The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2021

11 minutes ago, Tony Ferrino said:

Are you including bigamists doing it for the cash?

I was married but had been separated for years, just hadn't got around to signing any papers. Anyway, my cohab has been pressuring me for ages to sort it out. She said she would be overjoyed  if I married her so, to make her happy, we did it.

I think that was big o' me.

Edited by Arch Stanton

20 hours ago, supermik said:

Surprised that he lived that long without an ex wife bumping him off. 1961 was a particularly busy year for him.

Freda Miller
(m. 1952; ann. 1953)

Annette Kaye
(m. 1961; div. 1961)

Alene Akins
(m. 1961; div. 1963)

m. 1967; div. 1972)

Mickey Sutphin
(m. 1963; div. 1967)

Sharon Lepore
(m. 1976; div. 1983)

Julie Alexander
(m. 1989; div. 1992)

Shawn Southwick
(m. 1997; sep. 2019)

At least he finally settled down, but couldn't resist one last split.

Week 4 update

Two deaths this week. Up first is talented but flawed music producer, Phil Spector: Phil Spector obituary | Phil Spector | The Guardian

By the time he reached his mid-20s, Phil Spector, who has died aged 81, had achieved his ambition of making records that elevated the craft of producing pop singles to something close to an art, the prodigious commercial success of his miniature epics leading Tom Wolfe to describe him, in a celebrated 1964 essay, as “the first tycoon of teen”.

Even as those words appeared, however, the first signs of Spector’s decline were beginning to appear, and the remainder of his life represented an accelerating sequence of bizarre behavioural episodes ending with the death by gunshot at his Los Angeles mansion in 2003 of Lana Clarkson, an actor whom he had met that night in a Hollywood bar where she worked as a waitress. Six years and two highly publicised trials later, a jury’s unanimous verdict finally pronounced him guilty of murder.

To pop fans who grew up in the 1960s, his name will always be synonymous with recordings that embodied both the music’s early innocence and its increasing sense of adventure. Many of them, such as the Crystals’ He’s a Rebel, Da Doo Ron Ron and Then He Kissed Me, and the Ronettes’ Be My Baby and Baby I Love You, set the appealing voices of New York girl groups against a grandiose background that became known as the “wall of sound”, created through lavish use of instrumental resources.

I also enjoyed this passage from later in the article:

After a 15-year absence from the studio, the acrimonious truncation of an album project with Céline Dion in 1996 elicited a statement from Spector that could stand as his professional epitaph: “It became apparent that the people around Ms Dion were more interested in controlling the project, and the people who recorded her, than in making history. One thing they should have learnt long ago. You don’t tell Shakespeare what plays to write, or how to write them. You don’t tell Mozart what operas to write, or how to write them. And you certainly don’t tell Phil Spector what songs to write, or how to write them; or what records to produce and how to produce them.”

Oh and he killed someone too. Spector died at 81 so he's worth 44 Base Points. He was a Deadly Duo pick for @gkneil and @Mark Connolly, so it's 69 points total for both of them.

=========================

Up next this week was American television man Larry King: Larry King, talk-show titan who lit up worlds of politics and showbiz | Larry King | The Guardian

In a career arc matched by few of his famous guests – except, perhaps, Donald Trump and Joe Biden – King’s major achievements came in the later part of his life. Born in 1933, he was until late middle-age a minor regional broadcaster in Florida. Born Lawrence Ziegler in Brooklyn, he was persuaded, as a young radio announcer in Miami, to change a surname considered by the racist judgment of media at the time too Jewish for mainstream ears. The broadcaster claimed he picked his new identity on whim, from a Miami Herald open in the studio to an ad for King’s Liquor Store, though as a man of marked self-esteem, he may have enjoyed the regal ring of his nom-de-mic.

His new name was not really made until, when he was 52, he started Larry King Live. His first guest was Mario Cuomo, governor of New York and a perpetual potential presidential candidate, who set the tone for a serious political talk-show.

At the time, cable TV was seen as a dribbling tributary of the mainstream media, CNN initially ridiculed as “Chicken Noodle News”. But the network’s visibility through the Gulf War of 1990, the first conflict fought live on TV, brought King attention and audiences maximised by CNN International being the English-language TV option in most hotels around the world.

The thought of being as influential and successful as he was after starting his television career at 52 is quite something. Maybe it's a product of watching a lot of American film and television but I agree with the general sentiment of that article - that he was an interviewer with gravitas and distinction, and that appearing on his show was something to be taken Seriously. 

Despite this the only thing I really know him for is his two Simpsons appearances. He read the Bible in one of them:

King died at 87, so he's worth 38 Base Points for @Bert Raccoon, @doulikefish, @Fuctifano, @Lex and @psv_killie, with a Vice-Captain bonus bumping @amnarab up to 57 points.

As a result, the standings look like this:

1. choirbairn 180
2. Ned Nederlander 122

3. Bishop Briggs 105
4. dee_62 101
5. Savage Henry 82
6. gkneil, Mark Connolly 69
8. amnarab 57
9. Bert Raccoon, doulkefish, Fuctifano, Lex, psv_killie 38

14. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-OTo44wF_W7A4Q0NFnd1sX3qEDdxTLDobvjhhSgnzkg/edit?usp=sharing

2 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

According to Wikipedia his old man was in an Estonian police squad during WWII and, wanted as a war criminal, escaped to Iceland.

Aye, but he was good to his family, took the boy to the football and that.