Dundee United v Sevco 13/12/20

54 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I still don't think the phoenix club are THAT good - they are okay and know how to play with a lead, but maybe haven't been tested domestically yet by a side taking the lead against them - Easter Road possibly being the only exception. 

We have played them undercooked on Day 1, then riddled with injuries and covid in the Ibrox game. Again they play a Covid decimated side here in a ground I believe they have never won on.  All their key players seem to have remained fit for the most part.

About time someone found them out - will it be here?  Maybe not - Dundee United rivalled Accies for the possibly the worst side I've seen us play this season - we absolutely horsed them 0-0.   Is Shankland the real deal or a flat track bully?  This would be a nice time to emerge again Lawrence.....

See the problem here is that for a side to take the lead against us, they’d have to actually score. And the only teams able to do that this season are ourselves and Hibernian Football Club. Defense wins championships, as the Americans say.

Btw, none of the factors you mentioned RE: the two Aberdeen games would have changed the outcome in any way whatsoever. 

8 hours ago, G51 said:

See the problem here is that for a side to take the lead against us, they’d have to actually score. And the only teams able to do that this season are ourselves and Hibernian Football Club. Defense wins championships, as the Americans say.

Btw, none of the factors you mentioned RE: the two Aberdeen games would have changed the outcome in any way whatsoever. 

And slowly but surely, the pre 2012 attitude begins to prevail. 

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

And slowly but surely, the pre 2012 attitude begins to prevail. 

Well with all due respect, I was answering the post-2012 attitude of “there’s no way Rangers could have built a good team”. 

We’re 25 games unbeaten this year. This is a good team. The idea that we haven’t been “found out” yet is amusing.

1 minute ago, G51 said:

Well with all due respect, I was answering the post-2012 attitude of “there’s no way Rangers could have built a good team”. 

We’re 25 games unbeaten this year. This is a good team. The idea that we haven’t been “found out” yet is amusing.

Except he didn't say that, did he? You just got a bit sensitive at the suggestion you haven't been properly stress tested yet.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Except he didn't say that, did he? You just got a bit sensitive at the suggestion you haven't been properly stress tested yet.

That is literally what he said - “About time someone found them out”.

I’m absolutely fine with people saying “Rangers aren’t a good team this year, they’re just okay” - football is all about opinions! But come with something to back up your statement that is better than “We played you Day 1 and we weren’t quite ready to play yet”. Otherwise you are going to get laughed at.

1 minute ago, G51 said:

That is literally what he said - “About time someone found them out”.

I’m absolutely fine with people saying “Rangers aren’t a good team this year, they’re just okay” - football is all about opinions! But come with something to back up your statement that is better than “We played you Day 1 and we weren’t quite ready to play yet”. Otherwise you are going to get laughed at.

About time someone found them out = post 2012 Rangers can't be any good? OK.

I think it's fair to say you haven't been properly tested yet. You came up against a thoroughly insipid Celtic at Parkhead, and it is 100% true to say you have played Aberdeen twice and on neither occasion have we been at anything close to full strength. That's not say we'd have won, it just supports the idea that there may be tests to come.

FWIW, I don't think it will be at Tannadice. In any case, you're going to win the league. Don't be so sensitive.

I suppose it depends on what basis you are judging if Rangers are a good team.

Is it in comparison to the rest of the SPFL? If so, we are currently a good team.

Is it in comparison to our Europa League Group? If so, we are currently a good team.

If it's in comparison to Europe's elite currently playing in the Champions League? Well, they should count themselves lucky they haven't met us yet! (This is obviously sarcasm before someone accuses me of acting superior).

In all seriousness, Rangers are currently a good team. Football can change very dramatically in a short period of time though, but surely you have to judge on how we are currently performing rather than if we had played teams at a different time or if they had a few extra players available?

25 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

About time someone found them out = post 2012 Rangers can't be any good? OK.

I think it's fair to say you haven't been properly tested yet. You came up against a thoroughly insipid Celtic at Parkhead, and it is 100% true to say you have played Aberdeen twice and on neither occasion have we been at anything close to full strength. That's not say we'd have won, it just supports the idea that there may be tests to come.

FWIW, I don't think it will be at Tannadice. In any case, you're going to win the league. Don't be so sensitive.

No ones upset here mate, we’re talking about football. This is what we all like to do on here. So calm yourself a wee bit.

Of course there will be tests to come, it’s a league season, that’s how they work. But this is a team that’s on pace to absolutely shatter existing defensive records in the Premiership and win over 100 points. If you’re going to contest that the team doing that “isn’t that good - they’re just okay” then tell us what you’re seeing that the numbers or the eyes aren’t. Saying “well Aberdeen were missing some players” doesn’t really cut it when you had a combined xG of less than 1 across both games.

There are flaws in this Rangers team - they’re susceptible when you throw something at them they’re unprepared for. When you win the battle on the wings and force them through the middle, it takes them longer to get going. But these are very difficult flaws to exploit, and that’s what makes Rangers good.

The idea that a team can go 25 games unbeaten to start the season having played Benfica, Galatasaray, Celtic etc without being properly tested doesn’t really stack up does it - it’s the sort of thing you’d expect to read in the Daily Record Hotline.

12 minutes ago, G51 said:

No ones upset here mate, we’re talking about football. This is what we all like to do on here. So calm yourself a wee bit.

Of course there will be tests to come, it’s a league season, that’s how they work. But this is a team that’s on pace to absolutely shatter existing defensive records in the Premiership and win over 100 points. If you’re going to contest that the team doing that “isn’t that good - they’re just okay” then tell us what you’re seeing that the numbers or the eyes aren’t. Saying “well Aberdeen were missing some players” doesn’t really cut it when you had a combined xG of less than 1 across both games.

There are flaws in this Rangers team - they’re susceptible when you throw something at them they’re unprepared for. When you win the battle on the wings and force them through the middle, it takes them longer to get going. But these are very difficult flaws to exploit, and that’s what makes Rangers good.

The idea that a team can go 25 games unbeaten to start the season having played Benfica, Galatasaray, Celtic etc without being properly tested doesn’t really stack up does it - it’s the sort of thing you’d expect to read in the Daily Record Hotline.

The only correction I'll make is that I should've said you hadn't been tested domestically, as your European record is impressive.

Otherwise, you just seem very sensitive to the fairly harmless opinion that Rangers might not be unbeatable.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

The only correction I'll make is that I should've said you hadn't been tested domestically, as your European record is impressive.

Otherwise, you just seem very sensitive to the fairly harmless opinion that Rangers might not be unbeatable.

How can I be sensitive to an opinion that I agree with? Rangers almost certainly won’t go the entire season unbeaten domestically - it’s almost statistically impossible to do that, and it’s only happened twice in Scottish league history.

That wasn’t the opinion that I challenged. 

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

How can I be sensitive to an opinion that I agree with? Rangers almost certainly won’t go the entire season unbeaten domestically - it’s almost statistically impossible to do that, and it’s only happened twice in Scottish league history.

That wasn’t the opinion that I challenged. 

This is ruining a match thread. it appears we agree that rangers are good but not that good. Well leave it there.