P&B Posters' Teams List

Bully Wee Villa

I’ve somehow missed this thread/the NFL section altogether, I’ll be a regular from now on!

I’m a Browns fan, the wife’s family are all Browns fans and I started following them not long after we met. Hoping to make my first game this year.

She’s also an OSU graduate so I follow the Buckeyes too. I was at a wedding in Kentucky last weekend and the guestbook were all singing Buckeye tunes, was quite the sight!

• 2 weeks later...

Jets man here due to them being the first team I went to cheer for.

Went to my first NFL game new years day 2006 - Jets against the Bills at the old swampland.
Jets winning with a kickoff return in the 4th quarter after having just fallen behind to a field goal, that's about all I remember other than the fact it was baltic!

Packers for me.

When I first watched it the Bears, Dolphins and 49ers were all the rage.  I saw the packers on TV, it looked cold, wet and miserable and I thought, that's the team for me!

That said, in most match-ups I root for the team that is furthest north.  My Mason-Dixie line runs just north of Indianapolis (apart for the kinks that allow Denver to be north of Indianapolis and the Patriots south of Indianapolis).

I am softening on the Patriots since the GOAT left though!

Yours

aDONis

On 10/09/2021 at 16:44, Bully Wee Villa said:

I believe that brings the Cheeseheads level with Da Bears as the most popular P&B teams.

Not sure "popular" is the best word.  I am sure if each supporter ranked every team by popularity then neither the bears of Packers would be far from the bottom. 😁

Watched regularly when channel 4 first picked it up and adopted the Seahawks. Only ever been to one game which was between the Tyneside Trojans and the Manchester Spartans. I suppose if I was starting now I'd follow the Ravens but, too late.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Why in God's name would anyone support the Lions? I'm not a big fan NFL fan, but have been thinking about watching more games. Of course, need to find a team to support first, to make things a bit more saucy. 

Really wanted to support an underachieving team, but the Lions - on paper - were far too dismal even for my liking. 

2 hours ago, The Other Foot said:

Why in God's name would anyone support the Lions? I'm not a big fan NFL fan, but have been thinking about watching more games. Of course, need to find a team to support first, to make things a bit more saucy. 

Really wanted to support an underachieving team, but the Lions - on paper - were far too dismal even for my liking. 

I highly recommend you find a team, I decided to support the Titans at the start of the season and I am fully submerged in everything NFL. I wish I followed it sooner.

16 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I highly recommend you find a team, I decided to support the Titans at the start of the season and I am fully submerged in everything NFL. I wish I followed it sooner.

5 years of following the Cardinals is feeling like paying off this year. Following a team definitely makes it better. 

47 minutes ago, Small Bovine Maisonette said:

Any criteria for a team, Other Foot? We could help you pick one.

Thanks SBM!

Team shouldn't be too uber-popular, and must be based in a city that isn't exactly touristy, but a bit quirky ( I'm drawn to both the Ravens and the Chiefs for the latter reason - love Bmore and KCity), but happy to be advised otherwise. 

Also - would be good if they were Champions a long time ago, but have struggled to compete since (e.g. Leafs in NHL). I want a team who craves the holy grail more than most others (e.g. Hibs, pre-2016)

Edited by The Other Foot

36 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

Thanks SBM!

Team shouldn't be too uber-popular, and must be based in a city that isn't exactly touristy, but a bit quirky ( I'm drawn to both the Ravens and the Chiefs for the latter reason - love Bmore and KCity), but happy to be advised otherwise. 

Also - would be good if they were Champions a long time ago, but have struggled to compete since (e.g. Leafs in NHL). I want a team who craves the holy grail more than most others (e.g. Hibs, pre-2016)

Depending how you feel about such things Baltimore have the baggage of how they came into existence.

1 hour ago, The Other Foot said:

Thanks SBM!

Okay, to remove the uber-popular I will rule out the top six most popular teams on the (admittedly not very scientific) list below.

https://bolavip.com/en/nfl/top-25-nfl-teams-with-most-fans-20200501-0001.html

So you can't choose Cowboys, Patriots, Steelers, Packers, Broncos or 49ers.

As for the not exactly touristy/a bit quirky criterion, I'm removing the New York City teams (they don't technically play there, but they're in the metropolitan area), Washington, Florida, LA and Las Vegas.

So it's bye bye Jets, Giants, Washington Football Team, Buccaneers, Dolphins, Rams, Chargers and Raiders.

With your reference to Hibs I take that to mean you don't just want a team that won a title years ago but also one that hasn't won one too recently?

I'm therefore removing all teams that have never won a Championship: Falcons, Bengals, Panthers, Jaguars and Texans and all the teams that have won (at least) one since the millennium: Buccaneers, Chiefs, Patriots, Eagles, Broncos, Seahawks, Ravens, Giants, Packers, Saints, Steelers, Colts, Rams.

Remaining teams, in alphabetical order (note that years below are the season not necessarily when the Super Bowl was held):

Arizona Cardinals: never won Super Bowl, last championship 1947 (as Chicago Cardinals).

They seem pretty good this year. If you're going to choose them, do so quickly as you may be considered a glory-hunter if you wait much longer. They have a longer history than anyone, albeit spread in various cities and states.

Buffalo Bills: never won a Super Bowl, last championship 1965.

Famously lost four Super Bowls in a row in the nineties, including one with a last second missed field goal, so have a claim to being the sport's ultimate "nearly men". Eschewing the bright lights of New York City for the frozen tundra of Northern New York State, they're a contender for most fashionably unfashionable team and, whisper it, have a pretty good team at the moment.

Chicago Bears: last Super Bowl 1985.

For the admission of bias, they're my team. They certainly have a great history, having won more titles than any team bar the Packers and also having had more Hall of Fame players than any other team. Still, they have just that one title since man landed on the Moon. They're the archetypal "fallen giants" (not to be confused with the actual Giants), so would fit your rules. However, I'll be honest, they aren't going to be challenging any time soon, not sure how vital that is to you? Also, how much do you care about having a good QB? Because the Bears never have one. It's a tradition.

Cleveland Browns: never won Super Bowl, last championship 1964.

Another bunch of former stars demoted to also-rans by years (well, decades) of misery. They won the All-America Football Conference in each of its four years of existence, then silenced any doubters by winning an NFL Championship at the first attempt, the first of four titles in fifteen seasons. 

Since then, though, it's been fairly shit. Made worse by having to watch their divisional rivals the Steelers win numerous Super Bowls. Then they had their team stolen and moved to Baltimore, and had to watch them win a Super Bowl, too. Twice.

They've probably suffered more than anyone, except maybe the Lions, this century, so would be a contender for best underdog story if they ever did finally win it all.

Detroit Lions: never won Super Bowl, last championship 1957.

You've said you don't want to support the Lions, and I can't say I blame you. Even managing to lose to the Bears takes some doing. However, there is a long P&B history of trying to bully new fans of the NFL into supporting the current worst team. Still, you've said you don't want to choose Detroit so it would be remiss of me to try to force you into picking them.

GO ON. CHOOSE THE LIONS.

Minnesota Vikings: never won Super Bowl, last Championship 1969.

Vikings is a pretty cool nickname (referring to the large number of Scandinavian immigrants in the area) and so is The Purple People Eaters. Like the Bears, they have suffered from decades of being in the same division as the Brett Favre/Aaron Rodgers-led Packers. They've even managed to have less success than the Bears in that time. Not less than the Lions, though. Let's not be silly.

Minneapolis would certainly fit the quirky/not too popular rule, I think.

Tennesee Titans: never won Super Bowl, last championship 1961 (as Houston Oilers).

I can't really think of too much to say about them, to be honest (probably why I disgracefully missed them off this list before this edit).

They make me think of Country and Western and the Republicans, which doesn't endear me to them. However, they're doing very well at the moment and, crucially, aren't the Patriots. So there's a decent chance I could be cheering for them come playoff time.

I would probably advise, though, to just have a read about some of the above teams and see if one catches your imagination. It can be the history, the current players, the colours or what the city is like. Don't let others influence you (though you should choose the Lions). And don't let others rush you into making a decision... remember.... you have to stick with them until you die. (CHOOSE THE LIONS CHOOSE THE LIONS CHOOSE THE LIONS).

If you have any questions about any of the teams feel free to ask on here.

And CHOOSE THE LIONS.

Edited by Small Bovine Maisonette

11 minutes ago, Small Bovine Maisonette said:

Okay, to remove the uber-popular I will rule out the top six most popular teams on the (admittedly not very scientific) list below.

As for the not exactly touristy/a bit quirky criterion, I'm removing the New York City teams (they don't technically play there, but they're in the metropolitan area), Washington, Florida, LA and Las Vegas.

So it's bye bye Jets, Giants, Washington Football Team, Buccaneers, Dolphins, Rams, Chargers and Raiders.

With your reference to Hibs I take that to mean you don't just want a team that won a title years ago but also one that hasn't won one too recently?

I'm therefore removing all teams that have never won a Championship: Falcons, Bengals, Panthers, Jaguars and Texans and all the teams that have won (at least) one since the millennium: Buccaneers, Chiefs, Patriots, Eagles, Broncos, Seahawks, Ravens, Giants, Packers, Saints, Steelers, Colts, Rams.

Remaining teams, in alphabetical order (note that years below are the season not necessarily when the Super Bowl was held):

Arizona Cardinals: never won Super Bowl, last championship 1947 (as Chicago Cardinals).

They seem pretty good this year. If you're going to choose them, do so quickly as you may be considered a glory-hunter if you wait much longer. They have a longer history than anyone, albeit spread in various cities and states.

Famously lost four Super Bowls in a row in the nineties, including one with a last second missed field goal, so have a claim to being the sport's ultimate "nearly men". Eschewing the bright lights of New York City for the frozen tundra of Northern New York State, they're a contender for most fashionably unfashionable team and, whisper it, have a pretty good team at the moment.

For the admission of bias, they're my team. They certainly have a great history, having won more titles than any team bar the Packers and also having had more Hall of Fame players than any other team. Still, they have just that one title since man landed on the Moon. They're the archetypal "fallen giants" (not to be confused with the actual Giants), so would fit your rules. However, I'll be honest, they aren't going to be challenging any time soon, not sure how vital that is to you? Also, how much do you care about having a good QB? Because the Bears never have one. It's a tradition.

Another bunch of former stars demoted to also-rans by years (well, decades) of misery. They won the All-America Football Conference in each of its four years of existence, then silenced any doubters by winning an NFL Championship at the first attempt, the first of four titles in fifteen seasons. 

Since then, though, it's been fairly shit. Made worse by having to watch their divisional rivals the Steelers win numerous Super Bowls. Then they had their team stolen and moved to Baltimore, and had to watch them win a Super Bowl, too. Twice.

They've probably suffered more than anyone, except maybe the Lions, this century, so would be a contender for best underdog story if they ever did finally win it all.

You've said you don't want to support the Lions, and I can't say I blame you. Even losing to the Bears takes some doing. However, there is a long P&B history of trying to bully new recruits into supporting the current worst team. Still, you've said you don't want to choose Detroit so it would be remiss of me to try to force you into picking them.

Hide contents

GO ON. CHOOSE THE LIONS.

Vikings is a pretty cool nickname (referring to the large number of Scandinavian immigrants in the area) and so is The Purple People Eaters. Like the Bears, they have suffered from decades of being in the same division as the Brett Favre/Aaron Rodgers-led Packers. They've even managed to have less success than the Bears in that time. Not less than the Lions, though. Let's not be silly.

I would probably advise, though, to just have a read about some of the above teams and see if one catches your imagination. It can be the history, the current players, the colours or what the city is like. Don't let others influence you (though you should choose the Lions). And don't let others rush you into making a decision... remember.... you have to stick with them until you die. (CHOOSE THE LIONS CHOOSE THE LIONS CHOOSE THE LIONS).

And CHOOSE THE LIONS.

The Titans are always forgotten. 

Shame on you.

5 hours ago, The Other Foot said:

Thanks SBM!

Pick a team you enjoy watching- I became a Packers fan in the late 2000s just because it was a team I enjoyed watching.

I watched a bunch of games and those were the ones I enjoyed. 

6 hours ago, Small Bovine Maisonette said:

You've said you don't want to support the Lions, and I can't say I blame you. Even managing to lose to the Bears takes some doing. However, there is a long P&B history of trying to bully new fans of the NFL into supporting the current worst team. Still, you've said you don't want to choose Detroit so it would be remiss of me to try to force you into picking them.

Hide contents

GO ON. CHOOSE THE LIONS.

Tennesee Titans: never won Super Bowl, last championship 1961 (as Houston Oilers).

I can't really think of too much to say about them, to be honest (probably why I disgracefully missed them off this list before this edit).

They make me think of Country and Western and the Republicans, which doesn't endear me to them. However, they're doing very well at the moment and, crucially, aren't the Patriots. So there's a decent chance I could be cheering for them come playoff time.

And CHOOSE THE LIONS.

What can I say? Phenomenal response here SBM. 

Let me address the Lions issue first. When I had initially considered all the teams, they were the primary contender. But there are two issues: firstly, I'm just not blown away by the idea of Detroit City itself. Would I want to visit? Sure. Would I want it to be the epicentre of my NFL attentions? Probably not. Secondly, they don't just seem to be miserable failures by chance - they seem to have completely unambitious management/ownership. Might be wrong on this, but think I'm going to sidestep them. 

Of the other teams you've mentioned, the ones that immediately jump out are the Browns, Vikings and Titans. Cardinals sound like they're getting a bit faddy, I'm not a big fan of Chicago-based teams in any sport, and Buffalo... well, I've been to Buffalo and I won't be going back.

Of the remaining three - I'm strongly favouring the Vikings as I've always had a really strong urge to support a sports team from Minnesota/Wisconsin.

But there's one last issue:

Which team out of the Browns, Vikings and Titans has the best stadium? Perhaps this isn't a thing with football, but it's huge in baseball. 

6 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Depending how you feel about such things Baltimore have the baggage of how they came into existence.

This has killed the Ravens for me. Thanks for flagging. 

1 hour ago, South Lanarkshire Jag said:

Pick a team you enjoy watching- I became a Packers fan in the late 2000s just because it was a team I enjoyed watching.

I watched a bunch of games and those were the ones I enjoyed. 

Thanks for the suggestion, SLJ. Probably a sensible option. 

The Vikings actually have my favourite player in football, and I include the Broncos in that. Adam Thielen. Great player, great story about making it in the NFL. I love his smartness, route running, great hands, and doesn’t shy away from physical contact. An intelligent football player who is great to watch and easy to root for, even as an opposition fan.