Dumbarton vs Cove Rangers

Thought I'd get this one started despite nobody really looking forward to it (from a Sons point of view anyway). I'd agree with most of the chat that we need to shake it up a bit, perhaps changing formation and style of play but I suppose it depends on who falls in the injury bingo this week. Would be nice to see us hit the target this week, won't push my luck and hope for a goal but maybe we'll be surprised.

14 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Our first chance to see Cove and Mitch MegginSON.

I liked him when we had him.

Funny you should say that, I was just in the process of putting my interview with him from this week's Lennox online.

Mitch was a really good player for us. Even when he wasn't scoring he could always be counted on to put in a shift, so I'm pleased to see him doing so well - especially as a bit of a local hero at Cove. I saw someone on the Facebook page the other week saying that he wasn't given a chance by Ian Murray, which seemed like madness given he played 83 times in two seasons...That's every game for the two seasons he was a Dumbarton player. He speaks very highly of Muzz and (obviously) Jack Ross - both of whom played a huge role in getting him to where he is today, one of the best strikers in the lower leagues.

Having said all that I hope he has a shocker of a game on Saturday. 

Mitch appeared to be missing from their squad last week, I did have a wee hope to myself that it might have been a niggling 2 week injury keeping him out but I guess that's not the case and he'll be starting on Saturday?

Seeing that picture of Mitch and Prunts brings a tear to the eye. Then you remember we've got Robert Jones instead now and it brings even more tears to the eye.

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Mitch appeared to be missing from their squad last week, I did have a wee hope to myself that it might have been a niggling 2 week injury keeping him out but I guess that's not the case and he'll be starting on Saturday?

Seeing that picture of Mitch and Prunts brings a tear to the eye. Then you remember we've got Robert Jones instead now and it brings even more tears to the eye.

I don't know to be honest. I did that interview last week so we had it for yesterday's paper - so he could've done something to himself at training on Thursday (or whenever they train) or in the warmup on Saturday. 

I love going through the old pictures in the system, they're one of the major reasons why I've been doing so much with former players - it gives me an excuse to use them. That kit :wub: That team :wub:

51 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Funny you should say that, I was just in the process of putting my interview with him from this week's Lennox online.

Mitch was a really good player for us. Even when he wasn't scoring he could always be counted on to put in a shift, so I'm pleased to see him doing so well - especially as a bit of a local hero at Cove. I saw someone on the Facebook page the other week saying that he wasn't given a chance by Ian Murray, which seemed like madness given he played 83 times in two seasons...That's every game for the two seasons he was a Dumbarton player. He speaks very highly of Muzz and (obviously) Jack Ross - both of whom played a huge role in getting him to where he is today, one of the best strikers in the lower leagues.

Having said all that I hope he has a shocker of a game on Saturday. 

I think guys like Mitch and then Robert Thompson, were good modern inside forwards. Not really wingers. They were at their best starting wide before cutting in and offering a threat. If Megginson had been at another lower league club then he's the kind of player you'd see stepping up to a Championship club. No real need to with Cove as they'll get there soon enough.

Wee Mingeys goal against a star studded Dundee Utd team in the cup always sticks out for me, the classic cut inside from him. A newly signed, future Champions League winner lined up against us that night and I remember being blown away by how good he was with his deliveries into the box. 

I’m now sitting here depressed thinking about some of the shite Ol’ Slapheid has assembled compared to that team. Without a doubt the best team we’ve had in my lifetime.

The offer of 3 home games for 30 quid seems a good deal.10 quid per game over the Christmas period  is good and would make a nice wee prezzie.Also a geat boost to club funds.

As for tomorrow, I do not think we can expect much but having said that this league is really unpredictable and we DO have decent players and we are capable of playing good football.It just needs to click on the day which is where JD comes in.Ultimately though the players are those that cross the white line and it's up to them to put in the shift.

Edited by lorenzo71

McGeever and Reilly the only two players out tomorrow.

Based on that, and with absolutely nothing to lose given we can't score these days, I've decided I want to see us lineup like this.

Kevin Dabrowski

Sam Wardrop Stuart Carswell Morgyn Neill Rico Quitongo

PJ Crossan Nat Wedderburn Chris Hamilton Adam Frizzell

Denny Johnstone Jaime Wilson

I was listening to a thing on the radio the other day about (I think) Brentford. And they'd evaluated the previous 10 promotion winners from the Championship and what the side had done, and they came to the conclusion that they had to aim to score two goals per game. Above all else. If they average two goals per game then, statistically, they'd probably be promoted.

That's what we need to do imo. It's all very well getting clean sheets, but if you don't find the net then you'll be relegated. Simple. I'd far rather lose tomorrow 4-3 but show a right good attacking threat, than camp in our own half and draw 0-0. As mental as I'm aware as that might sound.

Do I think Crossan and Frizzell are better centrally than out wide? I think I do, yes, especially with Crossan. But we don't use the wings enough and they'll give us two guys who are happy to take the ball from the defence and drive at players a bit. It'll also give us two natural wingers. Not a left-back on the wing and a wide midfielder. Two actual wingers.

Johnstone can do the #9 role, and Wilson can buzz about him. Will it work? I've no idea, but it's got to be worth a shot. We aren't changing the defence at all so it should be fine, and Wedderburn and Hamilton can both provide plenty of defensive cover - whilst also showing an eye for a pass forwards.

I would imagine the chances of the above team starting however are approximately 77/1.

3 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Why aren't clubs kicking off at 1.30pm to save on the costs of floodlights? Seems like an obvious way of saving money to me

I don't know. But that doesn't seem the worst idea to man. Especially for games where the opponents are local; Airdrie, Clyde, Falkirk and Thistle for example.