The Relegation Dogfight

The Relegation Dogfight  

320 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You're probably right, but it's suddenly bloody easy to say, isn't it?

Haha. Yes it is. 

I was thinking about it the other day though. I don’t think Ayr, Arbroath or Morton are stick ons to go down if the finish in 9th.

All four or five on the contenders seem fairly inconsistent since League 1 has started back up. If Arbroath finished 9th I certainly think they would win the play off.

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

I didn't think Ayr were as poor today as we'd been led to believe.  The problem seems to be where the goals are going to come from - they had the chances to put us away today.  The plus side is that its a meaningless fixture for ICT (bar the points cash as one of the Raith guys has already mentioned somewhere).

That is probably by a distance our best performance for a while, and we were hardly outstanding. We generally don’t have chances in games, and usually concede. 

Moffat made a difference, as having actual competent football players will. Lacking a goal scorer badly.

Edited by No_Problemo

I'd say we're fucked.

Ayr are far more likely to shitfest a 0-0 draw at Inverness than we are at Arbroath. In any case, Ayr know that would be enough - we need to win, just in case they get their point. And we don't do wins.

I have zero confidence in our ability to outscore any of the teams in League 1.

1 hour ago, AyrshireTon said:

I'd say we're fucked.

Ayr are far more likely to shitfest a 0-0 draw at Inverness than we are at Arbroath. In any case, Ayr know that would be enough - we need to win, just in case they get their point. And we don't do wins.

I have zero confidence in our ability to outscore any of the teams in League 1.

2 wins out of 18, I'm amazed we still have a chance of survival to be honest.

22 goals in 26 games. The only clubs with a poorer goals to game ratio than us since the 10 team second tier was introduced in 1994 are:

Dumbarton & Brechin 17/18

Alloa 15/16

Ayr 09/10

Airdrie 08/09

Brechin 05/06

Raith 04/05

Airdrie 99/00

Stranraer 98/99

East Fife 96/97

Dumbarton 95/96

Stranraer 94/95

You'll notice the common factor that all these teams finished in the bottom two, usually bottom, and when it was second bottom in the playoff era they always lost. The only times relegation has been avoided with so few goals was both Airdrie instances, as 9th stayed up in 99/00 due to the SPL increasing to 12 teams and they were reprieved after losing the playoff final in 2009 due to Livingston being demoted, so twice due to off field issues rather than being good enough on the pitch.

It would be unprecedented to stay up while scoring so few goals. If Arbroath score on Friday we're gone, and we've got little reason to be confident of a clean sheet either.

I know fans of the clubs involved will say otherwise but I'd expect the championship club to win the play offs. The league one clubs - by their own choice - will have played about a million games since the middle of March. 

We've seen it last couple of weeks where Clyde and Dumbarton noticeably wilted in the last 20 minutes and we were the same yesterday.

Even just starting from now the league one clubs have another 3 games to play before the playoffs start (4 if Montrose make it to 4th) and the championship club has one more game then another week off. Would be surprised if that doesn't play a large part. 

Edited by Fuctifano

I know fans of the clubs involved will say otherwise but I'd expect the championship club to win the play offs. The league one clubs - by their own choice - will have played about a million games since the middle of March. 
We've seen it last couple of weeks where Clyde and Dumbarton noticeably wilted in the last 20 minutes and we were the same yesterday.
Even just starting from now the league one clubs have another 3 games to play before the playoffs start (4 if Montrose make it to 4th) and the championship club has one more game then another week off. Would be surprised if that doesn't play a large part. 
The only side with a chance of staying up from 9th would be Arbroath. If Morton or Ayr finish 9th I'll be more surprised if they stay up than go down.

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

We played East Fife for their 4th game in a week and they were the better team with us needing a last minute penalty to force extra time.They never even made the top 5..

We played East Fife for their 4th game in a week and they were the better team with us needing a last minute penalty to force extra time.They never even made the top 5..

And we got horsed out the cup by Clyde in the same circumstances and they’re trying to avoid their relegation playoff!

Fair play to BBC Scotland picking an absolute dead rubber of a match in Hearts v Raith for TV when you have Arbroath and Morton playing at the same time.

32 minutes ago, RiG said:

Fair play to BBC Scotland picking an absolute dead rubber of a match in Hearts v Raith for TV when you have Arbroath and Morton playing at the same time.

They can only show 2 live games for a club at home per season apparently. We’ve been on twice already this season when hosting Hearts and Dundee. It’s a stupid rule 

21 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

They can only show 2 live games for a club at home per season apparently. We’ve been on twice already this season when hosting Hearts and Dundee. It’s a stupid rule 

It was specifically a term of the TV deal for this season in order to protect teams' PPV revenue. it isn't a stupid rule at all.

I suppose in this season more than any other that rule ensures no club has missed out on revenue more than others with no one buying a stream when the game's televised, but having all the games on Friday night so the last day of the season can be televised then showing a dead rubber is some laugh.

Does anyone have a list of all the games that have been shown?

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

I suppose in this season more than any other that rule ensures no club has missed out on revenue more than others with no one buying a stream when the game's televised, but having all the games on Friday night so the last day of the season can be televised then showing a dead rubber is some laugh.

Does anyone have a list of all the games that have been shown?

I think this is it for each club. Compiled by looking back through BBC website, so might have made mistakes.
Alloa - Dundee x2
Arbroath - Hearts, Dundee
Ayr - Raith, Hearts
Dundee - Hearts, Dunfermline
Dunfermline - Hearts, Dundee
Hearts - Dundee, Alloa
ICT - Raith, Hearts
Morton - Dunfermline, Hearts
QoS - ICT, Hearts
Raith - Dunfermline, Hearts

Edited by Flash