Albion Rovers v Elgin City

It's been a tough start for the Rovers but I still expect a difficult game. Hope Bronsky is fit although McHardy looked much more match fit when he came on last week. It's good to be at a stage where we could make 3 or 4 changes and not look much weaker.

Away win I’m afraid. I would gladly settle for a dull 0-0. What a job Gavin Price has done for Elgin. Probably the best Elgin team I have seen since the club came into the senior leagues. I fancied Elgin to be dark houses last year before the League abruptly stopped and I think they look good for promotion this year.

Plenty of effort from Rovers but just no cutting edge. Elgin’s goalkeeper has also made some good saves.

Rovers right back is having a torrid time of it against Elgin’s nippy little left winger- the guy that scored direct from a corner a bit against the run of play.

Elgin have settled nicely since the goal and look a good, strong side. Rovers full of endeavour, just lacking a bit of quality. Good news for them is that they seem significantly better than a genuinely awful Brechin City side.

Hard fought win for Rovers in a rough and tumble game that was enjoyable to watch. Showed a lot of heart and desire in the second half to turn the game around after Elgin had had the better of the opening period.

Equaliser also came from a conrer that was very poorly defended, then the second goal was a great indivdual effort (that the stream missed, bizarrely, for no obivous reason). Elgin looked out of ideas after that and bar one goal-line clearance didn't really come close to equalising. Rovers defended very well even when rediced to ten men late in the game (a guy was dismissed for a very soft second yellow IMO).

Rovers will take great heart from that result and performance and if they can turn in that sort of display most weeks they'll finish well clear of the bottom. Brechin and their reliable chicken-hearted ineptitude seems certainties for that presently. As for Elgin, they faded badly after half time and just switch off at the wrong moments. Both goals preventable today. A damaging result for them given QP's home toils against Edinburgh City.

Did not watch the game today but not surprised at the result. I feel we are in a false position in the league. Too many average summer signings mean I think we will finish mid table at best.If our pace up front is nullified we have little else to offer. After 20 years in this league I see little chance of moving up particularly  as we have understandable difficulty in attracting better players north . 

11 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Hard fought win for Rovers in a rough and tumble game that was enjoyable to watch. Showed a lot of heart and desire in the second half to turn the game around after Elgin had had the better of the opening period.

Equaliser also came from a conrer that was very poorly defended, then the second goal was a great indivdual effort (that the stream missed, bizarrely, for no obivous reason). Elgin looked out of ideas after that and bar one goal-line clearance didn't really come close to equalising. Rovers defended very well even when rediced to ten men late in the game (a guy was dismissed for a very soft second yellow IMO).

Rovers will take great heart from that result and performance and if they can turn in that sort of display most weeks they'll finish well clear of the bottom. Brechin and their reliable chicken-hearted ineptitude seems certainties for that presently. As for Elgin, they faded badly after half time and just switch off at the wrong moments. Both goals preventable today. A damaging result for them given QP's home toils against Edinburgh City.

I take it we got your money rather than Airdrie, Ivo? Regardless, that's a great summary and carries more weight than someone like me with red-n-yellow specs saying the same thing. Great result for the Mo too up in The Badlands!

I reckoned we were worth that in a game I'd written off. Defending from crosses (Elgin goal aside) was better, and given the goals we've lost to that route this season, it really had to be. We're not pretty but that's not a necessity to stay up; hard graft is, and we had that today.

Player-wise, we're utterly reliant on Matthew Aitken. He is an absolute talisman, and offers more than just a big body to hold the ball up. We've had very few threats at free kicks since Jered Stirling, and that's more than 15 years ago. so seeing Aitken over a Rovers free kick nowadays is a reason to get excited and could be the small margin that keeps us up.

Oh and a wee word for the new goalkeeper. I was surprised at that as a change since Goodfellow hasn't seemed any worse than any goalkeeper would be behind a defence of disorganised weans. However, Chris Henry took his chance today and certainly did nothing that would stop him getting a run now. 

36 minutes ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

I take it we got your money rather than Airdrie, Ivo? Regardless, that's a great summary and carries more weight than someone like me with red-n-yellow specs saying the same thing. Great result for the Mo too up in The Badlands!

Absolutely- I just didn't fancy the game at Airdrie today. Even in a normal season I'll spend a Saturday or two a month going to games as a neutral and I hadn't seen either of these teams this season. Rovers inexpereinced but a bit like the old Paul Martin teams. They know they're not the best in the division but make up for it with workrate and enthusiasm.

We always grind out a hard fought win at the Shyberrywhateveritscalledthesedays and the guys who watched it today seemed to think the second half particulalrly was comfortable for us. Very pleasing.

7 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Sorry my sincerest apologies.

I’m just joshin’

What a result for Rovers totally did not expect that. The next question is can we build on it. I’m hoping moving up a place might give these youngsters some confidence.

Thoroughly deserved Rovers win. I agree with Elginer 100%. Said it at the start of the season that we are a mid table team likely to finish  anywhere between 4th and 7th. Our defence has carried us a bit this year but not today. We rely too much on the goals of Hester, but he is a one trick pony and if his pace is nullified we are devoid of ideas. Not taking anything away from Rovers but the pitch was not conducive to passing the ball which we usually try to do, sometimes not very successfully right enough.

Its definitely far too early to be saying Elgin are in a false position. Its just one of those games where nothing seemed to get them out of first gear, which happens. If they'd punished the Albion defence for those dodgy moments in the first half its a different game, but they didn't. Albion then got on the ascendancy and finished the game.