The Relegation Dogfight

The Relegation Dogfight  

320 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Have they announced when the play off dates will be? 

According to https://spfl.co.uk/pages/key-dates:

Championship play-offs, Semi-Finals 1st leg: 5th May, 2021.
Championship play-offs, Semi-Finals 2nd leg: 9th May, 2021.

Championship play-offs, Final 1st leg: 12th May, 2021.
Championship play-offs, Final 2nd leg: 15th May, 2021.

It all comes thick and fast, 4 games in 10 days for 2 teams.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

I don't think they've updated that since the League 1 and 2 fixtures came out, they had the dates as:

Play-off dates
Semi-finals – Saturday May 8 & Tuesday May 11
Final – Saturday May 15 & Tuesday May 18

10 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Will they be playing the promotion (to the prem) and relegation play offs on the same day?

Edited by Thereisalight..

34 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

And lose in the Playoff.

I’d hope Ayr are in the play offs. Falkirk are probably likely to win League One, but I’d be more confident about Ayr taking care of Partick than I would Arbroath, Alloa, and Inverness, and I obviously don’t want to see us anywhere near them.

We’re never going to have both of them down there for too long, but if one of them’s suffering a bit longer then that’s better than nothing.

37 minutes ago, Toby said:

I’d hope Ayr are in the play offs. Falkirk are probably likely to win League One, but I’d be more confident about Ayr taking care of Partick than I would Arbroath, Alloa, and Inverness, and I obviously don’t want to see us anywhere near them.

We’re never going to have both of them down there for too long, but if one of them’s suffering a bit longer then that’s better than nothing.

Don't really disagree with any of that.  L1 results were entirely disappointing on their first week back and look like setting Falkirk on their way.

Still think Partick might orchestrate their own downfall. Them staying down would be some consolation.

Hopkin taking Ayr down would also be banter though.

2 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Don't really disagree with any of that.  L1 results were entirely disappointing on their first week back and look like setting Falkirk on their way.

Still think Partick might orchestrate their own downfall. Them staying down would be some consolation.

Hopkin taking Ayr down would also be banter though.

Aye, as you I’m no great fan of Hopkin, but there’s a bigger picture here, and Partick are far more objectionable than “Hoppy”.

As well as that, having either Arbroath or Alloa in the division next season will be preferable for our hopes of delaying our inevitable relegation by another year.

I don’t really see why Morton fans dislike Hopkin so much. It’s not a McCall/McKinnon scenario where he abandoned them for us. He tried to do his best as Morton and it simply didn’t work.

It’s probably going to be the case that he does better now he’s at a club who aren’t a complete dumpster fire behind the scenes and already have a half decent squad for him to work with.

I do agree however that anyone finishing 9th gets the immense honour of keeping little Thistle down and savouring the McCall tears that go along with it.

Think Arbroath would be best suited to keeping Thistle down. McCall is a bit of a jammy bugger when it comes to things like playoffs. Although this current Thistle team full of glue factory candidates and completely devoid of any creativity might be beyond even him

40 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t really see why Morton fans dislike Hopkin so much. It’s not a McCall/McKinnon scenario where he abandoned them for us. He tried to do his best as Morton and it simply didn’t work.

I don't think many of us dislike him. Just perplexed by him. Things behind the scenes weren't great but it was him who built one of the biggest squads in the division and have it still only have three defenders (two years in a row). Nothing of what he said publicly ever really matched up with what was actually happening. Also no-one expects any team in this division to play like a mid 90s Deportiva la Coruna, especially not one managed by David Hopkin, but some of the football was dire and the tactics almost insultingly defensive at times. Which ye'd excuse if it worked but it still, somehow, managed to include Robbie Muirhead.

I still quite like him mind you. I hope he does well, even at Wee Ayr, but really don't want him to manage Morton ever again.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

It’s probably going to be the case that he does better now he’s at a club who aren’t a complete dumpster fire behind the scenes and already have a half decent squad for him to work with.

I do agree however that anyone finishing 9th gets the immense honour of keeping little Thistle down and savouring the McCall tears that go along with it.

Their fans aren't the smartest. Hopkin was working at a club that couldn't afford to pay the players - he worked on no pay at Morton for a while as well. Hopkin eventually left because of the financial trouble there. Now somehow they've brought in a new manager, something isn't right with that at all. 

17 minutes ago, MS RR said:

Their fans aren't the smartest. 

Coming from the team that spent a whole season explaining how they had done nothing wrong when they poached McKinnon and how he was gonna save them.

How did that go?

Hopkin pished money up against the wall. Then came out with excuses to protect his own reputation. Fine, he's allowed, but he left to keep that reputation intact and not because of any financial difficulties. @Dunning1874 has a better memory than me for this stuff but pretty sure he left just before/after we got that £500k ScotGov bailout money and, as pointed out, we've made signings and brought in a whole new management team since then. 

8 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Will they be playing the promotion (to the prem) and relegation play offs on the same day?

I believe so. I think the Prem play-off QF is on the same dates as the Champ play-off SFs, and the Prem SF on the same dates as the Champ final.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

To be honest, having met him a couple of times, I felt he was a bit of an arsehole, and nobody I’ve spoken to that’s dealt with him has really had anything positive to say about his attitude in and around the club to junior members of staff, young players etc.

If he’d had that attitude towards folk and been successful I’d have happily overlooked it, but he’s just not the sort of person I’d like to go for a pint with. I’ve also got my doubts about his supposed philanthropy when at Cappielow- he and Dave MacKinnon were very good at talking each other up when there was a charm offensive to go on, that I wouldn’t doubt that that story has at least been somewhat exaggerated.

That said, if he ends up in a play off against Falkirk or Partick he’ll have my best wishes of course.

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Don't think you will find a huge amount of deep hatred but a lot of respect was lost thanks to his attitude towards the fans at times, his defeatest attitude talking the club down and talking up almost every team we played and also the rip-roaring arse he made of it.

Currently though, having just left and having taken over a pretty direct rival, wishing sporting misfortune is nothing more than completely expected.