The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2021

A pal of mine worked in a second hand camera store in South Edinburgh in the early 1990s. 

Neil Connery brought in a combined radio/camera. It seemed all very James Bond to us at the time. 

3 hours ago, thisal said:

106!! You should get points taken off for that.

If you let me contort a bit and treat him as potentially a waste of a pick due to the paltry points score, he wasn't quite.

The cutoff for that is currently about 112; if you're absolutely, positively, certain that someone is going to die this year, then it's worth picking them if they're below that age, otherwise you're as well rolling the dice with a younger pick, since they'll be expected to net you more points, on average. As it is, Lloyd's score of 19 outdoes the current extrapolated average of 13.6 points/year so he was actually better than picking some other random Dead Pool contestant. 'World's Oldest Person' picks are actually a waste of a pick for this reason, if you don't think you'll pick up a Solo Shot or Deadly Duo bonus.

Weirdly, 106 is actually the optimal point-scoring age for men, if you don't know anything about them apart from their age and gender, you should go with a team of 106-year-old men and/or 108-year-old women. It's still only an expected 9 points or so; Dead Pool players do, on average, outperform the actuarial tables.

Edited by Aim Here

5 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

If you let me contort a bit and treat him as potentially a waste of a pick due to the paltry points score, he wasn't quite.

The cutoff for that is currently about 112; if you're absolutely, positively, certain that someone is going to die this year, then it's worth picking them if they're below that age, otherwise you're as well rolling the dice with a younger pick, since they'll be expected to net you more points, on average. As it is, Lloyd's score of 19 outdoes the current extrapolated average of 13.6 points/year so he was actually better than picking some other random Dead Pool contestant. 'World's Oldest Person' picks are actually a waste of a pick for this reason, if you don't think you'll pick up a Solo Shot or Deadly Duo bonus.

Weirdly, 106 is actually the optimal point-scoring age for men, if you don't know anything about them apart from their age and gender, you should go with a team of 106-year-old men and/or 108-year-old women. It's still only an expected 9 points or so; Dead Pool players do, on average, outperform the actuarial tables.

Yeah he was low hanging fruit but I was certain I would bag 19 points although I was hoping for Deadly Duo bonus. I picked Run Run Shaw in 2014 and he died aged 106 too but bagged me 50 bounus points for a Solo hit so I won't be dismissing any male celeb over the age of 100

10 hours ago, Aim Here said:

^^ Billy Beane found

Half my bloody team is filled with wrestlers, and despite this guy being more mental than most, I never thought of putting him in my team. 

Jerome Young aka New Jack dead at 58. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/wwe/14964613/wwe-ecw-jerome-young-vince-mcmahon/

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

22 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Half my bloody team is filled with wrestlers, and despite this guy being more mental than most, I never thought of putting him in my team. 

Jerome Young aka New Jack dead at 58. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/wwe/14964613/wwe-ecw-jerome-young-vince-mcmahon/

Jack in the box.

Week 20 update

One death this week, the actor Norman Lloyd: Norman Lloyd obituary | Film | The Guardian

Sounds like an interesting life, but I barely recognise the things relevant for me to point out. I'll give you all a tip too - there was no way I was picking this up unless someone mentioned it in the thread. If you want to guarantee points for an obscure pick dying, be sure to say "points please!" when it happens. 

Lloyd was 106 when he died, so he's worth 19 Base Points for @Amandajoan, @JustOneCornetto, @psv_killie and @Raidernation.

As a result, the standings look like this:

1. Ned Nederlander 354
2. Savage Henry 344
3. Fuctifano 259
4. Bishop Briggs 241
5. choirbairn 240
6. Lofarl 193
7. Ludo*1 173
8. buddiepaul 172
9. doulikefish 163

10. Indale Winton, pub car king 152
12. ICTJohnboy 150
13. senorsoupe, stanton 149
15. psv_killie 147
16. The DA 146
17. Arch Stanton 141
18. JustOneCornetto 139
19. sparky88 135

20. lolls, Mark Connolly 120
22. HI HAT 116

23. Arbroatlegend36-0 113
24. peasy23, sleazy 112
26. chomp my root 108
27. Amandajoan 103
28. D.V.T. 102

29. dee_62 101
30. Willie adie 94
31. Bert Raccoon 93
32. amnarab 91
33. Lex, The Hologram 89

35. Cardinal Richelieu, jimbaxters 86
37. 101, Billy Jean King, nessies long lost ghost 84
40. weirdcal 83
41. cdisaaccie, lichtgilphead, The_Craig 81
44. Raidernation 77

45. gkneil 69
46. Sweaty Morph 68
47. CountyFan 67
48. LoonsYouthTeam 62

49. thistledo 58
50. El Guapo, theportman, TxRover 55
53. Busta Nut, cambozpar, djchapsticks, Duszek, Empty It, Salvo Montalbano, weejack 52
60. Bulbasaur, coprolite 51

62. BillyAnchor 39
63. Aim Here, Curmudgeon 32

65. Arabdownunder, Blootoon87, Bold Rover, Eednud, Enigma, gingette, GTG_03, Karpaty Lviv, Melanius Mullarkey, microdave, mozam76, paulathame, Perkin Flump, qos_75, Sergeant Wilson, Sherrif John Bunnell, Shotgun, Speckled Tangerine, The Master, The Naitch, thisal 26
87. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-OTo44wF_W7A4Q0NFnd1sX3qEDdxTLDobvjhhSgnzkg/edit?usp=sharing

On 13/05/2021 at 12:18, tamthebam said:

A pal of mine worked in a second hand camera store in South Edinburgh in the early 1990s. 

Neil Connery brought in a combined radio/camera. It seemed all very James Bond to us at the time. 

Drank in the Diggers. 

His brother's an international megastar and he's knocking back pints of heavy with old boys slagging off Walter Kidd!

Zardoz to Zico.😉

1 minute ago, Ned Nederlander said:

One of my picks has blown himself up.

But survived.

Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau seriously injured https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9599949/Nigerias-Boko-Haram-leader-badly-wounded-sources.html?ito=native_share_article-masthead

Is he the Sevco supporter with the flare?