Soup

• 2 years later...

Homemade is always best, prefer fresh ingredients and I make a big pan of broth every week or so based around chopped root vegetables, some barley, lentils herbs, seasoning etc, then the rest can vary such as adding greens like spinach or kale. I simmer it for an hour then leave it overnight in the pan and then transfer to fridge in morning. Lasts for days.

Tinned soup is for back up.

I usually have a buttered bread roll or one or two slices of buttered bread with it. How I treat the bread varies with the soup. I used to tear up a slice into small pieces when I was young and drop it into the soup, now I either dunk or just eat it seperate. I eat the bread seperate with soup when there are other people present.

Croutons are nice, but I draw the line at biscuits or crackers.

Who on here has to to have bread with their soup?

The biggest question is who prefers to keep their bread away from their soup, who dunks and who breaks up their bread into their soup?

Which one of these is in keeping with soup etiquitte and which of these is very odd and for the watch behaviour in your opinion?

1 hour ago, approximately dave said:

Homemade is always best, prefer fresh ingredients and I make a big pan of broth every week or so based around chopped root vegetables, some barley, lentils herbs, seasoning etc, then the rest can vary such as adding greens like spinach or kale. I simmer it for an hour then leave it overnight in the pan and then transfer to fridge in morning. Lasts for days.

Tinned soup is for back up.

I usually have a buttered bread roll or one or two slices of buttered bread with it. How I treat the bread varies with the soup. I used to tear up a slice into small pieces when I was young and drop it into the soup, now I either dunk or just eat it seperate. I eat the bread seperate with soup when there are other people present.

Croutons are nice, but I draw the line at biscuits or crackers.

Who on here has to to have bread with their soup?

The biggest question is who prefers to keep their bread away from their soup, who dunks and who breaks up their bread into their soup?

Which one of these is in keeping with soup etiquitte and which of these is very odd and for the watch behaviour in your opinion?

I had a German guy stay with me years ago.  My sister made a big pot of Scotch broth and brought it to my house. 

I made  spaghetti bolognese  so there was some grated cheese on the table.  Mancy b*****d took a handful and stuck it his soup.  I nearly fainted.

Yes, bread with soup and dunk.

Edited by SlipperyP

Just now, Cosmic Joe said:

A timely bump, as there is always a bit of an argument in our house over the soup for the traditional Christmas Eve meal, that I always lose. Beetroot v Wild Mushroom. 

Wild mushroom all day every day.

2 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

I had a German guy stay with me years ago.  My sister made a big pot of Scotch broth and brought it to my house. 

I made  spaghetti bolognese  so there was some grated cheese on the table.  Mancy b*****d took a handful and stuck it his soup.  I nearly fainted.

Yes, bread with soup and dunk.

Isn't this cheese is not for soup a British thing?

9 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

A timely bump, as there is always a bit of an argument in our house over the soup for the traditional Christmas Eve meal, that I always lose. Beetroot v Wild Mushroom. 

Wild Mushroom since its seasonal and more of a treat.

I like beetroots both pickled and not. I've never tried Borsch, I would like a few tries at making it. Supposed to be a good comfort food.

14 minutes ago, approximately dave said:

Could a tinned baked beans in tomato sauce be renamed bean soup if served in a bowl?

I mean it's practically soup anyway.

Harricot bean and tomato soup anyone?

https://www.indulgexpress.com/cover/2017/nov/17/no-room-for-clumsy-chilli-heat-cooking-with-matt-preston-4826.html

Matt Preston’s Soup
Ingredients: 440g can baked beans, 50ml pure cream, 150ml milk, finely grated zest of 1 orange, roasted whole coriander seeds (to serve), extra virgin olive oil (to drizzle).
Method: Heat baked beans in a saucepan until hot, and then purée with a stick blender until smooth. Add cream and milk and puree until soup has reached your desired consistency. Serve topped with orange rind, coriander seeds and a drizzle of oil to garnish.Matt believes that a great soup is fairly simple, which makes it harder to hide substantial ingredients. Some of the best soups are made with cheaper cuts of meat or seasonal gluts of vegetables.
Pairing: Pairs well with a Zinfandel Rose (by Sula for instance), as the light fruit and acidity work well with the beans. 

16 minutes ago, shuggz said:

A few years ago ,a heap of brussal sprouts left over."Thinks" make soup with them..some herbs and salt/pepper, Would not recommend .

Heat them up, shred them and chuck in a frying pan with bacon and honey.

Yummy, mummy.

10 minutes ago, shuggz said:

A few years ago ,a heap of brussal sprouts left over."Thinks" make soup with them..some herbs and salt/pepper, Would not recommend .

I bought some brussels cheap from the local Asda post Christmas a couple of years ago, cooked, blended them and used them as a base for soup. Very nice. Maybe the difference is if you use them with something else such as chicken, garlic, cream, maybe add cheese and croutons on top.