The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2021

Week 3 update

An interesting week this week as we technically have two deaths. Up first was former cricket man Donald Smith: Don Smith: England's oldest living male Test cricketer dies aged 97 - BBC Sport

England's oldest living male Test cricketer Don Smith has died aged 97, his former county Sussex have confirmed.

Smith played three Tests against the West Indies in 1957 and had a spell as Sri Lanka coach in 1984 before retiring to Australia with his wife Lyn.

He passed away peacefully at his home in Adelaide on Sunday.

A left-handed opening batsman and medium pace bowler, he scored just under 17,000 runs and took 340 wickets in a 16-year first-class career.

Smith was also the second oldest living Test player from any country, with South African all-rounder John Watkins two months older.

After retiring from playing in 1962, he was also a cricket coach and groundsman at Lancing College in West Sussex for more than 20 years and played county league football before becoming a qualified referee.

Smith died at 97 so he's worth 28 Base Points. He was a Solo Shot for @stanton so the bonus gets him 78 points total.

===============================

Up next this week was former woman Julie Strain. There follows no link because there's no qualifying obituary for her. There's barely an obituary at all, the news seems to have been broken solely on blogging-type sites. She was Penthouse Pet of the Year in 1993: Julie Strain - Wikipedia

She was a pick for @Arbroathlegend36-0 and @chomp my root. She's worth 67 Base Points, 25 extra for a Deadly Duo bonus and she's chompers' Vice-Captain for an extra 34 - except she's not getting anyone any points, currently. I'll keep checking (and I'm sure chomp my root will) but things aren't looking hopeful. This is a risk you take with obscure picks. Let this be a lesson for future entries.

As a result, the standings look like this:

1. choirbairn 180
2. Ned Nederlander 122

3. Bishop Briggs 105
4. dee_62 101
5. Savage Henry 82
6. stanton 78

7. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-OTo44wF_W7A4Q0NFnd1sX3qEDdxTLDobvjhhSgnzkg/edit?usp=sharing

Week 3 update

An interesting week this week as we technically have two deaths. Up first was former cricket man Donald Smith: Don Smith: England's oldest living male Test cricketer dies aged 97 - BBC Sport
England's oldest living male Test cricketer Don Smith has died aged 97, his former county Sussex have confirmed.
Smith played three Tests against the West Indies in 1957 and had a spell as Sri Lanka coach in 1984 before retiring to Australia with his wife Lyn.
He passed away peacefully at his home in Adelaide on Sunday.
A left-handed opening batsman and medium pace bowler, he scored just under 17,000 runs and took 340 wickets in a 16-year first-class career.
Smith was also the second oldest living Test player from any country, with South African all-rounder John Watkins two months older.
After retiring from playing in 1962, he was also a cricket coach and groundsman at Lancing College in West Sussex for more than 20 years and played county league football before becoming a qualified referee.
Smith died at 97 so he's worth 28 Base Points. He was a Solo Shot for [mention=27791]stanton[/mention] so the bonus gets him 78 points total.

===============================

Up next this week was former woman Julie Strain. There follows no link because there's no qualifying obituary for her. There's barely an obituary at all, the news seems to have been broken solely on blogging-type sites. She was Penthouse Pet of the Year in 1993: Julie Strain - Wikipedia
She was a pick for [mention=20189]Arbroathlegend36-0[/mention] and [mention=36624]chomp my root[/mention]. She's worth 67 Base Points, 25 extra for a Deadly Duo bonus and she's chompers' Vice-Captain for an extra 34 - except she's not getting anyone any points, currently. I'll keep checking (and I'm sure chomp my root will) but things aren't looking hopeful. This is a risk you take with obscure picks. Let this be a lesson for future entries.
As a result, the standings look like this:

1. choirbairn 180
2. Ned Nederlander 122
3. Bishop Briggs 105
4. dee_62 101
5. Savage Henry 82
6. stanton 78
7. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-OTo44wF_W7A4Q0NFnd1sX3qEDdxTLDobvjhhSgnzkg/edit?usp=sharing

Former woman?

1 minute ago, Forest_Fifer said:

Dunno what happened there, I just quoted your post and put a comment on the end and the format got screwed up.

My point stands though, what was she when she died if she was a former woman?

Calling her an actress seemed a bit of a stretch