Mifi for static caravan

sfha

The Wifi system at our caravan park is being switched off in January as it wasn't cost effective for the firm that ran it and we've been advised to get our own Mifi system and I've seen a few on the internet. We use the caravan a full 6 weeks a year with weekends every month or so in between. Can anyone give me pointers as to the best and cheapest deals. The ones I've seen are 18 or 24 month contracts but I was also looking for deals that are PAYG.

Cheers

First thing to check is which firm has the best signal at your caravan park. GiffGaff use the O2 network and do an unlimited data sim for £35 a month which you can cancel whenever you want, otherwise it could get very pricey especially if you want to stream video by buying PAYG gigabytes as you use them. Not sure if you need a dongle or if you can just use your phone as a hotspot.

https://www.giffgaff.com/sim-only-deals

Cheers!

EE and O2 appear to be the networks that are stronger at the site. I understand you can buy a gadget that you can plug a sim into  and it extends to something like 10 devices. Considering we were originally paying up to £15 per week the £35 deal looks ok. I've seen deals of around £20-30 per month but these are on 2 year contracts which I hope to avoid.

• 2 weeks later...

Giffgaff works fine for streaming and you can buy the goodiebags as and when you need them. If you have an android phone you can set it up as a WiFi hotspot which might be good enough for your needs in a caravan. If you're not using Giffgaff as your main mobile network I think you need to send a text every six months or something to keep the SIM active

• 4 months later...

Well I went ahead and bought a Huawei mobile router and put in a sim from giffgaff (an 100gb for£20).  Works a treat and is 100% better than the old system.

Edited by sfha