St Mirren v The Rangers 16/12

Lex

14 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Two contrasting posts and its Kincardine who comes across as the magnanimous one. Incredible scenes. 

Ach, I think everyone watching the game appreciates how well St Mirren played, I was semi-complimentary towards them in my half time summary, but if it’s a surprise that a fan is focusing on the performance of his own team, then you’ll be surprised a whole lot on this forum.

Well done Saints, I’m just not going to gush over them when I’m in a rager of a mood with my team 😂

4 minutes ago, Lex said:

What can you say about that game.
They came flying out the traps and we looked lost. Concede the early goal and you’re thinking here we go 0-3 nap.
Then we just edge into it. Doyle-Hayes gets his foot on the ball, McGrath starts getting involved and they couldn’t cope with Connolly’s runs all night and we get the equaliser from one of them.
In at 1-1 and just thinking second half hold on for pens.
We start the second half on top and then an absolutely outstanding bit of play, Connolly, Obika, McGrath, goal. Beautiful.
Inevitably start dropping deeper and looking tired and the equaliser wasn’t a huge surprise.
Think fucking hell, we were so close and we’ve blown it.
This team though, they just keep doing things you think they won’t do. Instead of huffing and settling for extra time - which would have been very understandable - we run up the park and win it.
Hard to pick out any individuals. Special mention to McGrath though, he looked a tidy player when he joined but he wasn’t offering enough end product. Now he scores every week, fantastic. Connolly is a hard running winger, the type defenders hate playing against, what a find he’s been. Our central midfield duo of Erhahon (19) and Doyle Hayes (21) play like a couple of seasoned veterans who’ve had a partnership for years.
Was another tactical masterclass from Jim too. Nullified Tav with Mason and Tait and the game plan worked perfectly. For all Rangers huff and puff Alnwick’s not had much to do.
Ten games unbeaten, knocked Aberdeen and Rangers out the cup, this is the best St Mirren team I’ve seen in thirty years, just gutted we can’t watch them live. Need to get a new contract sorted for the manager before bigger clubs come calling, what a job he has done.

Brilliant. Delighted for St Mirren, really am. Fabulous, especially the manner of it.

Finding it hard to marry it up with the disjointed bunch in black and white who grabbed an ill deserved last minute equaliser at Palmerston then won the penalty shoot out in the group stages mind. If you'd not got that you'd quite likely not have got out of the group but you did and then knocked out Aberdeen and Rangers!

Just now, madmitch said:

When was the previous occasion when neither of the Old Firm were in the semis of a cup? Discounting the Rangers period in the seaside leagues.

Sure someone said during the commentary on Radio Scotland it was the 2014 League Cup.

Edit - Though that would be during Rangers 1st Seaside season I think

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

Brilliant. Delighted for St Mirren, really am. Fabulous, especially the manner of it.

Finding it hard to marry it up with the disjointed bunch in black and white who grabbed an ill deserved last minute equaliser at Palmerston then won the penalty shoot out in the group stages mind. If you'd not got that you'd quite likely not have got out of the group but you did and then knocked out Aberdeen and Rangers!

I don't quite know what has happened to us since then.

Can only surmise that given the evidence that surfaced since that game, Covid was having some sort of effect on the players. It was certainly affecting our team selection and squad balance.

We've been remarkably settled in terms of first XI since then.