Bairns v the Grandweans of Section B

15 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

The worst possible game at the worst possible time.  Pressure mounting on Murray, still hasn't a clue about his best XI.  Looking forward to some Airdrie fans telling us "this is a game we should be winning" while getting beat with an absolute whimper.

Falkirk 2-0 Airdrie.

Yeah I agree with this. From what I’ve seen Falkirk are much improved on the team we played last season and even then I felt we were lucky to come away with a draw in the December game after Miller and McCracken had came in. We obviously did pretty well against them when Ray McKinnon was in charge, particularly the 2-1 win, but I’m definitely not expecting a repeat of that this time round. What a difference a year makes though, that game and going top of the league the following week was probably the most excited the Airdrie support have been in years. A year or so later and we’re potentially six points off the play-offs after nine games if we lose on Saturday.

It’s a massive game for Ian Murray. He really needs a win but it’s hard to see where it’s coming from given the last two games. I still think we’ve seen enough in this Airdrie team to know that they could go and beat Falkirk if things went our way but the inconsistency, current defensive struggles and lack of any shots on target at the moment make that look very unlikely to happen on Saturday. I don’t think we’ll be hammered, we rarely are under Murray, but like yourself I’m expecting a fairly comfortable 2-0 win for Falkirk.

Looks like we should have everyone available except Keena. Would be a huge boost to have him back for next week.

For this one I'd go with

Mutch

Mercer Hall Dixon Kelly

Telfer Alston Gomis C Morrison

Dowds Sammon

Subs: PJ Morrison, Deveney, Durnan, G Miller, Todd, Leitch, Connolly, L Miller, Francis

1 hour ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Looks like we should have everyone available except Keena. Would be a huge boost to have him back for next week.

For this one I'd go with

Mutch

Mercer Hall Dixon Kelly

Dowds Sammon

Subs: PJ Morrison, Deveney, Durnan, G Miller, Todd, Leitch, Connolly, L Miller, Francis

Connolly would start in place of Alston for me. Telfer was excellent in the middle on Saturday and shouldn't be played wide IMO.

Will be a pathetically easy Falkirk win unfortunately. Ian Murray looked a man under pressure in his post-match interview on Saturday, and he certainly is with the fans, and we need to pull out a run of form from somewhere. Really can't see it being Saturday though and the board may well see this game as something of a free hit. I'm expecting changes to the team though unfortunately we'll still be set up to be pragmatic but quiescent and ineffectively so. 

For this one I'd go with

Mutch

Mercer Hall Dixon Kelly

Dowds Sammon

Harsh on Connolly. Agree with other posters, would keep the same starting 11 from Saturday and let Alston fight his way back in if/when fit.

United one of only two teams I haven't seen in this league this year. Quite surprised at their results over the last couple of games given the relatively strong start they made.

I'm guessing this will come too soon for Keena to start which is unfortunate.

14 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

United one of only two teams I haven't seen in this league this year. Quite surprised at their results over the last couple of games given the relatively strong start they made.

I'm guessing this will come too soon for Keena to start which is unfortunate.

The results may be a surprise to folk looking in from the outside, but every scoreline reflects the performance in that respective game, if that makes sense. The only "hard luck story" IMO was the Partick game where I reckon a draw would have been a fairer result (again IMO only!) but every other defeat we've thoroughly deserved it.  I'd be absolutely astounded at anything other than a fairly routine Falkirk win here.

I've got the fear for this one. Our biggest weakness defensively is crosses/set-plays and that's how Airdrie create most of their chances. Positive is that Murray seems v indecisive over his team selections. Didn't beat them in 3 attempts last season, but hoping that the Clyde win is a sign that we're putting our bogey teams to bed this year.

3 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

I've got the fear for this one. Our biggest weakness defensively is crosses/set-plays and that's how Airdrie create most of their chances. Positive is that Murray seems v indecisive over his team selections. Didn't beat them in 3 attempts last season, but hoping that the Clyde win is a sign that we're putting our bogey teams to bed this year.

I don't think you have much to be worried about at the moment, unfortunately.

We just need to approach this with confidence, which I think we will. M&M seem in recent weeks to be trusting the fact that we can play our game and go out looking for the win. No reason to change anything here. The "game at a time" approach is obviously the correct one, but they will surely have an eye on how big a marker they can put down in the next 2 weeks. Would be over the moon to see a Keena cameo just to kick the whole thing up a notch. Morrison and Alston are the obvious competition but we are still waiting for a good look at someone who could prove one of our best players. Be a great boost to get him scoring throught he winter