Games That Lived Twice

HibeeJibee

Opposite of 'Games That Never Were' this is games that were played to a conclusion then voided and played again for whatever reason.

Again a motley collection and I'm bound to have missed some:

Partick Thistle v Abercorn (1894-95)... Partick 4-4 Abercorn on December 1st voided for reason?, replayed on February 23rd finishing Partick 5-1 Abercorn

Hamilton Academical v Arthurlie (1902-03)... Hamilton 2-3 Arthurlie on April 11th voided for reason?, replayed on May 15th finished Hamilton 4-2 Arthurlie

Ayr United v Falkirk (1934-35 SFL I)... Ayr 2-3 Falkirk on March 9th voided for match-fixing and bribery, replayed on April 10th finishing Ayr 3-1 Falkirk

East Stirlingshire v Albion Rovers (1979-80 League Cup R1 2nd leg)... 'Shire 0-0 Albion (1-1 on aggregate) on August 22nd voided for incorrectly being taken straight to penalties (9-8) without extra-time, replayed  on August 27th finishing 'Shire 1-4 Albion

Cowdenbeath v Arbroath (1991-92 League Cup R1)... Cowdenbeath 5-1 Arbroath on August 14th voided for ineligible player, replayed on August 21st finishing Cowdenbeath 1-0 Arbroath

Montrose v Arbroath (2000-01 Scottish Cup R1)... Montrose 0-1 Arbroath on December 9th voided for 2 suspended players, replayed on January 6th finishing Montrose 0-0 Arbroath (replay Arbroath 1-2 Montrose)

Elgin City v Spartans (2008-09 Scottish Cup R2)... Elgin 2-1 Spartans voided as Elgin fielded player registered after 1st attempt at tie and Spartans fielded ineligible player, replayed on December 15th finishing Elgin 1-2 Spartans

Dunfermline Athletic v Stenhousemuir (2009-10 Scottish Cup R3)... Dunfermline 7-1 Stenhousemuir on January 9th voided and reversed for suspended player and insufficient U21s, replayed on January 26th finishing Stenhousemuir 1-2 Dunfermline (aet)

Peterhead v Ayr United (2014-15 SPFL1) ... Peterhead 3-2 Ayr on November 15th voided for suspended player, replayed February 21st finishing Peterhead 2-0 Ayr

Crusaders v Livingston (2016-17 Challenge Cup R4)... Crusaders 1-2 Livingston on October 7th voided for suspended player, replayed on November 1st finishing Crusaders 0-3 Livingston

Assuming you're not restricting this to games involving Scottish teams...

Newcastle United v Nottingham Forest (1973-74 FA Cup 6th Round) Newcastle 4-3 Forest on 9 March, voided because the Newcastle supporters invaded the pitch when they went 3-1 down and the game was stopped for eight minutes. Forest protested and the game was replayed at Goodison. Finished 0-0 after extra time; Newcastle won the second replay (also at Goodison) 1-0.

5 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

East Stirlingshire v Albion Rovers (1979-80 League Cup R1 2nd leg)... 'Shire 0-0 Albion (1-1 on aggregate) on August 22nd voided for incorrectly being taken straight to penalties (9-8) without extra-time, replayed  on August 27th finishing 'Shire 1-4 Albion

Whoops... I posted this one in the other topic. This was actually Albion Rovers home leg, first leg was at Firs Park.

Something in the back of my fading memory makes me think of a Juniors game at Olive Bank between Musselburgh and Dunbar over 20 years ago 

I think Gordon "Pogo" Smith was the Musselburgh manager. In the later stages of the game he tried to make a sub but his assistant is tried to stop him as the maximum number of subs have been made. Smith told his assistant to go away and referee Stuart Duncan allowed the substitution to take place having not noticed that Musselburgh have made their maximum number of subs already. Dunbar protested the result, Duncan was censured I believe, and the match was replayed, possibly at a neutral venue 

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

Something in the back of my fading memory makes me think of a Juniors game at Olive Bank between Musselburgh and Dunbar over 20 years ago 

I think Gordon "Pogo" Smith was the Musselburgh manager. In the later stages of the game he tried to make a sub but his assistant is tried to stop him as the maximum number of subs have been made. Smith told his assistant to go away and referee Stuart Duncan allowed the substitution to take place having not noticed that Musselburgh have made their maximum number of subs already. Dunbar protested the result, Duncan was censured I believe, and the match was replayed, possibly at a neutral venue 

We've ventured into non-league but 2 examples:

Gretna v Stirling Uni in Alex Jack Cup R1 2013-14. Drawn at FT. For reasons never satisfactorily explained: ref took it straight to pens. Gretna won. Ordered replayed which Stirling Uni won.

Earlier this season Heriot-Watt University 2-0 Burntisland Shipyard. Referee let Heriot-Watt make 5 subs across more than 3 stoppages but Burntisland couldn't. Ordered replayed when it finished 1-3.

• 1 year later...
On 07/12/2020 at 21:38, HibeeJibee said:

Opposite of 'Games That Never Were' this is games that were played to a conclusion then voided and played again for whatever reason.

Again a motley collection and I'm bound to have missed some:

Partick Thistle v Abercorn (1894-95)... Partick 4-4 Abercorn on December 1st voided for reason?, replayed on February 23rd finishing Partick 5-1 Abercorn

Hamilton Academical v Arthurlie (1902-03)... Hamilton 2-3 Arthurlie on April 11th voided for reason?, replayed on May 15th finished Hamilton 4-2 Arthurlie

Ayr United v Falkirk (1934-35 SFL I)... Ayr 2-3 Falkirk on March 9th voided for match-fixing and bribery, replayed on April 10th finishing Ayr 3-1 Falkirk

Cowdenbeath v Arbroath (1991-92 League Cup R1)... Cowdenbeath 5-1 Arbroath on August 14th voided for ineligible player, replayed on August 21st finishing Cowdenbeath 1-0 Arbroath

Partick v Abercorn - the teams jointly protested that the referee in their match was incompetent. Their protest was upheld and the official was removed from the referee's list.

Hamilton v Arthurlie - the appointed referee didn't turn up so the match was invalid.

On 27/07/2022 at 20:41, free beer said:

Partick v Abercorn - the teams jointly protested that the referee in their match was incompetent. Their protest was upheld and the official was removed from the referee's list.

The past is a foreign country, they do things differently there..

You could easily imagine something like that happening today. But VAR will sort it all out of course.

On 08/12/2020 at 17:08, tamthebam said:

I may be mistaken, but I'm not sure the referee is supposed to intervene here anyway?

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

I may be mistaken, but I'm not sure the referee is supposed to intervene here anyway?

I think it was a bit of a minter for Stuart Duncan when the protest was lodged- something in my drink addled brain remembers he may have got a ticking off by the SFA. 

On 07/12/2020 at 21:38, HibeeJibee said:
On 07/12/2020 at 21:39, HibeeJibee said:

Peterhead v Ayr United (2014-15 SPFL1) ... Peterhead 3-2 Ayr on November 15th voided for suspended player, replayed February 21st finishing Peterhead 2-0 Ayr

Just noticed this, nearly two years late. Both games were at Somerset rather than Balmoor, the replayed match took place on 3 March and it finished 3-3. From what I recall Rory McAllister scored a hat-trick in the voided match.

Edited by RedEd

On 28/07/2022 at 17:39, Arch Stanton said:

Falkirk v St. Mirren, 23/11/96

Falkirk "won" the match 1-0 with a goal by John Clark. Turned out Clark was ineligible and the match was replayed on 08/01/97. The replay was a 1-1 draw, 

Falkirk charged full price admission for both games.

The sheer level of the oversight also directly led to Eamonn Bannan getting his jotters as Falkirk manager.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

The sheer level of the oversight also directly led to Eamonn Bannan getting his jotters as Falkirk manager.

A theory going around was that it was the excuse Fulston needed, in order to bring Alex Totten back.

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 18th, 2014 - COVE RANGERS 2-0 TURRIFF UNITED
(Aberdeenshire Shield semi-final, Allan Park, Cove, Aberdeen)

A previously postponed game was played to a conclusion with Cove winning. Almost immediately, the other final participant, Inverurie Loco Works, tweeted that the final the following week would not go ahead as planned, for reasons then unknown. 

Turns out Cove had signed former Aberdeen man Mark Perry on a short-term contract and played him in the game when they shouldn't have. Pointing and laughing ensues, and Turriff were haw-haw-haw'ing their way into the final by default only for Cove to go through Turriff's teamlines themselves and notice the Fermers sub goalkeeper was an equally ineligible player, and the game was scheduled to be replayed at a neutral venue. Cove sulked about that to the man upstairs, managed to wangle a replay at their own midden - charging everyone full price to get in once again, naturally - and promptly lost, missing a late penalty on the way. 

Turriff eventually lost the final to Inverurie, 5-0 at Christie Park, Huntly. 

• 4 months later...

Morton and Thornliebank took five games to settle a Renfrewshire Cup 2nd round tie in 1882-83.

Dec 2nd: Morton 2-2 Thornliebank

Dec 9th: Thornliebank 1-3 Morton (Protest from Thornliebank about an ineligible player in the Morton side. This was upheld and a replay ordered).

Dec 23rd: Morton 2-1 Thornliebank (Protest from Thornliebank about the poor light. This was also upheld).

Jan 20th: Morton 2-2 Thornliebank (Protest from Morton about one of the Thornliebank goals and that time was called too early. This was upheld and the replay was ordered to be played at a neutral venue - Cartbank, Johnstone)

Feb 10th: Thornliebank 3-1 Morton

The Renfrewshire Cup back then is full of stuff like this with players walking off in the huff, pitch invasions forcing abandonments and teams simply not turning up.

Edited by AyrshireTon
Clarifying the correct century in the date.