The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2021

Week 7 update

Two deaths this week. Up first, Welsh goalkeeper Dai Davies: Dai Davies obituary: Former Wales goalkeeper dies aged 72 - BBC Sport

Former Wales goalkeeper Dai Davies has died at the age of 72.

He had been in a hospice after being diagnosed with cancer.

Davies was at one stage Wales' most-capped keeper, making 52 appearances for his country over a seven-year period.

His career spanned 17 years, starting at Swansea City, before moving on to Everton, Tranmere Rovers, Bangor City and Wrexham, where he ended his career in his second spell with the club.

"Dai was a great goalkeeper but also a wonderful human being with a beautiful soul," his wife Judy said in a family statement.

"Ever the gentleman Dai had time for everyone and was hugely respected and much loved by so many."

He was called Dai and was diagnosed with cancer last August. A Dead Pool dream. He died at 72 so he's worth 53 Base Points for @Bishop Briggs, @chomp my root and @Ned Nederlander. He was Vice-Captain for @sparky88 for 80 points.

========================

Up next this week was Sydney Devine: Singer Sydney Devine dies aged 81 - BBC News

Scottish singer and entertainer Sydney Devine has died in hospital, aged 81.

The star, whole sold more than 15 million albums during a career spanning seven decades, had been suffering from an undisclosed chest complaint.

Friends said he died at University Hospital in Ayr early on Saturday.

Devine, who was born in the Lanarkshire village of Cleland in 1940, was best known for his version of the song Tiny Bubbles. He received an MBE in 2003.

His close friend and Glasgow Pavilion Theatre boss Iain Gordon said: "I have worked with Sydney and the band since 1976 and I have never seen a bad performance, he was the ultimate showman and performer.

"Syd always took time for everyone, fans, staff and other performers."

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said for Scots of a certain vintage - including herself - the name Sydney Devine was synonymous with Scottish entertainment.

She tweeted: "So sad. A true legend. My condolences to his loved ones."

This is a forum about Scottish football, so I assume we've all listened to Off the Ball at some point and are aware of this guy's existence. Since I however am not 90 years old and unlike Tam Cowan, don't want to be, I don't think I've ever heard his singing. 

I don't know who can take credit for that photoshop. Devine died at 81, so he's worth 44 Base Points. He was a Solo Shot for @lolls for a total of 94 points.

As a result of that, the results now look like this:

1. Savage Henry 253
2. choirbairn 180
3. Ned Nederlander 175
4. Bishop Briggs 158

5. doulikefish, Fuctifano, Ludo*1 121
8. pub car king 113
9. stanton 112
10. dee_62 101
11. Indale Winton 97
12. psv_killie 96
13. Mark Connolly, lolls 94
15. amnarab 91
16. HI HAT 90
17. Lofarl 83
18. sparky88 80

19. gkneil 69
20. Lex 63
21. 101, Arbroathlegend36-0, Arch Stanton, Billy Jean King, buddiepaul, Cardinal Richelieu, jimbaxters, JustOneCornetto, nessies long lost ghost, peasy23, Raidernation, sleazy, thistledo 58
35. Amandajoan 56
36. chomp my root 53

37. The Hologram 50
38. Bert Raccoon 38
39. D.V.T. 34
40. Bulbasaur, coprolite 25
42. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-OTo44wF_W7A4Q0NFnd1sX3qEDdxTLDobvjhhSgnzkg/edit?usp=sharing

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

@Miguel Sanchez, we're you not tempted to listen? 

Second thoughts, I've heard it so you don't need to.

I did. The line about photoshop was changed from something else because I was worried about Tam finding it and starting a newspaper ven detta against me.

1 minute ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I did. The line about photoshop was changed from something else because I was worried about Tam finding it and starting a newspaper ven detta against me.

Cowan will probably have the next couple of weeks off and be asking Jason and the guys for an exception for steak and kidney's planting.