Montrose vs Dumbarton

Another weekend where a solid defence, workmanlike and decent ball-playing midfield and a striker in red-hot form, gets Montrose the three points.
Dumbarton didn't really threaten, as an early poster said, Fleming had a relatively easy day between the sticks.
Move on to Peterhead on Tuesday.
Onwards and upwards.

1 hour ago, super-son said:

It's not so much about the defense. I'm actually fairly happy with the defensive side of the team. It's the midfield that will win you games and it is non existent. Wedderburn has been the only player to impress me so far in our midfield and there has been a couple of flashes from Frizzell but he is just surrounded by passengers.

Forbes has been shite for weeks and is offering nothing except for the assist last week. You might call that assist a fluke if you were comparing that to the rest of his attempts.

Church is tries but is useless. No end product and has done absolutely nothing to deserve another start.

Hamilton I have barely even noticed in most games and I actually forget he is playing most of the time.

And none of the subs for midfield are any different.

I know the budget was tighter than ever this year but Duffy has to take some responsibility and admit he was lazy and signed a bunch of nothing. A bunch of nothing playing out of position for the most part no less.

I completely agree with all of your points - but the main point I was making in my original post was that we were reasonably comfortable defensively in other games.

Couldn't agree more with the lack of anything elsewhere in the team. I was one of the first people criticising Forbes contributions and I stand by it. I was in the minority when I said I wasn't all that convinced by Hamilton after his first few games and on countless occasions I have called out our complete lack of any quality as we move into the final third.

There were actually a few times in the first half where we stepped forward from midfield into areas where a competent side would look to cause problems, yet we never looked like even beginning to cut open Montrose at the back. Church in particular, in the first half, put 3 or 4 balls into the box which were all simply not good enough. But again, from a raw, young and relatively untested LB, what do we really expect?

Edited by squeezeboxson

Ammo the Airdrie fan mentioned in the match thread a few teams last week about Montrose having the best manager in the league, I think we can safely say that we actually have the best manager in the world
I wouldn't disagree about him being the best manager in the league but he's no Stevie Clarke!

4 goals for.  None against.  3 points.  5 subs getting at least 15 mins of playing time.  Happy and productive day indeed.

Taking both centre halves off with 15mins to go was unusual but a sign of how comfortable we were. Not sure how SP is going to keep everyone happy once they’re all fit. Imagine Dillo will drop out and we go to 3 at the back?

1 hour ago, notsofedupendie said:

Taking both centre halves off with 15mins to go was unusual but a sign of how comfortable we were. Not sure how SP is going to keep everyone happy once they’re all fit. Imagine Dillo will drop out and we go to 3 at the back?

I actually hope our players and management took note of that, I certainly did. To have a fellow part-time team, who we should realisticly be competing with, start treating a league fixture like a pre season friendly because they are that comfortable should be mortifying for them. I was half expecting the sub keeper to get a run out at one point. 

I can’t help but be full of admiration for how Montrose are going about their business right now, you made us look like a Sunday League rabble today. We were bad but Montrose deserve credit for swording us without getting out of first gear. 

I actually hope our players and management took note of that, I certainly did. To have a fellow part-time team, who we should realisticly be competing with, start treating a league fixture like a pre season friendly because they are that comfortable should be mortifying for them. I was half expecting the sub keeper to get a run out at one point. 
I can’t help but be full of admiration for how Montrose are going about their business right now, you made us look like a Sunday League rabble today. We were bad but Montrose deserve credit for swording us without getting out of first gear. 

That’s a very honest appraisal of what happened today. I’ve supported the Mo for over 50 years and other than the Alex Stuart years it’s been pretty shit .. this team is getting close to being that good.

17 hours ago, Aidan said:

Ammo the Airdrie fan mentioned in the match thread a few times last week about Montrose having the best manager in the league, I think we can safely say that we actually have the best manager in the world

4r2igh.jpg

Edited by Brummo
Trying to be clever and/or funny and failing.

I'll start by saying something that might sound crazy. But I actually think we've played worse than that this season. The difference yesterday to a few other games is that we came up against an absolutely outstanding Montrose team. I couldn't be more jealous of what they have; they're quick, tenacious, hardworking and play some excellent football. I genuinely don't think they had a single player below a 7/10 - and a good number (namely the two Cammy Ballantynes and big Russell McLean) were absolutely excellent. We just could not deal with them.

Every season I dread our games with Montrose because they almost always outplay us. But this year they look even better than they have done in previous seasons. There's no reason at all that they can't put up a serious promotion fight this year, because they're a better team than Cove, Thistle and Airdrie.

My first line is not saying that our performance was acceptable in any way though, it simply goes to highlight the fact that by and large we haven't been very good this season.

I was staggered by the decision to drop Jaime Wilson after last week. He might've missed a few chances, but he was a constant threat, worked defenders and his movement drags teams out of shape. To his credit I actually thought Denny Johnstone played as well as I've seen him play, his link-up play was really decent and he actually provided a bit of threat for the first time...But his style of play still doesn't pose as much of a threat with the players we have as Wilson.

I was equally as staggered to see the formation change. Forbes as a sort of #10/second striker, Frizzell out wide (where he was predictably dominated in the air by Andrew Steeves) and continuing with our two left-backs policy. Church got into some fantastic positions, but this his final ball was that of a defender. I can't help but wonder what a natural winger could've done with the openings we have.

The whole midfield was a mess and something quite clearly isn't working. Forbes' dead ball deliveries by and large this season have been brutal, and yesterday they were especially poor. If we aren't going to threaten much from open play then we need to be prepared to take him off free-kicks when every single one is overhit. Combine that with the fact that he really doesn't look like he's enjoying himself and has only scored once since returning and I'm struggling to explain why he's in the team.

Hamilton looked excellent early in the season, but being shunting about every position going has made him regress imo. Duffy needs to decide where he sees him playing with us and then give him a run of games there. He's still very young and it'll take him time - but having him as a centre-half, winger, attacking midfielder and defensive midfielder really isn't helping anyone.

Church is a left-back playing on the wing. And looks like a left-back playing on the wing. That might be understandable away at Firhill (although given what Peterhead did, that now makes us look a bit silly). But it's not for most other games.

Defensively we were a catastrophe and totally lost the place in the first-half. What Russell McLean did to Morgyn Neill reminded me of what Lyndon Dykes always did to Christopher Julien. With Morgyn all over the shop and Carsy's head exploding Montrose had a field day. If it wasn't for another outstanding Kev save then they would've been deservedly 4-0 up at half-time too.

This is now a massive period for us. We have a good run of home games on a grass pitch that suits us. We need to make it count and, imo, Duffy needs to rip up his teamsheet and go for a totally fresh approach against East Fife on Boxing Day.

The stats make for grim reading:

- We've conceded the first goal eight times this season. And lost all eight games
- We've scored five times in nine league games
- One of those five was an own goal

Merry Christmas everyone...

11 hours ago, notsofedupendie said:

That’s a very honest appraisal of what happened today. I’ve supported the Mo for over 50 years and other than the Alex Stuart years it’s been pretty shit .. this team is getting close to being that good.

Think Ian Stewart did not too bad with his side and no money! Quite disrespectful forgetting that little memorable spell if you have been watching for 50 years. His successors made a right mess of what he built with lots of funding from Mr Keith!!! This is an amazing spell and Petrie is taking the team to new levels each season. Hopefully match Alex Stuarts spell in the 70s. Funny the name Stuart/Stewart has been a very lucky omen for Montrose?

I'll start by saying something that might sound crazy. But I actually think we've played worse than that this season. The difference yesterday to a few other games is that we came up against an absolutely outstanding Montrose team. I couldn't be more jealous of what they have; they're quick, tenacious, hardworking and play some excellent football. I genuinely don't think they had a single player below a 7/10 - and a good number (namely the two Cammy Ballantynes and big Russell McLean) were absolutely excellent. We just could not deal with them.
Every season I dread our games with Montrose because they almost always outplay us. But this year they look even better than they have done in previous seasons. There's no reason at all that they can't put up a serious promotion fight this year, because they're a better team than Cove, Thistle and Airdrie.
My first line is not saying that our performance was acceptable in any way though, it simply goes to highlight the fact that by and large we haven't been very good this season.
I was staggered by the decision to drop Jaime Wilson after last week. He might've missed a few chances, but he was a constant threat, worked defenders and his movement drags teams out of shape. To his credit I actually thought Denny Johnstone played as well as I've seen him play, his link-up play was really decent and he actually provided a bit of threat for the first time...But his style of play still doesn't pose as much of a threat with the players we have as Wilson.
I was equally as staggered to see the formation change. Forbes as a sort of #10/second striker, Frizzell out wide (where he was predictably dominated in the air by Andrew Steeves) and continuing with our two left-backs policy. Church got into some fantastic positions, but this his final ball was that of a defender. I can't help but wonder what a natural winger could've done with the openings we have.
The whole midfield was a mess and something quite clearly isn't working. Forbes' dead ball deliveries by and large this season have been brutal, and yesterday they were especially poor. If we aren't going to threaten much from open play then we need to be prepared to take him off free-kicks when every single one is overhit. Combine that with the fact that he really doesn't look like he's enjoying himself and has only scored once since returning and I'm struggling to explain why he's in the team.
Hamilton looked excellent early in the season, but being shunting about every position going has made him regress imo. Duffy needs to decide where he sees him playing with us and then give him a run of games there. He's still very young and it'll take him time - but having him as a centre-half, winger, attacking midfielder and defensive midfielder really isn't helping anyone.
Church is a left-back playing on the wing. And looks like a left-back playing on the wing. That might be understandable away at Firhill (although given what Peterhead did, that now makes us look a bit silly). But it's not for most other games.
Defensively we were a catastrophe and totally lost the place in the first-half. What Russell McLean did to Morgyn Neill reminded me of what Lyndon Dykes always did to Christopher Julien. With Morgyn all over the shop and Carsy's head exploding Montrose had a field day. If it wasn't for another outstanding Kev save then they would've been deservedly 4-0 up at half-time too.
This is now a massive period for us. We have a good run of home games on a grass pitch that suits us. We need to make it count and, imo, Duffy needs to rip up his teamsheet and go for a totally fresh approach against East Fife on Boxing Day.
The stats make for grim reading:
- We've conceded the first goal eight times this season. And lost all eight games
- We've scored five times in nine league games
- One of those five was an own goal
Merry Christmas everyone...
I wouldn't argue with a word of that but I would add that I've felt for weeks that we could easily slide into Alan Adamson territory where despite everyone's best efforts it just isn't working and the results reflect that. And if we do reach that point then everything should be up for discussion.
Yesterday's result was a bummer but there is much less shame in being stuffed by a very decent Montrose side than a Peterhead side struggling to get a team on the park. On the flip side of that though we've hardly looked convincing in any game this season and I'm not sure that home games are a markedly better bet given that Clyde, Falkirk and Cove have all had us under the cosh for lengthy spells.
A lot will depend on what players are available. Ryan McGeever is a loss and his return would allow Carsy to return to midfield. PJ disappeared from view again yesterday and that's a concern. Position-wise I'd swap Church and Rico, and Wilson wouldn't be out of my starting eleven. And finally, there should be a club ban on anyone firing aerial balls at Frizzell.

5 hours ago, PortyMo said:

Every time a managerial post becomes available i fear that we'll lose SP. He's done an amazing job at Links Park and deserves a crack at a big full time club. Quite glad that the call has never come though. 

Start shiteing yourself cos Kettlewell's been given the bum's rush at County.SP would make a good replacement...kind of appointment McGregor would make.