The Relegation Dogfight

The Relegation Dogfight  

320 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Objectively speaking:

Morton 50%

Ayr 35%

Arbroath 15%.

Realistically:

Morton 80%

Ayr 20%

depending on whether another insipid draw would be enough to drag us over the line by default. If it is, then I expect Arbroath to go on and win by a couple of goals  regardless. 

Whichever team finishes 9th should be expelled from the play-offs and just relegated automatically instead of wasting everybody's time with an extra two fixtures. 

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

Whichever team finishes 9th should be expelled from the play-offs and just relegated automatically instead of wasting everybody's time with an extra two fixtures. 

IDK, facing a limited Cove side or a truly wretched Falkirk side, the nionth place team should be able to win.

In the same way Alloa had nothing to play for but still put in a shift today. ICT will do likewise next week. 

I can see ICT winning against Ayr, but alarmingly I can't see Morton winning or even drawing against Arbroath

Just now, TxRover said:

IDK, facing a limited Cove side or a truly wretched Falkirk side, the nionth place team should be able to win.

If we play Falkirk, the amount of credit we’ve had at the Karma bank over recent years will collapse into a Supermassive Black Hole, taking the club and, potentially, the whole of Greenock with it...

12 minutes ago, virginton said:

...Whichever team finishes 9th should be expelled from the play-offs and just relegated automatically instead of wasting everybody's time with an extra two fixtures. 

I know that when you finish in the relegation play-offs, you automatically think you are doomed. However, I don’t think that is necessarily the case.

When we were in them a couple of seasons ago we couldn’t buy a win for about 5 months. However, when the play offs came around we navigated them without too much difficulty.

I’m not sure any of the teams currently occupying the play of slots in League 1, should be giving the 9th place team the fear. 

1 hour ago, qos_75 said:

I know that when you finish in the relegation play-offs, you automatically think you are doomed. However, I don’t think that is necessarily the case.

When we were in them a couple of seasons ago we couldn’t buy a win for about 5 months. However, when the play offs came around we navigated them without too much difficulty.

I’m not sure any of the teams currently occupying the play of slots in League 1, should be giving the 9th place team the fear. 

It's certainly true that we're not in complete free fall - Ayr on the other hand would be in a worse predicament that way. 

I'm just not convinced that trying to shitfest draw every single game would prove a successful strategy, and even less interested in watching it play out. Just forfeit and use the extra weeks to ruthlessly purge the club from top to bottom for a proper campaign next season. 

Edited by vikingTON

13 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

and indeed lost the first play off match at Montrose. We were pretty comfortable thereafter. 

the playoffs are certainly a lottery and I remember Cowdenbeath staying up after deservedly thrashing Roberts's pish 5-1 and then beating Dunfermline. But if Ayr finish 9th then they're losing the semi. And tbh I'd expect that of Morten and Arbroath too given the teams coming up.

Given the way Arbroath absolutely steamrollered us last week and kept fighting until the end against Dunfermline would suggest they’d be able to get at least a point and most likely a win against Morton.

It all depends on A. How we approach next Friday and B. What kind of attitude ICT players take to the game.

They’ve got absolutely nothing to play for. They’re aren’t getting any higher than fifth and they aren’t getting any lower either. It almost seems to good to be true to simply expect ICT to lie down to us but the two teams simply doing f**k all for 90 minutes isn’t that unrealistic. If that happens then we’re safe and it’s all down to what happens in the other game.

I should point out that although we were able to keep a clean sheet today against Queen of the South they only really have Connor Shields as a threat going forward.

Should ICT play a full strength team and actually try and win then we won’t be able to keep all of Todorov, Mackay and Allan quiet. They will score a couple.

22 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Given the way Arbroath absolutely steamrollered us last week and kept fighting until the end against Dunfermline would suggest they’d be able to get at least a point and most likely a win against Morton.

It all depends on A. How we approach next Friday and B. What kind of attitude ICT players take to the game.

They’ve got absolutely nothing to play for. They’re aren’t getting any higher than fifth and they aren’t getting any lower either. It almost seems to good to be true to simply expect ICT to lie down to us but the two teams simply doing f**k all for 90 minutes isn’t that unrealistic. If that happens then we’re safe and it’s all down to what happens in the other game.

No one cares! Ayr are going down!

The quality of the League 1 sides appears to be better than previous years. If we finish 9th, I don't think we will get by the semi, especially if our manager continues to make ludicrous team selections.

Alloa didn't really give a feck today and had one shot on target, yet we still couldn't beat them.Arbroath will hump us.

I should point out that although we were able to keep a clean sheet today against Queen of the South they only really have Connor Shields as a threat going forward.

Should ICT play a full strength team and actually try and win then we won’t be able to keep all of Todorov, Mackay and Allan quiet. They will score a couple.
Shields isn't even our top goalscorer.

42 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I didn't think Ayr were as poor today as we'd been led to believe.  The problem seems to be where the goals are going to come from - they had the chances to put us away today.  The plus side is that its a meaningless fixture for ICT (bar the points cash as one of the Raith guys has already mentioned somewhere).

4 hours ago, qos_75 said:

You're probably right, but it's suddenly bloody easy to say, isn't it?