Getting better at Fifa

Karpaty Lviv

I like to think that I’m quite good at Fifa, I can adapt and use different formations and I try to pass or dribble my way through rather than pace abuse. I also love to use 4-1-4-1 and defend (Greece were fantastic to do this with a few years ago) and I got some relative success out of Iceland last year but they have regressed quite a bit.

I get to a point where I’m comfortably beating quite a lot of players on seasons (I don’t play Ultimate Team) but when I come up against someone a bit better than me, it just gets infuriatingly hard. I concede far too many goals and lose concentration at the back.

I know that defending is by far the hardest part of this game with the defensive player switching in particularly being terrible and the AI stopping the player you’ve just switched from on the stop which allows a one two become ridiculous to defend in some scenarios so I’m looking for any advice to get a wee bit better.

I know one or two basic skill moves but hardly use them in game (fake shot and drag to the side aside). My mate is one of the best players in Scotland and has beaten several professional players but from what I’ve seen of his gameplay is that it’s just skill moves with the odd sweaty thrown in. I can’t think how that can be fun. 

I know this might seem a bit futile without seeing me play a game of FIFA to judge for yourself, but I’d imagine quite a few of you are a lot better than me.

I didn't get FIFA 20 due to the terrible reviews but, against my better judgement, bought FIFA 21. I've generally been a division 1 player but I've just managed to get myself relegated from division 5 which is a bit embarrassing. Same problem as yourself, just cannot seem to keep the ball out the net despite playing 5-3-2. My finishing could be better this year but difficult to win games when losing 4+ goals per game. Lost count of the amount of 6-6 draws I've had... Mental.