Arbroath vs Alloa

As a neutral it wasn't the worse game I've watched but for the commentators to say in the 1st half it was a better spectacle than the Ayr game last night was utter nonsense.

Alloa have tended to punch above their weight for some time, today wasn't such an occasion, Lichties were a poor looking outfit who deserved little from the game and got less than that.

That game had 0-0 written all over it. A howler from Gaston gave them the win. That was Alloa’s first shot on target. Gaston has been excellent this season. 2 goals in 7 games is poor. No point blaming Dolan, he needs service. Bobby was good and his substitution inexplicable. However, if we play 433 with two wingers both of them need much more end product and midfielders need to get in the box. TOB mom as usual. Craigen pass marks. Good return for Whatley. Gold poor. Ruth up top and Smith behind him for the next match.

Two sides lacking confidence and a cutting edge I thought.  Both pretty solid and fully committed but very few chances created. A draw would have been fair but from our point of view a massive win and as we hoped, Scougall did make a difference in attack. Hopefully he can build on that with more games. Jamieson did well too, another encouraging performance from him. Worrying to see Taggs go off given he is pretty much never injured. But a big win and just need to try to add to it the next few weeks then hopefully get a bit more in up front in January. 

I wouldn't be panicking if I was an Arbroath fan. Sides looked similar today and QoS and Morton looked pretty limited against us too. There will be lots of chances to pick up points. 

Arbroath TV was smooth and I enjoyed listening to the Fermer. 

4 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

That game had 0-0 written all over it. A howler from Gaston gave them the win. That was Alloa’s first shot on target. Gaston has been excellent this season. 2 goals in 7 games is poor. No point blaming Dolan, he needs service. Bobby was good and his substitution inexplicable. However, if we play 433 with two wingers both of them need much more end product and midfielders need to get in the box. TOB mom as usual. Craigen pass marks. Good return for Whatley. Gold poor. Ruth up top and Smith behind him for the next match.

Unfortunately, going by past recent history, it'll probably be the same formation/team as today. Dick is very loyal to the failing strikers he's brought in - Spence, Donnelly and now Doolan. We can complain about the service to Doolan but he just doesn't look like the kind of player that's going to get on the end of any kind of service - he has no physical presence, is eased off the ball to easily, has no pace, isn't particularly good in the air... or on the ground. But Dick will probably persevere.

Arbroath were good in defence and midfield - but were lacking a spark just outside the 18 yard box - lots of hard work and effort, but struggled to break down's Alloa's defence.

A very good result for Alloa - but a game Arbroath should never have lost.

In games sometimes you have to create your own luck and chances - Arbroath had lots of the ball, but struggled to create any chances on the edge of the 18 yard box ( which Alloa defended really well).

Bobby Linn, Ricky Little , Hamilton and TOB all played really well.

The TV quality was also very good - so well done to Arbroath TV for providing good live footage of the match.

Well, a disappointing result but the camerawork and even the commentary showed great improvement from a few weeks ago.  However as soon as the commentator said a goal was looking likely, that was us cursed.    Even the Alloa scorer admitted he thought the shot would be easily collected.   Not getting beaten was a basic requirement from that game - always start from where you are.

At home, against well organised sides like Alloa, it's always going to be a struggle to break down a deep and tight packed defence.   Linn and Hilson worked hard to create space I thought but Doolan got no change up front and only managed a few touches when he fell back.  As in previous games though, the final ball was not always the best.  I like the solidity and drive Whatley brings - Gold had a poor game and Craigie showed only occasionally.   The defence was generally solid and, since Alloa were relying on the fast break dealt with that well.       

I also think, confronted by tight/organized defences, Swankie is maybe the best option off the subs bench though McKenna did well when he came on and I keep thinking Ruth will come good, maybe alongside Donnelly.  Without a Doris-type forward, then  long balls are getting us nowhere.

One other observation. I note the Arbroath foul count has been fairly high these past few games, certainly compared to the opposition.  Yet  today I would have said Alloa were more physically assertive (look how Doolan never touched the ball up front).   I wondered what is going on here, since we are a footballing side.  Is it, as with the poor final balls, being a little off the pace, lacking a bit of care and attention or is it starting to become a lack of confidence?

I start to think our best opportunity  may come in away games, if the defence can hold and avoid making the occasional mistake

I couldn't understand why Campbell took Linn off. He was busy and dangerous- one of only a few on either side who looked capable of providing a bit of craft to open things up.

A proper battle today, evenly matched so it was great to get the 3 points. I thought Robbo was good in the middle til Taggarts game ended and a switch was needed.

Jamieson excellent again at the back. Andy still getting his groove but he gets through on heart and instinct. Didnt give Doolan a sniff today.

Well, a disappointing result but the camerawork and even the commentary showed great improvement from a few weeks ago.  However as soon as the commentator said a goal was looking likely, that was us cursed.    Even the Alloa scorer admitted he thought the shot would be easily collected.   Not getting beaten was a basic requirement from that game - always start from where you are.
At home, against well organised sides like Alloa, it's always going to be a struggle to break down a deep and tight packed defence.   Linn and Hilson worked hard to create space I thought but Doolan got no change up front and only managed a few touches when he fell back.  As in previous games though, the final ball was not always the best.  I like the solidity and drive Whatley brings - Gold had a poor game and Craigie showed only occasionally.   The defence was generally solid and, since Alloa were relying on the fast break dealt with that well.       
I also think, confronted by tight/organized defences, Swankie is maybe the best option off the subs bench though McKenna did well when he came on and I keep thinking Ruth will come good, maybe alongside Donnelly.  Without a Doris-type forward, then  long balls are getting us nowhere.
One other observation. I note the Arbroath foul count has been fairly high these past few games, certainly compared to the opposition.  Yet  today I would have said Alloa were more physically assertive (look how Doolan never touched the ball up front).   I wondered what is going on here, since we are a footballing side.  Is it, as with the poor final balls, being a little off the pace, lacking a bit of care and attention or is it starting to become a lack of confidence?
I start to think our best opportunity  may come in away games, if the defence can hold and avoid making the occasional mistake

Looking at Ruth today he’s a bigger, stronger lad than I thought. Maybe he can play up front in the middle.