The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2021

Week 49 update

Three deaths this week. Up first, Formula One team boss Frank Williams: Sir Frank Williams obituary: A Formula 1 icon & one of greatest team owners - BBC Sport

A measure of his devotion to the sport was that he was prepared to put his own comfort second to the success of his team. When he faced a decision some years ago between building a wind tunnel that would help make the cars go faster and keeping the private plane that allowed him to attend the farthest-flung races, he chose the wind tunnel.

To those who had studied his career closely, this sort of decision was no surprise, for Williams had to endure a number of difficult and painful years of financial struggle before finally establishing himself in the sport.

From his first venture as a team owner in 1969, Williams went through several guises, all of them awfully uncompetitive and terribly financially insecure.

At one stage, so tight had money become, he was famously operating his business out of a phone booth, after losing the premises he was using.

The breakthrough came in 1977, when he teamed up with the brilliant engineer Patrick Head and became a trend-setter in finding money from the Middle East.

Helped by increased resources allowed by Saudi money, Head's first car for the team, FW06, established them as serious contenders for the first time in 1978. And from the mid-point of 1979, with the new FW07 - one of history's great F1 cars - Williams became the sport's absolute pace-setters.

Poor reliability and an eccentric scoring system cost them the world championship in 1979, but they made no mistake in 1980, with Australian Alan Jones romping to the title.

Here's a video tribute from the F1 youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfmfh4B84Ok

I like waxing lyrical about sport in the old days whenever I get the opportunity here, and for all the money that's changed team sports, there's arguably no better example of this than the way motor racing has changed. Frank Williams started a team in the highest level of motorsport by just... starting it. He got a chassis and some parts and they raced. This is how it worked in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Nowadays you have the sport actively courting some of the biggest car manufacturers in the world trying to get them involved, you have annual budgets for a single car for a season amounting to 100,000,000 and more, and the sport is as impenetrable as it's ever been. Bernie Ecclestone said that Formula 1 wouldn't be the sport it is without Frank Williams' influence, and he's right. He is a quite literal example of something that will never happen again.

Williams died at 79 so he's worth 46 Base Points for @psv_killie, @sleazy, @sparky88, @speckled tangerine and @The Master, with a Captain bonus for @D.V.T. giving 92 points.

========================

Second death this week was Australian actor David Gulpilil: David Gulpilil obituary: Walkabout star a ‘consummate actor’ who helped reinvent Australian film | Australia news | The Guardian

The charismatic actor, mesmerising dancer and cultural icon David Gulpilil is finally going home. Gulpilil, of the Mandhalpuyngu clan in Arnhem Land, spent his final years battling lung cancer in the care of his friend Mary Hood in Murray Bridge, in South Australia. He often said how much he missed his country but understood his deteriorating health made it impossible to travel.

With his trademark dry humour, Gulpilil told film-maker and friend Molly Reynolds in 2020 that he was “going back to country on a one-way ticket”. He died on Monday aged 68.

Gulpilil said he was born “under a tree” and grew up steeped in his culture. A gifted young performer, he used the rangy elegance of his frame to tell a story, a skill that he adapted to his film career.

“I don’t have to go and act. I just jump in and stand there and the camera sees me,” Gulpilil told Reynolds. My Name Is Gulpilil was their final collaboration, a powerful film he called “my story of my story”, released earlier this year to wide acclaim.

At 15, he was already an accomplished hunter, tracker and ceremonial dancer. In 1969 when English film director Nicolas Roeg toured to Arnhem Land scouting locations for a forthcoming film, he asked elders – no strangers to film-making thanks to visits from the anthropologist Donald Thomson – who was their best young dancer. According to Gulpilil, they all pointed at him. He was 16 when Walkabout was released, his first film. For the role he added English to the many Indigenous languages in which he was already fluent.

Gulpilil became an instant global celebrity. As a fresh faced, besuited young man he went from Arnhem Land to London, where he met the Queen, then Paris and beyond. He mingled with John Lennon and Muhammad Ali. He hung out with Bruce Lee, played yidaki (didjeridu) with Jimi Hendrix and Bob Marley.

His role in Walkabout is credited with helping bring an end to the use of blackface in Australian cinema. Until his arrival on the screen, with the exception of Rosemary Kunoth-Monks and Robert Tudawali in Charles Chauvel’s Jedda (1956), the custom had been for white actors to play Indigenous characters. Aboriginal people had been portrayed by non-Aboriginal actors, including Ed Devereaux and Kamahl (Journey Out of Darkness, 1967).

As ever it's time to look at his filmography and see what I know him from. I've seen The Proposition, a long time ago. Don't remember a thing. 

The internet doesn't seem to know when Gulpilil was born, but Wikipedia says Local missionaries recorded his birth on 1 July 1953, based on "guesswork," so I'm going with that. This means he died at 68, making him worth 57 Base Points for @Bishop Briggs, @chomp my root and @thistledo, with a Captain bonus returning 114 points for @Arabdownunder.

========================

Final death this week was the German footballer Horst Eckel: Horst Eckel, last of the 1954 World Cup winners, dies... | Daily Mail Online

BERLIN (AP) - Horst Eckel, the last surviving member of West Germany´s 1954 World Cup-winning team, has died. He was 89.

The German soccer federation said Eckel died Friday. It did not give a cause of death.

Eckel was one of only two West German players to play in every match as the team completed the "Wonder of Bern" by beating pre-tournament favorite Hungary 3-2 in the final.

Fritz Walter, the team's captain, was the other. Walter was a Kaiserslautern teammate of Eckel´s and a mentor for the then-22-year-old midfielder, who was the youngest in the West German squad. The World Cup win signified the country's return to the international soccer stage following World War II. German teams weren't able to enter the 1950 tournament.

"As a team player he was outstanding," former Kaiserslautern player and coach Otto Rehhagel said at Eckel´s 85th birthday celebration in 2017.

Eckel made his first appearance for West Germany in November 1952 after being spotted by national team coach Sepp Herberger playing for Kaiserslautern in a friendly game against Schalke. Eckel scored two goals and was recommended by Walter, who benefitted from his teammate´s tireless running on the right.

Here's another nice quote about sport has changed over the years:

World Cup success did not alter much for the 22-year-old Eckel. He earned 320 German marks ($76 at the time) per month from Kaiserslautern and needed another job to survive.

Bristol City reportedly offered Eckel 20 times more than he was earning at Kaiserslautern but there was no question of him leaving the club.

"I know nobody would understand today why I didn´t move. But I didn´t play soccer for money. I just wanted to be a good player, that was all," Eckel told Kicker magazine in 2017. "I would have even paid money to play for Kaiserslautern."

Eckel was always a Kaiserslautern fan. As a youth, he used to cycle 30 kilometers (19 miles) to see the team play. He watched through a hole in the fence because he didn´t have money for tickets, according to 11 Freunde magazine.

Eckel was already playing for hometown club SC Vogelbach when he was 15, winning attention with his goals as a forward. He signed with Kaiserslautern when he was 17, joining his idol Walter, who quickly took the young Eckel under his wing.

League titles followed in 1951 and 1954. Eckel made 214 league appearances for Kaiserslautern between 1949-60 before leaving for SV Röchling Völklingen.

Eckel died at 89, so he's worth 36 Base Points. He was a Solo Shot for @101 for an extra 50 and a Deadly December bonus for another set of Base Points takes him up to a total of 112 points.

As a result of all this, the standings look like this:

1. Ned Nederlander 713
2. Bishop Briggs 481
3. psv_killie 459

4. Savage Henry 429
5. Fuctifano 420
6. chomp my root 346

7. Indale Winton 332
8. pub car king 301

9. Arch Stanton 270
10. sparky88 267

11. Aim Here, Cardinal Richelieu, Ludo*1 255
14. Lofarl 243
15. choirbairn 240
16. senorsoupe 236
17. JustOneCornetto 233
18. Arabdownunder 226

19. buddiepaul 223
20. expatowner 217
21. ICTJohnboy 216
22. 101 206

23. gkneil 203
24. sleazy 202

25. Sherrif John Bunnell 198
26. Arbroathlegend36-0, Sweaty Morph 196
28. D.V.T. 194

29. Willie adie 180
30. Bert Raccoon 179
31. jimbaxters 172

32. BillyAnchor, cdhafc1874, lichtgilphead 167
35. thistledo 165

36. doulikefish 163
37. qos_75 162
38. ThomCat 161
39. HI HAT 160
40. Salvo Montalbano 159
41. speckled tangerine 158

42. peasy23 156
43. stanton 149
44. The DA 146
45. El Guapo 141
46. theportman 139

47. weejack 138
48. Billy Jean King 128
49. The_Craig 127

50. lolls, Mark Connolly 120
52. Curmudgeon 118
53. Enigma 112
54. 10menwent2mow, Ben Twilly 107
56. Amandajoan 103
57. Bold Rover 102
58. dee_62 101
59. Empty It 94
60. amnarab 91
61. Lex, The Hologram 89
63. mathematics, tamthebam 86
65. nessies long lost ghost 84
66. weirdcal 83
67. Raidernation 77
68. Karpaty Lviv 76
69. The Master 72

70. Blootoon87, Perkin Flump, Sergeant Wilson 70
73. CountyFan 67
74. LoonsYouthTeam 62
75. TxRover 55
76. Busta Nut, cambozpar, djchapsticks, Duszek 52
80. Bulbasaur, coprolite 51
82. dagane 42
83. Eednud, gingette, GTG_03, Melanius Mullarkey, microdave, mozam76, paulathame, Shotgun, The Naitch, thisal 26
93. ZERO POINTERS: @alta-pete, @get_the_subbies_on, @Hamish's Passenger, @HK Hibee, @Mr. Alli, @Miguel Sanchez, @pawpar, @Raven, @ToBeSomeone, @wellinwigan

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-OTo44wF_W7A4Q0NFnd1sX3qEDdxTLDobvjhhSgnzkg/edit?usp=sharing

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Eckel died at 89, so he's worth 36 Base Points. He was a Solo Shot for @101 for an extra 50 and a Deadly December bonus for another set of Base Points takes him up to a total of 112 points.

Ahem, 50+36+36=122. Luckily he's got the right score in the high score table!

5 hours ago, JustOneCornetto said:

UB40 for Bob Dole the former US Republican Senator at 98

Another one to strike off my 2022 long list, think that's about 5 now 😟

Bob Dole doesn’t need this!