Best Movies and TV of 2020

NotThePars

• 2 weeks later...

Netflix's Unorthodox is one of the most powerful shows I watched this year on torrent sites.

The four-part series, which is based on Deborah Feldman's autobiography of the same name, tells the story of Esty (Shira Haas), a 19-year-old Jewish woman who leaves her ultra-religious community in Brooklyn, New York for Berlin. Highly recommend!

Edited by tatf

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of rewatching this year and so much in general it blends into each other a fair amount. Things which stick out in particular tv wise:

Normal People, Tiger King (not even sure how much I liked it looking back but so watchable), Mandalorian, Race Across The World (South American version, the couples were all pretty perfect), Us, Gangs of London, I may destroy you. End of Schitts Creek and Bojack Horseman worth noting as well. Eta and of course gone fishing. Also watched the Spanish 90210, Elite, which is so so so good 

The Plot Against America and Brave New World were a bit of a let down that I couldn't be bothered finishing, didn't enjoy the Undoing too much. Having abandoned the first season halfway through His Dark Materials was surprisingly good at the second run. 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

46 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Having abandoned the first season halfway through His Dark Materials was surprisingly good at the second run. 

That's good to know. I got to about episode 8 and chucked it but might pick it back up again.

Netflix made lockdown very bearable. I got through a shitload of TV. I really do love Netflix and don't think I could ever get rid of it. Can't recall many films off the top of my head but The Platform was a really good watch. TV series and documentaries are usually good value. I enjoyed these ones but I'll have missed a lot as well:-

Aaron Hernandez documentary
Gabriel Hernandez documentary
The English Game
Tiger King
Lenox Hill
Somebody Feed Phil (latest)
Alice in Borderland
Ratched
The Last Dance
The Queens Gambit
The Haunting of Bly Manor (not as good as Hill House but still good tv)

Special mention to Space Force. I've yet to finish it but the scene with the chimp is hands down one of the funniest things I have watched on TV in years. Actual tears.

Season 3 (final one) of The Deuce. 
I know it’s a worn cliche now but it really blurred the tv/film lines. Movie stars in a movie quality production. Great scripts, great music and costumes. Sky Atlantic 

Undercover 

Dutch/Belgian shambolic drug lord gets taken in by two undercover police posing as friends/neighbours. Second season a bit grittier. A bit like Layer Cake, Narcos and Snatch but with lots of production style lifted straight from Gomorrah. Netflix

The Last Dance

Loved it. Worth checking The Defiant Ones too as it inspired the guy who made The Last Dance. Instead of basketball it’s rap and rock icons in the chair. If you like Straight Outta Compton you get a much more honest and interesting telling of the tale here. Was on Sky Atlantic but now Netflix.

Grayson Perry’s Art Club

Art Attack for old hipsters. Channel 4 player. The recent catch-up/revisit of folk from the season is worth watching even if you’ve not seen the series. Some amazing artwork done by all sorts of people, including some terrific wee painted figures by a lad with autism. Vic Reeves and a few other weel kent faces submit work too. 

I should check out The Last Dance. I don’t usually bother with big Netflix events as they happen cause it feels a lot of the time that it’s just cause everyone has Netflix that everyone is watching something and not because it’s necessarily any good but seeing TLD on loads of people’s end of year lists is a good sign.

• 3 weeks later...

Rewatched a couple of things recently so feel I can do a proper list now.

Honourable mentions:

Spoiler
  • Vivarium
  • The Vast of Night
  • The Invisible Man
  • Horse Girl
  • Make Up
  • About Endlessness
  • Shirley
  • Blow the Man Down
  • Only the Animals

Top 10:

1. The Lighthouse
2. Why Don't You Just Die
3. The Assistant
4. Parasite
5. Waves
6. Saint Maud
7. I'm Thinking of Ending Things
8. Relic
9. Never Rarely Sometimes Always
10. Clemency

• 8 months later...

Best series or show is blue exorcist one of the best anime japanese series. Full of action and thriller. Blue Exorcist is one of the amazing manga series. The genre of this anime is Dark fantasy with some thriller in it. This anime is a roller coaster of all emotions, it can be dark, happy, sad, thriller, adventurous all in one, in short, one of the best series all over the world. Kazue Katō wrote this manga series and nailed it. Later on, this manga got serialized and the anime released on television that catch everyone’s attention and became famous in a very short time.