Soup

Good afternoon, I'm just sitting here having a bool of soup and considering how much I enjoy soup.  So much variery, so many flavours.  I'm currently having a Baxters Lentil & Bacon which is sublime and I've gradually departed Heinz as I indulge in more Baxters.

My favourite though still has to be a bowl of my mums home made soup, nothing can beat it.    There are few few flavours I don't like though mushroom can get in the sea as can French Onion.   Anytime I'm out I will always indulge in a bowl of soup for my starter.

My favourites would be the old classics, broth, lentil, chicken but I so enjoy the chinese and thai ones, the hotter the better.  I mind returning from India and my first meal back at my local Indian asking the waiter what soups they had, expecting a hearty mix of Asian delight only to be hit with Tomato, Oxtail, Chicken etc.  Marvellous.

Anyway what do you all think about soup,  what's your favourite, what don't you like about it etc etc

Ramen etc are fucking great but they walk the line between soup, and full blown meal that's a bit wet....

Home made soup is the absolute tatties though. Like you I dont particularly like Mushroom soup, and there are some that taste good but somewhat defeat the purpose of being hearty but also healthy, like French onion, or cream of chicken. 

For me, soup should be a delivery system for an ungodly volume of nutricion/vitamins etc. The type that gives your body a fright if consumed when at a low ebb. 

Soup and a sandwich (not just slices of bread) is a delightful combination. 

Just a shame that a lot of middle class garden centre-type places tend to charge £24.80 for the privilege. 

Edited by smpar

Always loved thick vegetable soups and lentil when I lived at home. 

A good mushroom soup is fantastic.

Borscht is probably the best some to come from Europe.

For Thai, most variations of Tom Yam are good, but Tom Yam Kathi is by far the best.

Pho Ba from Vietnam is great and Indonesian Bakso a little behind.

The best soup by far is Indonesian Sayur Asam. 

Generally Chinese soups are watery pish.

ETA: How could I forget pumpkin soup.

Soup is the business

Edited by Tight minge

I used to enjoy soup and crusty bread as an evening meal every week! Now I only tend to have it as a takeaway from cafes. Can’t be done with tinned soups as I find them to be too watery. Faves would be cream of mushroom, cream of tomato, leek and potato, cream of leek, carrot and coriander, spicy lentil, cream of broccoli, broccoli and Stilton 

Like my Arab chum a few posts up I only ever make my own soup from scratch. A huge pot of lentil soup with spices (and loads of carrots and the occasional tattie) does me for days. I can't recommend that enough tbh, just freeze the rest and microwave when required.

It takes very little time too. Just chopping the veg, frying it up a bit, adding lentils and stock and boil for about 30mins. Nae bother.

A wee blended soupie with parsnip and ginger is an utter treat too (although I have a decent harvest of celeriac that I could sub for that 🤔).

For a hearty b*****d you cannae beat Cullen Skink though. Ooft.

Tinned soup, on the whole, is generally shite compared to what you can do at home.  My lentil soup is head and shoulder (yes thats the secret ingredient) above any tinned shite.   As is my hen broth, cream of leek and other family favourites.   Tattie soup (made with brisket) with a decent oatcake (Stockans btw) will put the proverbial hairs on your chest on days like today.

Fin.

I like soup, too, although I don't have it as a starter when eating out anymore as it tends to fill me up and I have no room for pudding.

My mum made great soup which was nearly a meal in itself, along with bannocks it was great.

I could eat most tinned soups, Baxters are good but we usually end up with Heinz. (It's my own fault as I usually did the shopping pre COVID, Heinz must have been strategically placed on the shelves).

Some tinned soups can be a bit watery, minestrone, onion soup for example, but Heinz tomato soup wouldn't be in that category.

Edited by Jacksgranda
Sleppnig

Best:  The Glebe Park home-made soup.  F*** knows what it's made from (it's just "soup" on the menu), and I don't really care tbh.  Bound to be lentil-based, perhaps some carrot in there.

Eta:  Baxter's spicy parsnip needs an honourable mention.

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

Good afternoon, I'm just sitting here having a bool of soup and considering how much I enjoy soup.  So much variery, so many flavours.  I'm currently having a Baxters Lentil & Bacon which is sublime and I've gradually departed Heinz as I indulge in more Baxters.

My favourite though still has to be a bowl of my mums home made soup, nothing can beat it.    There are few few flavours I don't like though mushroom can get in the sea as can French Onion.   Anytime I'm out I will always indulge in a bowl of soup for my starter.

My favourites would be the old classics, broth, lentil, chicken but I so enjoy the chinese and thai ones, the hotter the better.  I mind returning from India and my first meal back at my local Indian asking the waiter what soups they had, expecting a hearty mix of Asian delight only to be hit with Tomato, Oxtail, Chicken etc.  Marvellous.

Anyway what do you all think about soup,  what's your favourite, what don't you like about it etc etc

i used to like Baxters Scotch Broth, recently though, it just doesn't taste the same.

ShbNUG9.jpg