The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2021

1 hour ago, cdisaaccie said:

Clyde supporting wean must have been CK I think.

Christ I've been on this forum a long time.

Don't think it was him. Ochil Clyde maybe? I mean he's probably about 30 now but I still think of certain posters as being stuck at the same age. 

Can we have a Covid-19 points modifier of 19 additional points?  But this current dead pool I’ve had 5 hits.  My best yet.  To anyone new to this my advice is to pick obscure and young famous people.  It’s a great way to fly up the charts.  Trust me.

Also the nice bonus should be brought back for people dying in a sex act.  I maintain that one of my picks was a sexual deviant and probably enjoyed death.

Edited by Lofarl

20 hours ago, cdisaaccie said:

More difficult than you think.

Every year most folk have Phil the Greek on their team.
Every year he sticks the fingers up at us at midnight on NYE.

I hate to be pedantic but I think it's more likely he has the servants do it.

On 13/12/2020 at 23:32, Lofarl said:

Can we have a Covid-19 points modifier of 19 additional points?  But this current dead pool I’ve had 5 hits.  My best yet.  To anyone new to this my advice is to pick obscure and young famous people.  It’s a great way to fly up the charts.  Trust me.

Also the nice bonus should be brought back for people dying in a sex act.  I maintain that one of my picks was a sexual deviant and probably enjoyed death.

You should all be lucky if I don't take 19 points off for anyone with a pre-existing condition who dies of it. No rewards for the obvious, imo.

6 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

PS @Tynierose @Cardinal Richelieu @Bully Wee Villa get this stickied and get a team in

I'll certainly be doing so, but not until later in the month. One of my picks turned 100 this year and she's probably fitter and healthier than I am. 

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

On 13/12/2020 at 16:30, get_the_subbies_on said:

How difficult can this be? I’m in.

Depends...I went for quantity over quality to see if that’ll work, but if any of you sicko’s hit on an 18 or so year-old who croaks while named as your captain, I’m not sure I can possibly catch you even if my whole team is murdered after 11 PM on December 31st of next year!

7 hours ago, TxRover said:

Depends...I went for quantity over quality to see if that’ll work, but if any of you sicko’s hit on an 18 or so year-old who croaks while named as your captain, I’m not sure I can possibly catch you even if my whole team is murdered after 11 PM on December 31st of next year!

I wouldn't worry too much. For the 2020 pool, the two sickos who picked the 23-year old with terminal cancer are languishing in mid-table obscurity while the 23-(now 24-) year old in question is living happily ever after, to spite them.

And the quantity-over-quality strategy doesn't seem to be generally worse than the quality-based approach; if anything, it's the reverse. In the 2020 pool, if you rank the players by how much their rosters are able to score (ignoring time- and manner-of-death- related bonuses), the  guys whose rosters are in the lowest 40% of potential score have, on average, 70 or so more points than the guys in the top 60%. I reckon it's those 50-point bonuses. Those  roughly double the points you gain from picking a death, but individuals are 3-4 times worse than the mob at doing that picking. People are mostly dumber than they think they are.

You could 'balance' the game by bumping the  solo shot bonus up to about 125 or so, but it's more fun this way; it is possible to use the solo bonuses to get an advantage, but the majority of punters choosing this route get punished for their hubris instead.