The Relegation Dogfight

The Relegation Dogfight  

320 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Today’s results rendered that result about as likely as finishing ninth. Queens is nicely placed for a mid-table finish, something most of their fans would have killed for before Christmas!

Yes I'll be pretty happy to finish mid table. To continue the theme as above us winning against Raith and Dunfermline in the next week would have us very much still in the mix for a play off spot and neither result is outlandish. 

Like you i reckon we'll finish mid table but we're still in the mix looking up the way.

1 minute ago, rb123! said:

The fact we weren't even a vote option when this forum was created is some laugh

The fact that almost 30% of respondents had us finishing bottom also seems weird now.  At the time though, it looked to me like a surprisingly low figure.  I certainly contributed to it.

On 28/03/2021 at 11:47, ayrunitedfw said:

Remaining fixtures for the (not so) Fantastic three.

Ayr United- 27 points

Arbroath (A) - prediction lose

Qos (H) - prediction draw

ICT (A) - prediction lose

Final points total 28 points

Morton- 26 Points

Hearts (H) - prediction lose

Alloa (H) - prediction win 

Arbroath (A) - prediction draw 

Final points total 30 points

Arbroath- 26 Points

Ayr United (H) - prediction win

Dunfermline (A) - prediction lose

Morton (H) - prediction draw

Final points total 30 points 

There you are, adjusted your post and added predictions for final three games.

Never seen it coming but Ayr could be in the shite.

7 minutes ago, Paisley Ton said:

There you are, adjusted your post and added predictions for final three games.

Never seen it coming but Ayr could be in the shite.

Those predictions are what give me the fucking fear! We simply have to win at Arbroath.

The only positive is our goal difference advantage. However, the margins are wafer thin. Morton weren't far off being 1 point in front of us today. 😱

It is squeaky bum time!

Edited by Trogdor

Just now, Trogdor said:

Those predictions are what give me the fucking fear! We simply have to win at Arbroath.

The only positive is our goal difference advantage. However, the margins are wafer thin. Morton weren't far off being 2 points in front of us today. 😱

It is squeaky bum time!

I think Arbroath are fine, as they will pick up points in all of their final three games. We need a win somewhere, don’t see where it is though! 

Just now, No_Problemo said:

I think Arbroath are fine, as they will pick up points in all of their final three games. We need a win somewhere, don’t see where it is though! 

Agree, I felt today was our best opportunity tbh.

3 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Agree, I felt today was our best opportunity tbh.

It’s just infuriating watching us, we have no quality at all really. We somehow just need to pick up draws, as that’s the best we can do. We knew losing Cammy Smith was disastrous at the time, it’s truly showing now.

13 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

It’s just infuriating watching us, we have no quality at all really. We somehow just need to pick up draws, as that’s the best we can do. We knew losing Cammy Smith was disastrous at the time, it’s truly showing now.

Aye, losing Smith has exacerbated the problem. However, not adequately replacing Cameron and Anderson has meant we've had nothing up top since January. It's a hard shift with no-one leading the line.

Yeah we're in big trouble, out of the 3 of us we've most definitely got the the most challenging 3 games.

Arbroath away which doesn't really need much explaining 

QOS at home who whether it's home or away we've got a terrible record against, a bogey team.

Then Inverness away on the last day of the season who could well be needing to win to stay in the play offs, again they're another bogey team who we must have only beaten about once in 12 attempts over the last few seasons.

SHIT

Oh No Reaction GIF

45 minutes ago, Paisley Ton said:

What did you do change your manager dump any players?

1. Stuck with Mark Kerr far too long

2. Let Mark Kerr chuck our decent players back to their parent clubs because he was useless at getting the best out of them. Bruce Anderson/Innes Cameron scored 0 league goals between them at us, second half of the season at their new clubs they've scored 7, enough said....

3. Have a bunch of players who are mostly gutless shitebags not up for the fight and haven't replaced any of our 'warrior' players such as Bell, Adams, Geggan, Docherty who would show some actual passion.

4. Hired a manager who has tried to put his style of play (hoofball) on a squad which isn't built for that so performances have never really turned around much

Apart from that it has been a good season. A season starting off with the aim of top 4 turning into potentially 9th is some laugh.

There's a realistic - and utterly hilarious - scenario emerging in which Arbroath and Morton would get to play out a mutually beneficial draw ala West Germany v Austria in the 1982 World Cup on the final day, with Ayr powerless to stop themselves being consigned to the play-off.

Just let that sink in.

68461480be32663605a4773763722339.jpg.f84129d9bb1ae85aca5b0790cac394cf.jpg

1 hour ago, virginton said:

There's a realistic - and utterly hilarious - scenario emerging in which Arbroath and Morton would get to play out a mutually beneficial draw ala West Germany v Austria in the 1982 World Cup on the final day, with Ayr powerless to stop themselves being consigned to the play-off.

Just let that sink in.

Thats the sort of position Ayr would find themselves in and manage to get beat 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Just let that sink in.

Aye that could well happen.

Just for accuracy West Germany v Austria wasn't a draw albeit it was indeed a mutually beneficial result.

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I don't quite agree.

Today's results helped make a mid-table finish the most likely outcome, but I think we've a better chance of 4th than 9th.  We have a game in hand over ICT and have yet to play Dunfermline.  If we could win 3 of our 4 remaining games, it would probably just about do it, despite our honking goal difference.  

I don't think that'll happen, but it requires a less convoluted sequence than does 9th place.

You're right not to agree, its clearly wrong.

We only need one more win to avoid finishing 9th

26 minutes ago, Mr X said:

You're right not to agree, its clearly wrong.

We only need one more win to avoid finishing 9th

We only need one more win to guarantee not finishing 9th.

I don't want us to test this theory, but I actually think it's likely we'll avoid that fate even if we lose all 3 remaining games, giving us no further points and an even worse goal difference.

It would still require Arbroath and Morton to each take 5 points from nine.   I think the chances are, that won't happen.

I think that both teams have a decent chance of doing so, but any further points that Queens pick up would render it irrelevant. With the Ayr card to play the most unlikely part of the equation is three straight losses for Queens. 

Edited by vikingTON

NB: I can also see this Morton side getting a battling draw with Hearts, results elsewhere going our way and then folding to an inexplicable 0-3 defeat against a relegated Alloa side regardless. There is no real gap in ability between the two sides; it is our best possible chance of three points but is not a banker by any means.