QP V Edinburgh City

Expect this will be our toughest game so far. Edinburgh City are a good side who can cause us problems. However, if we keep doing what we've been doing, we'll be well positioned to get a result. The contribution from all of the players has been excellent in recent weeks. The last three wins have been real team performances and you can really see the understanding starting to grow among the players. Spirit seems great as well. Probably be a wee bit too soon for Murray to start, but expect we'll get another cameo as he builds his fitness. Would be hard to argue against going with the same XI, but there's a number of guys who could slot right in and do a job.

Buzzing for this game tbh, two strong in form teams up against each other. Edinburgh will always pose a threat with Henderson up top whilst also possessing a number of very good players throughout their squad for this level. 

Think the only change I’d make is Slater coming in for McLean purely because I’d like to keep Quitongo out wide. Didn’t think Quitongo was as effective at the striker position last week albeit it wasn’t a game where he could use pace to his advantage but his previous two hampden performances have been nothing short of outstanding so hopefully he’s back in the wider areas. This would allow slater to play the attacking midfielder role with Gillespie and Lyon sitting.  

If we play to our best ability, we’ll win the game simple as that. We’ll only lose games this season if our own performance levels drops. We won’t be outshone by other teams 

Edited by qpfc

58 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Other than the general standard of play and the move to scoring three goals a game, the squad looks really, really strong.  The bench on Saturday was impressive.

The tactics for Saturday? - hold them until 75 minutes then unleash Simon Murray.

That seems to be our main tactic. Run them ragged and when they are knackered bring on Simon Murray to finish them off.

City were founded originally to be the Queen's Park of the East. It didn't quite work out that way but intimation is the sincerest form of flattery!

We've been playing better in recent weeks but the next two look quite tough games- Qu££n's Park and the Binos. Shame about this bloody Covid and the fact Glasgow was Scotland's plague pit recently (:P but we're now on equal tiers and us clean living Edinbuggers still can't get a bloody pint), a trip through to Hampden is always good fun.

I'd take a hard earned point away from home but I have the fear as usual...

Apart from a masterclass by EC at Hampden a couple of seasons ago we’ve matched up reasonably well, at least in parts, but the results were poor due to poor defending around the six yard box where EC do most of their damage. I’m sure they’ll find it harder this week. As well as good work by our central defenders praise is due in equal measure to the full backs who make life difficult for wingers getting to the byline. 

At the other end of the park, it’ll be interesting to see the set up. Top of the league and at home you might expect a flamboyant attack section like last week but EC are a strong attack force too and maybe the middle section needs tightened a bit.. We’ll see if McKinnon has a different game plan for different fixtures. 

With regards to Simon Murray; I’d be content if he’s occasionally used up until the end of January. It seems obvious after being injured for so long that the Championship or even lower Premiership clubs wouldn’t be interested. But if he gets back to good fitness and is rattling them in come the transfer window, and given we’re a business and the object of any business is to make a profit, then if a decent offer is made we’d likely be saying cheerio. He’s a class act and we should keep him as long as possible.

Tight game, QP to win by one. Hopefully 5-4. Looking forward to the Jack and Victor show.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

With regards to Simon Murray; I’d be content if he’s occasionally used up until the end of January. It seems obvious after being injured for so long that the Championship or even lower Premiership clubs wouldn’t be interested. But if he gets back to good fitness and is rattling them in come the transfer window, and given we’re a business and the object of any business is to make a profit, then if a decent offer is made we’d likely be saying cheerio. He’s a class act and we should keep him as long as possible.

I think Murray is here for the journey with us. I doubt he has signed a 3 year deal with us for no specific reason if he had immediate intentions to return to top flight football. Plus with the club being in a very strong position financially id imagine it would take a substantial amount of money to prize him away, which I doubt clubs would be willing to pay for a guy who’s been out for such a long period of time. Teams will also be increasingly vigilant of their own expenditure with the financial implications of covid.

Edited by qpfc

I am finding it difficult to assess games based on our new found strength in this division. Traditionally difficult venues have produced great results. This should be a great game and a far better barometer to judge where we are at. These are the sides that I would imagine will finish 1 and 2 at the end of the season. I think our teamwork is improving with every game and the strength in depth that we have is unmatched by any other team in the division. On that alone I will take us to win 2-1.

44 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

I am finding it difficult to assess games based on our new found strength in this division. Traditionally difficult venues have produced great results. This should be a great game and a far better barometer to judge where we are at. These are the sides that I would imagine will finish 1 and 2 at the end of the season. I think our teamwork is improving with every game and the strength in depth that we have is unmatched by any other team in the division. On that alone I will take us to win 2-1.

A good draw allowing the Binos to march upwards..........

Not going to predict this one as the last two games have proven successful while I keep shtoom!

QP are a good team and favourites in every game, we like a good surface and play football the right way so Hampden suits.  A draw would be a good result for us and keep momentum going.    

City well worth their half time lead. QP haven't coped with Edinburgh's pressing, counter attacking and overall good organisation. Goal came from an unforced error by Grant. Queen's first attack didn't happen until 25th minute and resulted in tame McHugh effort. And that was about it as far as Queen's chances for the half go. It'll be interesting to see what Ray (and the players) do about this in the 2nd half.

Two even teams cancelled one another out. Between deflections, fortunate penalty decision, and defensive errors, a draw was a fair result. No doubt in my mind these are the top two teams in this league. We just could not get going and looked a bit one paced. Credit to Edinburgh. Liked Longridge when he came on. I do think we missed Slater in there. No harm done.

Final score 3-3. A thriller! Halftime subs for QP paid off big time as Mclean and Longridge came on for Galt and Quitongo. Quick goal for McLean then 5 minutes later short coner led to lay off by Murray and Gillespies' shot judged to have been handled. McHugh banged in the penalty. Five minutes after that Gillespie failed to control ball while coming out of defence and a great dipping shot well beyond Muir made it 2-2. QPs next substitution, Baynham for Murray, paid off with Baynham finishing off move started by Kilday and continued by Longridge. Still time for City to get the equalizer QP hesitated at back,  Henderson outjumped Kilday to head down for McGill to score close in.

City deserved the point. QP had dreadful first half, but looked considerably better in 2nd half however City always dangerous. My QP man of the 2nd half was Longridge who was immense. Hope injury to Grant not serious.

Agree a draw was a fair result.

Quite sloppy across the park for the most part today. Was amazed that Gillespie was being mentioned in the commentary as a contender for man of the match, thought he was very poor today and no idea what he was thinking for the second goal.

A concern to see Grant going off injured. For all our options further up the park , we don’t have a lot of cover at the back. Morrison was absolutely no where for the third goal.

We've been extremely fortunate to play that poorly, particularly defensively, and get something from the game. First half was absolutely atrocious, with City the better team all over the park. We were everything we haven't been, so far, this season. Slack, pedestrian and generally disjointed.

The goals we lost were just absolutely horrific. Individual errors all over the place. That's something that hadn't really happened up until this point. Pretty much every player was below par, except Maclean and Longridge when they came on. How Carroll and Gillespie made the MOTM list, I'll never know. Both absolutely stunk the place out.

Somehow, we've come out of today further ahead than we began it! I struggle to see us being that poor on too many more occasions anyway.  Edinburgh City may be content with the point in the circumstances, but we were absolutely there for the taking. Improvement needed and expected at Galabank next week.

Edited by an86