Bairns v the Grandweans of Section B

The Airdrie game plan was obvious in giving Falkirk not much time to cut through the parked bus and credit that it worked for long spells. The shots which were blocked on the goal line came from throwing a quick ball in during that dominant spell: you can argue that the strikers (?) should do better but I could argue the same when Mutch made that great save from Carrick. As someone else said Connell did offer more of a battle to Falikrk's two CBs. I could feel the game change a bit in that 2nd half when Airdrie got  more free kicks from silly fouls,  It was another  good save by Mutch but Connnell reacted quicker. Falkirk are clearly in the lead but it was very similar to our games last season, and this L1 is a tight grind for most teams. Are Montrose on the rise again?  I can't really comment on what Falkirk fans think about today but it's narrow margins that determine results.  

Thought that was a really solid, professional performance from us today - delighted!

They’ve taken plenty of flack this season (most of it deserved) but the players were excellent and the manager got things spot on.

Whilst Falkirk dominated possession, Max Currie was hardly troubled - the goal line clearance by Fordyce and Dowds fluffing his lines in the first half, then a couple of scrappy goalmouth scrambles at the end apart. Equally, Dale Carrick forced a cracking save from Mutch and we got our goal, so I think you could argue we deserved that.

It’s a huge result for us and we have three very winnable games ahead in the coming weeks - need to make sure we get the job done and cement ourselves in that top four.

Airdrie are suited to playing the way they did today. Well organised compact hard to break down.Their issues are when they play against sides they are expected to get results against and have to take the game to them. We need to start making sure when teams come for a point that's the maximum they get.  A draw would not have been the end of the world today but to come away with nothing is a disaster really.

4 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

The Airdrie game plan was obvious in giving Falkirk not much time to cut through the parked bus and credit that it worked for long spells. The shots which were blocked on the goal line came from throwing a quick ball in during that dominant spell: you can argue that the strikers (?) should do better but I could argue the same when Mutch made that great save from Carrick. As someone else said Connell did offer more of a battle to Falikrk's two CBs. I could feel the game change a bit in that 2nd half when Airdrie got  more free kicks from silly fouls,  It was another  good save by Mutch but Connnell reacted quicker. Falkirk are clearly in the lead but it was very similar to our games last season, and this L1 is a tight grind for most teams. Are Montrose on the rise again?  I can't really comment on what Falkirk fans think about today but it's narrow margins that determine results.  

Agree with your assessment. As I've said if a team comes happy for a point then first and foremost make sure that's the maximum you give them and move on.  It's the worst way to lose 3 points in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Agree with your assessment. As I've said if a team comes happy for a point then first and foremost make sure that's the maximum you give them and move on.  It's the worst way to lose 3 points in my opinion.

That's a fair point indeed and narrow margins can decide games, and we got one of them. Although we have lost 4 games it's hard to say any side has been much better than us. I know this might not please some posters but Raith last season, and Arbroath before, just seemed to have that winning mentality. In this shortened season this will be crucial. I thought the TV was well presented and the main commentator was eventually good at recognizing our players-seriously he was professional and fair, given that quite rightly he is a Falkirk fan. I was listening on laptop with earpiece and never realised the other guy was on the other mike till late on!  See you later in season

24 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

A bad day at the office today, nothing more.
If we were to lose one this was the week with our key competitors both losing.
Nice to see the knicker wetters back again, been absent the last wee while....

Exactly. We were always going to lose at some point. Invincibles we are not. I’d rather lose when we’re ahead in the league than when we’re trying to catch up. We’re not entitled to win against anyone, despite what some think. Bad day at the office, move on and learn from the mistakes. 

5 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Exactly. We were always going to lose at some point. Invincibles we are not. I’d rather lose when we’re ahead in the league than when we’re trying to catch up. We’re not entitled to win against anyone, despite what some think. Bad day at the office, move on and learn from the mistakes. 

I think if you're outplayed you hold your hand up but we need to start limiting the damage in these circumstances.  It's concerning to see the same old problems rear their ugly head again though and the management having no real answer to preventing them.  We need more goals in our team.  Morrison started off well and papered over the cracks of a striking trio that simply won't score enough goals to get us up.  Keena needs to be fit asap.

2 hours ago, Syd Puddefoot said:

Play your best players in these games. Hindsight great I know, but Morrison and Alston shoulve started if fit. Last chance saloon for Leitch and he blew it. Airdrie set up well and we couldn't combat it. Must beat Partick now.

The managers knew Airdrie would park the bus and they tried to pick a team to deal with that.Today was just one of these days when we didn’t convert our chances.Having said that I gave Sammon a target of 4 goals from six games sadly despite his better efforts it’s very obvious he is not ever going to be the goal scorer we need to secure this league with just 1 in the last 5. I would drop both him and dowds and start with keana and Miller against partick . I don’t know why Alston and Morrison didn’t start but they were both pish when they came on anyway. Expect the unexpected indeed !

47 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

The managers knew Airdrie would park the bus and they tried to pick a team to deal with that.Today was just one of these days when we didn’t convert our chances.Having said that I gave Sammon a target of 4 goals from six games sadly despite his better efforts it’s very obvious he is not ever going to be the goal scorer we need to secure this league with just 1 in the last 5. I would drop both him and dowds and start with keana and Miller against partick . I don’t know why Alston and Morrison didn’t start but they were both pish when they came on anyway. Expect the unexpected indeed !

I.dont know how any side set up.to beat Airdrie could have leitch in it before Morrison. One is our top scorer and the other a squad player at best.

With teams playing each other three times this season and with Airdrie playing twice at the Falkirk Stadium then three points very welcome .

ps frustrating for all fans watching Falkirk TV if on field action missed due to the camera spending wasted time showing Falkirk subs x four or other off field activities or exercise bikes !!!

Edited by Diamond Sab

Surprised noones mentioned the fact that watching the highlights and the foul Airdrie's goal comes from is never a freekick in a million years. Boy looks where the defender is backs into him and falls down.  We certainly didn't get the rub of the green with that decision.

26 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Surprised noones mentioned the fact that watching the highlights and the foul Airdrie's goal comes from is never a freekick in a million years. Boy looks where the defender is backs into him and falls down.  We certainly didn't get the rub of the green with that decision.

Beautiful, isn't it? 

9 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Well to be honest I prefer 25 yard freekicks in the top bin or flowing moves from one end of the pitch to the other bit whatever floats your boat I suppose.

Pity your side never managed that, then. Or any manner of goal, for that matter. 

Unlike Airdrie, who did score. 

But of course, the beautiful part is you greetin' about the freekick from which our goal came. It's delectable.