Brexit Transfers

17 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

Sure. However, having a strong enough domestic league has allowed for the likes of Gallagher and O'Donnell to play well for the national team. Even a Considine type player can be drafted in as cover, safe in the knowledge that the Scottish Premiership is an adequate standard to select a player from for international level.

A decreased league standard will mean young Scottish players being bled into a less competitive league and therefore developing less swiftly. A decrease in league quality also makes a jump to a higher quality league harder for a player if they do earn a transfer out. So more chance of them failing once moving and repeated failures would see outside interest in Scottish league players cooling off. You'd see talented youngsters having to leave much younger as happens in Croatia. A Scott McKenna who could stay at Aberdeen until 23 would instead be off at 19 or 20.

There are already no African, Asian or Latin American players in Scottish football. EEA players now also being blocked could leave our domestic league with very few foreign players at all outside of Rangers and Celtic. This would definitely reduce standards but by how much or how little, it's impossible to predict.

Eh? Without even going over Ambrose which was covered below, we have Steve Lawson who I'd imagine would qualify for a work permit given he's Togo's LB and plays most games?

2 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Eh? Without even going over Ambrose which was covered below, we have Steve Lawson who I'd imagine would qualify for a work permit given he's Togo's LB and plays most games?

Lawson plays for Togo but is French and therefore didn't need a permit. 

Oh wait, I think I misunderstood your point. You're saying that even if Lawson had no EU citizenship and was instead just Togolese then we could still have signed him because he plays regularly for Togo? I don't think so because the national team must place quite high in the FIFA rankings for the current criteria. I think it might even be the top 50. So if we take Hernandez who Aberdeen signed, Venezuela are currently 28th in the FIFA rankings. Togo are currently 128th, so Lawson would've had no chance.

Edited by Guest
Misunderstood question

18 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

I think you're over-doing the 'drop in standard' bit. I just had a look at the line-ups for the three sides immediately behind the Old Firm at the moment from last weekend and if we take out non-UK and Irish players, it's not exactly a massive shift.

Perhaps lower down the table it's more of a thing to bring in players from abroad on short-term deals. But most of these lads are poor players who add little to the league. The odd good one aside.

I don't think our national team is suddenly going to suffer irreparable damage because Accies have to stop signing so many foreign players. Our best players will still leave and go to England, and the ones left behind will be playing in a league of broadly the same standard as now. Scott McKenna isn't still in Scotland because there are foreign players in the league. He's still in Scotland because he's not very good. Plenty of our players leave, and that will remain the case. Indeed, opportunities in England will increase for our players.

I’m assuming the Nottingham Forest fans will be wondering where their centre half is?

Guest TheJTS98
5 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I’m assuming the Nottingham Forest fans will be wondering where their centre half is?

Aye, worded it wrongly but the point was that he didn't stay around till a grand old age because of foreign players in our league. If he was a better player, he'd have gone earlier. The two issues aren't related.

34 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Aye, worded it wrongly but the point was that he didn't stay around till a grand old age because of foreign players in our league. If he was a better player, he'd have gone earlier. The two issues aren't related.

This is how it works, yes. 

He is exactly the same standard as the banjo kid, with both going south at 23, much better than Kenny McLean (26) but nowhere near as good as Fraser Fyvie (19).  

Guest TheJTS98
2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

This is how it works, yes. 

He is exactly the same standard as the banjo kid, with both going south at 23, much better than Kenny McLean (26) but nowhere near as good as Fraser Fyvie (19).  

And that was my point. The number of foreign players in the league isn't the issue in players moving away.

Guest TheJTS98
1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I'm confused.

I said his ability was the reason for moving earlier or later.

You have quoted me saying his ability was the reason for him moving earlier or later.

For some reason this seems to be confusing you.

Fyvie was a very good player as a teenager. Better than McKenna. But he stagnated. I don't see this as a complicated issue. You seem to wish to. I've never claimed a player has one level of ability for their entire career. McKenna didn;t move as a younger player because he's never been very good.

I can't help any further.

Edited by TheJTS98

20 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

I'm confused.

I said his ability was the reason for moving earlier or later.

You have quoted me saying his ability was the reason for him moving earlier or later.

For some reason this seems to be confusing you.

I can't help any further.

I'm confused as to why you think he would have left earlier if he was better. If anything he stayed longer because he was better for us than Villa's last minute shady offer. 

Guest TheJTS98
7 hours ago, coprolite said:

I'm confused as to why you think he would have left earlier if he was better. If anything he stayed longer because he was better for us than Villa's last minute shady offer. 

I'm still not sure how this gets you to some kind of objection to my point that the presence of some mediocre South Americans or Portuguese players would have neither hastened nor delayed his departure.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at at all.

Anyway...

Suggested here that even Celtic and Rangers may be affected by the changes, at least in the short term.
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-rangers-business-model-warning-23158164

So, back to buying up all the opposition teams best players......

14 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

Suggested here that even Celtic and Rangers may be affected by the changes, at least in the short term.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-rangers-business-model-warning-23158164

The big thing out of that is that it looks like the work permit appeals panel will be scrapped after January. The SFA being (too?) liberal in their appeal judgments is why players who weren't getting permits in England were getting them in Scotland (e.g. Efe Ambrose after he left Celtic). It looks like the most the SPFL / SFA might be able to haggle the Home Office down to is having a lower world ranking threshold for the countries that full internationals can be signed from.

15 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

But the SPFL are trying to persuade Westminster to have a sliding scale when it comes to deciding who is allowed to play here in a bid to have the bar lowered for Premiership clubs.

🤣 - made me laugh that did. SPFL persuade someone? 

“My view is that we’re not going to persuade the Home Office to move away from that relatively formulaic points-based system, relying heavily on international appearances, which will be common across Britain."

They're deluded if they thought for a second the current London administration will allow different rules in Scotland. Politically they'll want to make a statement that its "one UK". 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Pretty detailed piece on the implications for Scotland in the Athletic today, with a particular focus on Academy players:
https://theathletic.com/2197585/2020/12/16/brexit-scottish-english-transfers/?source=user_shared_article

Some quotes worth picking out:

Many anticipate it will make the Old Firm’s attempts to scoop up the best of the rest more difficult but it is understood that there has been a gentleman’s agreement between Scottish clubs to pause the signing of players from rival clubs during the pandemic, even if several deals are thought to be all but done.

That is opening up the chance to replace them with English players, with one leading Scottish clubs said to be “all over” players exiting English academies due to the lower compensation fee on cross-border deals.

It is not all doom and gloom, though, as Hibernian sporting director Graeme Mathie believes there is potential for clubs to benefit from the interest.

He revealed that Hibs have agreed to enter into a partnership with a lower-league club, who want to plan loan moves for 15 and 16-year-olds 18 months in advance. “They now see themselves as part of our development process,” he says, stressing that it is a deeply integrated relationship that covers various areas of development.

Going to be a lot of interesting developments in the very near future. I assume the gentlemans agreement relates to Academy players only.