St Mirren v The Rangers 16/12

Lex

It’s nine unbeaten versus twenty six unbeaten. Something’s got to give.

Would be quite something if it was us that ended the run.

Surely not though, this competition should be The Rangers first ever major trophy. They can’t mess up this one aswell, can they? The pressure is all on them here.

How we get through is a shit fest draw followed by a win on penalties - we’re pure brilliant at penalties by the way. Possible? Of course. Likely? No.

a 'Win,Win' for Lex if his No voting brother pick up the points he'll be equally delighted.  

It’s a cup game Andy, no points available. Did like you as a player though. How’s life in Holland?

If we come out of this with a good performance and having avoided a demoralising doing, I'll be OK with that. 

Rangers have by far the best attacking record and the best defensive record in the league so it's no secret it's going to be a long night. 

However, if you remove the inflation of 6 goals that we never actually conceded, we have the best defensive record in the league outwith the top 3. 16 goals conceded in 14 games. Compare that to Accies who have lost 40 and Ross County on 32. We've been absolutely mean all season and it's not too much of a stretch to suggest that with a goalscorer in the side, we'd be comfortably up in the top five or six just now. 

Can we spring an upset on Wednesday? I mean I remember watching St. Mirren ship 7 going on 15 at Parkhead one Saturday and then deservedly putting the same 11 players out the Scottish Cup a week later so anomalies on cup ties do happen but as time and the weeks go on, you do get the feeling more and more that this is Rangers season on many fronts. They are as driven and hungry a team as I've seen in a long time in Scotland and are simply far too good for anyone they've faced so far. 

Under normal circumstances I'd say the pressure was on them not to f**k it up but they have eaten up any moments of pressure with ease so far this season. 

Andrew ‘Penalty to Rangers’ Dallas refereeing this one. 

Rangers obviously in stellar form this season, but we need to remember that at Ibrox earlier in the season a penalty should have given us a great chance to bring it back to 1-1. 

Who knows what might have happened thereafter. 

Not really expecting anything from this. So no injury and no red cards will do. 

8 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

Andrew ‘Penalty to Rangers’ Dallas refereeing this one. 

Rangers obviously in stellar form this season, but we need to remember that at Ibrox earlier in the season a penalty should have given us a great chance to bring it back to 1-1. 

Who knows what might have happened thereafter. 

Not really expecting anything from this. So no injury and no red cards will do. 

That’s it then, no point, gave them the win- move to fake saints this Saturday 

9 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

Great news regarding Dallas. St Mirren win. We will likely face the lethal Rangers combination of Dallas and Defoe following Morelos' inevitable retrospective red card after today.  

On current form, I'd rather we were facing Morelos. Dallas has a great scoring record against us.

Have watched all Rangers games in Europe which is nothing short of impressive. Gerard will go onto manage England one day that's for sure. Jim Goodwin has a good team with one of the premiership lowest budgets is impressive.  Take away the SPFL C19 punishment St Mirren would be in the top three for least goals conceded.  Saints problem is in the striking department a prolific striker would easily put Saints into the top six. On the Betfred cup tie Rangers are firm favourites but wait just a minute this is a one off cup tie. Rangers will know there in a game I'm sure but will it be enough to get into the next round. Fingers crossed.  

Edited by ZingaliMan

2 hours ago, flyingscot said:

I do think we have very little chance here given Rangers form and they will be desperate to win the cups. That said, we are at home and if they don't turn up, we could spring a surprise. 

The desperation to win a cup could backfire on us.

2 hours ago, flyingscot said:

I do think we have very little chance here given Rangers form and they will be desperate to win the cups. That said, we are at home and if they don't turn up, we could spring a surprise. 

One thing is certain. Dallas will do his utmost to ensure Sevco progress.

We are not just playing another team. We are playing against a protected institution. One that the authorities protect for commercial reasons.

It’s always been the case.

I don’t think I will ever forget the blatant cheating that has gone on by old Rangers players and match officials when we played them in league cup and Scottish cup semifinals in the 80s.

The SFA is a corrupt organisation. 

4 minutes ago, Yflab said:

We are not just playing another team. We are playing against a protected institution. One that the authorities protect for commercial reasons.

I don’t think I will ever forget the blatant cheating that has gone on by old Rangers players and match officials when we played them in league cup and Scottish cup semifinals in the 80s.

lmfao

If Durmus and Connolly are on it we will give them problems, the danger is the rangers play for set pieces around the box for Tav to do his thing and brother Dallas will be all to obliging, a lot like cellick used to do with Nakamura. It’s a free hit so what’s the worst that can happen

1 hour ago, Yflab said:

The early 80s semis were quite something.
They just did not care what they did in those days.

1 minute ago, Bobby_F said:

The early 80s semis were quite something.
They just did not care what they did in those days.

Let’s be clear Celtic have been equally protected down the years including two league games involving Eddie Smith https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1043492/St-Mirren-manager-Gus-enraged-winking-refs-penalty-award-Celtic.html

and the SC replay when McGrain broke Zicos leg and Doyle was allowed to score a debatable winner. 

The SFA and the SPFL will continue to allow blatant cheating by those teams or dubious penalties and direct free kicks to ensure the continued commercial success of “The Old Firm (sic) product”. Not only do they protect the “product” on the pitch, but they have failed to take action off it against the sectarian chanting and banners glorifying terrorists. 

They failed to penalise those clubs severely following the 1980 SC riot. Both teams should have been forced to play behind close doors the following season at the very least rather than the paltry £20K fine. 

Those fans continue to shame our nation at home and abroad and have done for decades. Scum.

6 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Have watched all Rangers games in Europe which is nothing short of impressive. Gerard will go onto manage England one day that's for sure. Jim Goodman has a good team with one of the premiership lowest budgets is impressive.  Take away the SPFL C19 punishment St Mirren would be in the top three for least goals conceded.  Saints problem is in the striking department a prolific striker would easily put Saints into the top six. On the Betfred cup tie Rangers are firm favourites but wait just a minute this is a one off cup tie. Rangers will know there in a game I'm sure but will it be enough to get into the next round. Fingers crossed.  

Is that John's brother?

2 days to go. Thread is 1 page; mainly Saints fans saying we'll probably lose to a much better Rangers side, and pointing out the extra help they may get if they need it.

Come Thursday and the game finishes Saints 0 Rangers 3, thread is 6 pages.

Come Thursday and the game finishes Saints 1 Rangers 0, then I predict a few more....