QP V Edinburgh City

First half was a nightmare for Queen's. Couldn't understand why Murray was out on the left and Galt over on the right / centre. In the second half McLean's equalizer which was deflected by Balatoni was our first shot on target in the game. I was interested to see how a Gillespie / Carroll combination would work in midfield. I don't think it worked particularly well. Wonder what the starting XI will be for the next game.

1 minute ago, Spider Rico said:

One other observation, Ray McKinnon was right last week when he said Simon Murray was nowhere near ready to start games...............before starting him today?

Aye. He looked miles off it. Well, it's hard to say if he was actually miles off it. We spent the first half firing diagonals at nobody.

Somehow after today, the league table looks even better for us so I can’t complain too much but overall the performance, particularly in the 1st was poor stuff. Edinburgh pressed, looked solid and attacked effectively throughout and made life hard for any of the players to get any sort of rhythm going. However, the way we’ve gifted those goals was shocking. Albeit Edinburgh’s 1st goal was a tremendous finish, I have absolutely no clue what Grant is trying with that pass, really basic error. 

I guess the advantages of having a full time squad is that if any player is underperforming, they’ll be replaced by very capable players and that’s exactly what happened. Galt was having a stinker of a game and was rightly subbed, whilst quitongo was anonymous for large parts. Longridge was outstanding 2nd half, he showed a level of composure and quality that was distinctly missing the entirety of the 1st half. The 2nd Edinburgh goal was the one that really frustrated me however. No need whatsoever for Gillespie to dribble by players in a dangerous area, especially with the circumstances of how the game was going. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Lyon back in the starting 11 next week in place of him. Thought we would of held out for the win but some awful marking from a hopeful punt killed the chances of that. Why we allowed a player like Blair Henderson to have a free header to lay it off to someone in the box I’ll never know 

Man of the match me was Longridge or Carroll. Could see Carroll was getting frustrated with the lack of movement up top and maybe having a player like slater in front of him may have been beneficial. 

Edited by qpfc

10 minutes ago, Spidersmad said:

First half was a nightmare for Queen's. Couldn't understand why Murray was out on the left and Galt over on the right / centre. In the second half McLean's equalizer which was deflected by Balatoni was our first shot on target in the game. I was interested to see how a Gillespie / Carroll combination would work in midfield. I don't think it worked particularly well. Wonder what the starting XI will be for the next game.

Yeah I can see in certain games having the two of them sitting with a third midfielder (Slater or Mglinchey) a bit further forward might work but not like it was set up today

Thought we were tremendous first half, really well organised and moved the ball well. Draw probably fair overall. Wasn’t blown away by QP but that’s a team built to win this league and they will.

Not sure how yer man, number 28, got man of the match by the way......

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Sounds like it's going well for City... 

..so disaster looms...:lol:

A minute after I posted this QP equalised and then went ahead...tamthejinx

It would have been a great day for football- a couple of pre match libations in the QP club, a classic match to watch, weather not freezing, and then post match analysis with some fine and learned QP guys "never a penalty etc" over some more libations. Bloody Corona 

City seem to be firing on all cylinders again. There's another tough game next week against the Binos to come but I'm quite happy at the moment. For once.

It is a reflection on how high the bar has been set based on some of the comments on how poor Queens were in the first half. Expectations are high and rightly so but City were shown too much respect and that stems from the bench.

Disagree Queens met a team who were up for it ...I was super excited when I saw the team thought it was the most exciting starting 11 for a long time . Looking forward to the rest of the season. Five points clear undefeated.I would have taken this at the start of the season.

14 minutes ago, bridgeofweirdo said:

City were shown too much respect 

You should show us respect, provincial peasants, we're from the Capital after all.. :P

Actually with our two noisy neighbours and even our lovely landlords getting wins while we could only draw we were almost Edinburgh's disgrace. Fortunately the spotty students lost in the Scottish Cup to save our blushes.

It shows how far we've come. Still unbeaten, 5 points clear and yet it feels like a defeat. We should have seen the game out.

The good thing for us is our strength in depth in attacking options should see us continue to pull clear while everyone else takes points off each other in our pursuit.

We need a centre half in January. With Grant's hamstring a concern we can't get away with 3 centre halves until May.

Edited by The Resurrection

Disagree Queens met a team who were up for it ...I was super excited when I saw the team thought it was the most exciting starting 11 for a long time . Looking forward to the rest of the season. Five points clear undefeated.I would have taken this at the start of the season.
Agreed happy to be where we are today but would like to have seen them going for it from the kick off - in saying that still find some of the comments misdirected.

3 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

I can see why Gillespie was dropped earlier in the season to many people's amazement. He is so careless and way off the pace.

Would say that’s a fairly harsh assessment of Gillespie’s performances so far. Yes, admittedly I thought he was very poor today but on the whole i think he’s been a consistent performer particularly the last couple weeks. Although i think long term, Lyon and Carroll will end up being the starting pair in midfield 

The takeaway for me today is that for the first time in the league our opponents came at us and we didn’t cope at all with that. As well as the high press from EC they had obviously done their homework in Galt and Quitongo and crushed them both on space and time. McKinnon responded with a straight swap for both, without any tactical change, which for some reason foxed the wing defenders and suddenly space opened up and both Longridge and McLean made the most of it. The tide turned and it was ours to lose. 

Both Elgin and Stranraer also had good spells of rattling us but neither had the end product nor the energy. EC had both today and it’ll be a tight race between these two. If nothing else, we learned today this group can be challenged. Our Scottish Cup run will be a real indicator as to how we’ll see out the season. A day of realism for everyone at Queen’s Park, which is no bad thing. Especially as we’re top of the league after a six goal thriller at Hampden. Never thought I’d write that sentence. 

Would say that’s a fairly harsh assessment of Gillespie’s performances so far. Yes, admittedly I thought he was very poor today but on the whole i think he’s been a consistent performer particularly the last couple weeks. Although i think long term, Lyon and Carroll will end up being the starting pair in midfield 

Thought Gillespie was excellent last week so criticism overly harsh
No idea how Carroll Mom thought that was his poorest game for us and not sure how he escaped a booking
He looked a bit of the pace after missing last few weeks
Doyle or Longridge Mom for me but didn't make the shortlist [emoji28]
Bit of perspective top of the league by 5 points unbeaten after 8 games we'd all have taken that before a ball was kicked!

23 hours ago, CathcartSkins said:

Am looking forward to this one; EC are a good team, although we will prove too strong, I hope. 

3-1 win for QP with a couple of goals coming late on. 

Well, I got the 3 bit correct.

For me when we pass short and with pace we look comfortable; the long diagonal does not work. I have liked the variety of play at corners we have employed, lead to the penalty yesterday and goals in previous weeks.