The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2021

On 05/02/2021 at 20:07, Rizzo said:

Have so many happy memories of seeing TMTCH. Went to what was essentially a wee fund raiser type gig in June in 2019 that a few of them were playing and the guys had plenty of time for folk. It started off raining but turned into a lovely summer's evening. Seen him and the other band he played with in the Vortex in Cumbernauld in Septemeber that year as well.

Had my eye on their Facebook page as they were holding off cancelling a gig somewhere around Blackpool that was booked for the summer and we had planned to go provided restrictions allowed it.

Dunno if its just he current situation and this is a straw breaking a camels back situation but was in absolute floods of tears when I read the news earlier.

20190913_232048.jpg

15 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

5 (FIVE) deaths this week, so I might be a while.

14 deaths in less than 40 days. If we keep this hitrate up, we're on track for over 130 deaths this year. 2021 has been twice as lethal as 2020, so far.

Week 6 update

Humph. Up first this week was a state senator from Maryland, Thomas V. Mike Miller Jr.: Maryland officials to remember longtime Senate president Maryland President Memories President AP | The Independent

He was a politician for a long time. Literally all I know about Maryland is from watching The Wire, so have a think about that if you want. 

Miller died at 78, so he's worth 47 Base Points. He was a Solo Shot for @Indale Winton for a total of 97 points.

========================

Second up this week was the actor Hal Holbrook: Hal Holbrook: Actor who brought historic American figures to life on stage and screen | The Independent

Hal Holbrook was an actor best known for portraying Mark Twain and other historic American figures on television and on the stage during a career that spanned six decades.

Holbrook won a Tony Award for his 1966 one-man show as Twain on Broadway and Emmy Awards for television performances including one as Abraham Lincoln.

He was weeks shy of his 83rd birthday when he finally received an Academy Award nomination, for Best Supporting Actor in Into the Wild, the real-life story of a young adventurer who starved to death in the Alaskan wilderness. Holbrook played a widower befriended by the protagonist. He lost the award to Javier Bardem, honoured for his role in No Country for Old Men.

--------------

Harold Rowe Holbrook Jr was born on 17 February 1925, in Cleveland, the middle child of three. His shoe-salesman father, Harold, abandoned the family, and his mother, Aileen, a vaudeville dancer, left home to continue her career when Holbrook was two. He and his two sisters were raised mainly by their paternal grandparents in South Weymouth, Massachusetts.

He attended Culver Military Academy in Indiana, served with the US Army Corps of Engineers in the Second World War and studied theatre at Denison University in Ohio, graduating in 1948.

I didn't realise he'd been Oscar-nominated for Into the Wild. Or that it was the same year as No Country For Old Men. I've seen both films and read both books. I also didn't realise that someone as recognisable to me (maybe that film, maybe people picking him every year I've done this) was in so few films. He seems to have been intensely memorable in his roles though, so have a watch of this:

Holbrook died at 95, so he's worth 30 Base Points. He was a Deadly Duo pick for @pub car king and @Savage Henry, for 55 points each.

========================

Up next this week was charity fundraiser Tom Moore: Captain Sir Tom Moore: 'National inspiration' dies with Covid-19 - BBC News

There's something ironic about him dying in a week with four other picks. If it was just him I'd post a few paragraphs about the vulgarity of the last year of his life and how, in my view, it was exploited by various people for equally unthinkable reasons. I could comment on how British society as a collective is so unable to process grief and emotion that figures like this end up being cultural touchstones in a way which forgoes any logic or decency. I could comment on how strange it is that for the first time in 26 months I don't feel the need to actually copy anything from his obituaries to post here explaining who he was or why he was famous, but then the past 11 of those months haven't been normal. 

What I will say, however, is that here is a 100 year old man who spent the last year of his life doing things he could never have imagined. In doing so he was able to provide solace and inspiration to a lot of people at a time when it didn't seem like they had any. Despite that, it's important to remember the willingness with which the media and government used him to deflect from their own failings. It's also important to remember that while he went to Barbados, met the Queen, got to be on television and magazines and died with his family after being sick for a few days. Thousands of people like him have spent the past year dying alone, in pain. 

Moore died at 100, so he's worth 25 Base Points. He was a pick for @Bulbasaur, @coprolite, @doulikefish, @Fuctifano, @Lex, @Lofarl and @Mark Connolly, with @The Hologram picking him as Captain for 50 points total. I've also just noticed that Google claims he is a "British businessman." Maybe that says more than I ever could.

========================

Up next this week was the actor Christopher Plummer: Christopher Plummer obituary | Film | The Guardian

Destined, or doomed, to be remembered as Captain von Trapp in the 1965 film of Rodgers and Hammerstein’s The Sound of Music, Christopher Plummer, who has died aged 91, was a tremendous actor, and leading star, on stage, screen and Alpine meadow for more than six decades.

With an imposing physique, a broad brow, sculpted features and a magnificent voice, he played almost all the leading Shakespearean roles – mostly in his native Canada, at the Stratford, Ontario, Shakespeare festival. But he also had brief spells with the Royal Shakespeare Company and the National Theatre in Britain, while maintaining a film career that never looked back after an auspicious debut in Sidney Lumet’s theatrical comedy Stage Struck (1958), alongside Henry Fonda and Susan Strasberg.

He outlasted fellow hellraisers such as Peter Finch and Richard Burton – he once contracted hepatitis when over-partying with Tyrone Power – to become the go-to actor for senior star roles. These ranged, in 2009 alone, from a dying, but still robust and flirtatious, Leo Tolstoy in Michael Hoffman’s The Last Station – for which he was nominated for an Oscar – to the hilarious, eponymous showman in Terry Gilliam’s The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus, Heath Ledger’s last movie, and the voice of explorer Charles Muntz in the computer-animated masterpiece Up. Beginners (2010) brought him a best supporting actor Oscar, as Hal, a retired museum director who tells his cartoonist son, Oliver (Ewan McGregor), of his terminal cancer and relationship with a young male lover.

I've never seen The Sound of Music. I also don't care for Shakespeare. Looking through his filmography the only thing I've seen that I can actually remember him in is A Beautiful Mind. Still, long career, successful, well-respected, good career. I didn't know he was Canadian either. 

Plummer died at 91, making him worth 34 Base Points. He was a pick for @amnarab, @D.V.T., @Ludo*1, @HI HAT and @stanton.

========================

Up last this week was the boxer Leon Spinks: Leon Spinks, former world heavyweight champion who upset Ali, dies aged 67 | Boxing | The Guardian

Here he is during the fight where he beat Muhammad Ali to be world heavyweight champion:

Leon Spinks

Leon Spinks, who won Olympic gold and then shocked the boxing world by beating Muhammad Ali to win the heavyweight title in only his eighth pro fight, has died. He was 67.

Spinks, who lived his later years in Las Vegas, died Friday night, according to a release from a public relations firm. He had been battling prostate and other cancers.

His wife, Brenda Glur Spinks, and a few close friends and other family members were by his side when he passed away.

A lovable heavyweight with a drinking problem, Spinks beat Ali by decision in a 15-round fight in 1978 to win the title. He was unranked at the time, and picked as an opponent because Ali was looking for an easy fight.

He got anything but that, with an unorthodox Spinks swarming over Ali throughout the fight on his way to a stunning win by split decision. The two met seven months later at the Superdome in New Orleans, with Ali taking the decision this time before a record indoor boxing crowd of 72,000 and a national television audience estimated at 90m people.

Spinks died at 67, making him worth 58 Base Points for @101, @Arbroathlegend36-0, @Arch Stanton, @Billy Jean King, @buddiepaul, @Cardinal Richelieu, @doulikefish, @Fuctifano, @jimbaxters, @JustOneCornetto, @Lofarl, @nessies long lost ghost, @peasy23, @psv_killie, @pub car king, @Raidernation, @sleazy and @thistledo. He was @Ludo*1's Vice-Captain for 87 points and @Savage Henry's Captain for 116.

========================

After all of that, the standings look like this:

1. Savage Henry 253
2. choirbairn 180
3. doulikefish, Fuctifano 126
5. Ned Nederlander 122
6. Ludo*1, pub car king, stanton 112

9. Bishop Briggs 105
10. dee_62 101
11. Indale Winton 97
12. psv_killie 96
13. Mark Connolly 94
14. amnarab 91
15. HI HAT 90
16. Lofarl 83
17. gkneil 69
18. Lex 63
19. 101, Arbroathlegend36-0, Arch Stanton, Billy Jean King, buddiepaul, Cardinal Richelieu, jimbaxters, JustOneCornetto, nessies long lost ghost, peasy23, Raidernation, sleazy, thistledo
32. Amandajoan, HI HAT 56
34. The Hologram 50
35. Bert Raccoon 38
36. D.V.T. 34
37. Bulbasaur, coprolite 25

39. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-OTo44wF_W7A4Q0NFnd1sX3qEDdxTLDobvjhhSgnzkg/edit?usp=sharing

I think the standings are right. I'm sure Aim Here will be along to check shortly. 

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

20 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Week 6 update

Humph. Up first this week was a state senator from Maryland, Thomas V. Mike Miller Jr.: Maryland officials to remember longtime Senate president Maryland President Memories President AP | The Independent

He was a politician for a long time. Literally all I know about Maryland is from watching The Wire, so have a think about that if you want. 

Miller died at 78, so he's worth 47 Base Points. He was a Solo Shot for @Indale Winton for a total of 97 points.

========================

Second up this week was the actor Hal Holbrook: Hal Holbrook: Actor who brought historic American figures to life on stage and screen | The Independent

I didn't realise he'd been Oscar-nominated for Into the Wild. Or that it was the same year as No Country For Old Men. I've seen both films and read both books. I also didn't realise that someone as recognisable to me (maybe that film, maybe people picking him every year I've done this) was in so few films. He seems to have been intensely memorable in his roles though, so have a watch of this:

Holbrook died at 95, so he's worth 30 Base Points. He was a Deadly Duo pick for @pub car king and @Savage Henry, for 55 points each.

========================

Up next this week was charity fundraiser Tom Moore: Captain Sir Tom Moore: 'National inspiration' dies with Covid-19 - BBC News

There's something ironic about him dying in a week with four other picks. If it was just him I'd post a few paragraphs about the vulgarity of the last year of his life and how, in my view, it was exploited by various people for equally unthinkable reasons. I could comment on how British society as a collective is so unable to process grief and emotion that figures like this end up being cultural touchstones in a way which forgoes any logic or decency. I could comment on how strange it is that for the first time in 26 months I don't feel the need to actually copy anything from his obituaries to post here explaining who he was or why he was famous, but then the past 11 of those months haven't been normal. 

What I will say, however, is that here is a 100 year old man who spent the last year of his life doing things he could never have imagined. In doing so he was able to provide solace and inspiration to a lot of people at a time when it didn't seem like they had any. Despite that, it's important to remember the willingness with which the media and government used him to deflect from their own failings. It's also important to remember that while he went to Barbados, met the Queen, got to be on television and magazines and died with his family after being sick for a few days. Thousands of people like him have spent the past year dying alone, in pain. 

Moore died at 100, so he's worth 25 Base Points. He was a pick for @Bulbasaur, @coprolite, @doulikefish, @Fuctifano, @Lex, @Lofarl and @Mark Connolly, with @The Hologram picking him as Captain for 50 points total. I've also just noticed that Google claims he is a "British businessman." Maybe that says more than I ever could.

========================

Up next this week was the actor Christopher Plummer: Christopher Plummer obituary | Film | The Guardian

I've never seen The Sound of Music. I also don't care for Shakespeare. Looking through his filmography the only thing I've seen that I can actually remember him in is A Beautiful Mind. Still, long career, successful, well-respected, good career. I didn't know he was Canadian either. 

Plummer died at 91, making him worth 34 Base Points. He was a pick for @amnarab, @D.V.T., @Ludo*1, @HI HAT and @stanton.

========================

Up last this week was the boxer Leon Spinks: Leon Spinks, former world heavyweight champion who upset Ali, dies aged 67 | Boxing | The Guardian

Here he is during the fight where he beat Muhammad Ali to be world heavyweight champion:

Leon Spinks

Spinks died at 67, making him worth 58 Base Points for @101, @Arbroathlegend36-0, @Arch Stanton, @Billy Jean King, @buddiepaul, @Cardinal Richelieu, @doulikefish, @Fuctifano, @jimbaxters, @JustOneCornetto, @Lofarl, @nessies long lost ghost, @peasy23, @psv_killie, @pub car king, @Raidernation, @sleazy and @thistledo. He was @Ludo*1's Vice-Captain for 87 points and @Savage Henry's Captain for 116.

========================

1. Savage Henry 253
2. choirbairn 180
5. Ned Nederlander 122

9. Bishop Briggs 105
10. dee_62 101
11. Indale Winton 97
12. psv_killie 96
13. Mark Connolly 94
14. amnarab 91
15. HI HAT 90
16. Lofarl 83
17. Savage Henry 82
18. gkneil 69
19. Lex 63
20. 101, Arbroathlegend36-0, Arch Stanton, Billy Jean King, buddiepaul, Cardinal Richelieu, jimbaxters, JustOneCornetto, nessies long lost ghost, peasy23, Raidernation, sleazy, thistledo
33. Amandajoan, HI HAT 56
35. The Hologram 50
36. Bert Raccoon 38
37. D.V.T. 34
38. Bulbasaur, coprolite 25

40. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-OTo44wF_W7A4Q0NFnd1sX3qEDdxTLDobvjhhSgnzkg/edit?usp=sharing

I think the standings are right. I'm sure Aim Here will be along to check shortly. 

How come I’m both 1st and 17th?

41 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Week 6 update

========================

========================

========================

========================

Leon Spinks

========================

1. Savage Henry 253
2. choirbairn 180
5. Ned Nederlander 122

9. Bishop Briggs 105
10. dee_62 101
11. Indale Winton 97
12. psv_killie 96
13. Mark Connolly 94
14. amnarab 91
15. HI HAT 90
16. Lofarl 83
17. gkneil 69
18. Lex 63
19. 101, Arbroathlegend36-0, Arch Stanton, Billy Jean King, buddiepaul, Cardinal Richelieu, jimbaxters, JustOneCornetto, nessies long lost ghost, peasy23, Raidernation, sleazy, thistledo
32. Amandajoan, HI HAT 56
34. The Hologram 50
35. Bert Raccoon 38
36. D.V.T. 34
37. Bulbasaur, coprolite 25

39. Everyone else 0

Ahem

doulikefish and Fuctifano are on 121 points, not 126 (arithmetic error in the spreadsheet - the scores are right, but you added them up wrong)

Ludo*1 should also be on 121 points (again, an arithmetic error)

pub car king should be on 113 points (arithmetic)

HI HAT should be on 90 points (you forgot to add his score for Christopher Plummer)

All the rest are right, by my reckoning.

Edited by Aim Here

11 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Ahem

doulikefish and Fuctifano are on 121 points, not 126 (arithmetic error in the spreadsheet - the scores are right, but you added them up wrong)

Ludo*1 should also be on 121 points (again, an arithmetic error)

pub car king should be on 113 points (arithmetic)

HI HAT should be on 90 points (you forgot to add his score for Christopher Plummer)

All the rest are right, by my reckoning.

Pretty sure all of these suffered from having two scoring picks this week, I ended up mixing them up when I was putting everyone in place:

1. Savage Henry 253
2. choirbairn 180
3. Ned Nederlander 122
4. doulikefish, Fuctifano, Ludo*1 121
7. pub car king 113
8. stanton 112
9. Bishop Briggs 105
10. dee_62 101
11. Indale Winton 97
12. psv_killie 96
13. Mark Connolly 94
14. amnarab 91
15. HI HAT 90
16. Lofarl 83
17. gkneil 69
18. Lex 63
32. Amandajoan 56
33. The Hologram 50
34. Bert Raccoon 38
35. D.V.T. 34
36. Bulbasaur, coprolite 25
38. Everyone else 0

4 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Yes after a barren January 2 in a week.

The coronavirus is really inflating expectations. On average, a deadpooler should expect to score maybe two or three hits in a normal year. Now people are getting tetchy and irritable if they're not scoring a hit every month. This thread will be nothing but insatiable bloodlust by December, you mark my words.

41 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

The coronavirus is really inflating expectations. On average, a deadpooler should expect to score maybe two or three hits in a normal year. Now people are getting tetchy and irritable if they're not scoring a hit every month. This thread will be nothing but insatiable bloodlust by December, you mark my words.

Nobody has yet been disqualified for murdering one of their picks.  Do you think this could be the year this finally comes to fruition?