The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2021

On 07/01/2021 at 22:36, tamthebam said:

Marion Ramsay from the Police Academy films at 73.

9 hours ago, AL-FFC said:

Marion Ramsey from Police Academy fame as officer hooks has been hooked:

https://news.sky.com/story/marion-ramsey-police-academy-actress-dies-aged-73-12182462

Is she doing a Tanya Roberts on us?

On 03/01/2021 at 18:28, Ned Nederlander said:

Of course, 180 points - cracking pick that.

I knew she was ill but heard Matt Chapman on Sky Sports Racing between Christmas and New Year saying she did not have long left at all. After listening to him, I was surprised that (a) she made it to New Year and (b) that nobody else had her

15 minutes ago, choirbairn said:

I knew she was ill but heard Matt Chapman on Sky Sports Racing between Christmas and New Year saying she did not have long left at all. After listening to him, I was surprised that (a) she made it to New Year and (b) that nobody else had her

Can't imagine that many people watch Sky Sports Racing tbf!

28 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Can't imagine that many people watch Sky Sports Racing tbf!

I dunno. Somebody else pointed out that her stable had two winners the day she died. I didn't know that either. Then again, you're probably right - probably only degenerate gamblers, especially when Chapman is on ... 

2 hours ago, choirbairn said:

She maybe wasn't up for that kind of malarkey towards the end. 🙄

Week 2 update

Ah, for the halcyon days of mid-2019 where we went about a month and a half with nothing before Billy McNeill died.

Up first this week, horse training woman Zoe Davison: Zoe Davison: Racing trainer dies on same day two of her horses win at Plumpton - BBC Sport

Davison sent out the first of over 100 winners when Sails Legend, with AP McCoy in the saddle, won at Towcester in November 1997.

She enjoyed her best season with 15 winners in the 2017-18 campaign.

Jockey Page Fuller has a long association with the stable and should have ridden Mr Jack but had been stood down from an earlier fall.

She said: "You couldn't have written it any better today. She was just a kind and genuine person who was a real horsewoman. She loved her horses and did her best by them.

"She has been struggling for a long time, but fortunately her strength has rubbed off on everybody else and they showed that by sending out the winners today.

"It has been a great team effort and it is great she has gone out like that. I don't know anybody who would have a bad word to say about her - she was just one of those really nice people."

Davison was 60 when she died, so she's worth 65 Base Points. She was a Solo Shot and Captain for @choirbairn adding another 50 and 65 for a total of 180 points. A shame she was into horses and not darts.

==================

Up next this week was former Manchester City midfielder Colin Bell: Colin Bell: Manchester City great dies aged 74 - BBC Sport

After starting his career at Bury, Bell moved to Manchester City - then in the second tier - midway through the 1965-66 season in a £47,500 deal.

He helped Joe Mercer's team win promotion that season and was instrumental in the Blues winning the First Division title two years later.

During his 13 years as a player at Maine Road, he also won the FA Cup, League Cup and Cup Winners' Cup.

As I've said before, it's an interesting clash when old footballers die. The present day Man City are incomparable to even most clubs in their league and around the world today. Yet, despite however much money they spend, whatever they win, whatever their players achieve, there's a tacit acceptance that someone from fifty years ago who cost forty five grand and had a terrible haircut was just better. As someone with little interest in English football the idea of a Man City who were an average club (along with most of the others, I suppose) is something I can't really imagine anymore, even if I just faintly remember it. Despite this, I look at biographies of Bell and the things his team achieved in the 70s, and I just accept that their achievements were greater than anything that club could manage nowadays. 

Don't believe me? Here's the 1970/71 Man City team.

2160.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=95df14745a63c2c1d5fd9e5061054796

Tell me that's not better than football today. More pictures available here: Colin Bell – a life in pictures | Football | The Guardian

More tributes are available on the Man City website: Long live The King (mancity.com)

Bell died when he was 74, so he's worth 51 points. He was a Solo Shot for @dee_62, so he's worth 101 points total. 

==================

Finally this week we had American baseball man Tommy Lasorda: Tommy Lasorda, fiery Hall of Fame Dodgers manager, dies at 93 | Daily Mail Online

The Daily Mail's website is literal dog shite, so I will instead be quoting from this article: Tommy Lasorda dies: Dodgers legend and Hall of Fame manager dead at age 93 after suffering a heart attack - CBSSports.com

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred issued the following statement:

"Tommy Lasorda was one of the finest managers our game has ever known. He loved life as a Dodger. His career began as a pitcher in 1949 but he is, of course, best known as the manager of two World Series champions and four pennant-winning clubs. His passion, success, charisma and sense of humor turned him into an international celebrity, a stature that he used to grow our sport. Tommy welcomed Dodger players from Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Japan, South Korea and elsewhere -- making baseball a stronger, more diverse and better game. He served Major League Baseball as the Global Ambassador for the first two editions of the World Baseball Classic and managed Team USA to gold in the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney. Tommy loved family, the United States, the National Pastime and the Dodgers, and he made them all proud during a memorable baseball life.

"I am extremely fortunate to have developed a wonderful friendship with Tommy and will miss him. It feels appropriate that in his final months, he saw his beloved Dodgers win the World Series for the first time since his 1988 team. On behalf of Major League Baseball, I send my deepest sympathy to his wife of 70 years, Jo, and their entire family, the Dodger organization and their generations of loyal fans."

Lasorda had managed the Dodgers for a two-decade span, running from 1976 through 1996. Under his watch, the Dodgers won two World Series (1981 and 1988), four National League pennants, and eight division titles. Lasorda himself won a pair of Manager of the Year Awards and managed in four All-Star Games. His 1,599 wins as a manager rank 22nd all-time in Major League Baseball history (albeit second in Dodgers history), and he was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1997. The Dodgers subsequently retired his No. 2 jersey. Lasorda also won a gold medal as manager of the 2000 United States team at the Summer Olympics in Sydney, Australia.

After retiring from managing, Lasorda served in a variety of front-office roles with the Dodgers, including as a special adviser during the 2020 season. This upcoming year would've marked his 72nd season with the Dodgers franchise, dating back to their days in Brooklyn. Over that time, Lasorda managed, coached, scouted, and pitched.

Regardless of my opinions of baseball, 72 years as a one club man is quite the achievement. 

Lasorda died at 93, so he's worth 32 Base Points. He was a Solo Shot for @Savage Henry, so he's worth 82 points total.

As a result, the standings now look like this:

1. choirbairn 180
2. Ned Nederlander 122

3. Bishop Briggs 105
4. dee_62 101
5. Savage Henry 82

6. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-OTo44wF_W7A4Q0NFnd1sX3qEDdxTLDobvjhhSgnzkg/edit?usp=sharing

2 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Penthouse Pet, Julie Strain, 58 has gone tits up - https://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news/rip-julie-strain-b-movie-legend-and-penthouse-pet-has-died-at-58.

If she gets a qualifying obit,  she'll be a deadly duo hit for @Arbroathlegend36-0 and @chomp my root.

Julie Wrist-Strain back in the day 

Apparently not deid though.