Ayr vs Raith Rovers

17 hours ago, Jilted John said:

Not confident about this one. The last time I saw us win at Ayr was when the big guy on loan from Wimbledon scored in a 0-1 win! Can’t for the life of me remember his name??

I think Hendry needs a rest in this one, has looked lazy with his passing in the last couple of games. I’d bring Spencer in for him.

If we need to rest Hendry, and we should now and then, a game against a top half of the table team isn’t the time.

However, on a related note, who is the best replacement for Hendry, if we are resting him? He’s obviously a major distribution hub and seems to be playing more defensive midfield overall. Davo, a few years ago, would the natural fit...Spencer seems to be a bit off (as others have noted), but has had little playing time...Tait is much the attacking mid, but has the distribution skills...

...so here’s where this goes off the rails, fire away. Is it possible that Mendy’s a better fit in the future as a defensive mid? I’m not trying to convert him right now, as we need the CB cover and he needs to focus on that role, but if we retain him, going forward...huge physical presence...high motor...shows (increasingly) intelligent distribution...a nightmare for opponents in the box.

This has got score-draw written all over it. Wouldn't be dissappointed with that tbh especially as Cammy Smith (a major influence when he's in the team) isn't playing.

Anderson was lively against Alloa and certainly up for it but not sure who Kerso will bring in to replace Smith - Zanatta? McKenzie or Walsh (if fit, and push Moff alongside Anderson?).  There's also the prospect of bringing Reading back and pushing Aero into midfield to allow Chalmers to push up more. I'm sure they'll be working on something all week. 

Not confident about this one. The last time I saw us win at Ayr was when the big guy on loan from Wimbledon scored in a 0-1 win! Can’t for the life of me remember his name??

Our relegation year, a couple of years back, we won 2-0 down in Ayr first game of the season with Callachan and Matthews being the scorers that day. It could have been more convincing as well.

That game made it look like Gary Locke may actually have known what he was doing. Oh how we were wrong!

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

However, on a related note, who is the best replacement for Hendry, if we are resting him? He’s obviously a major distribution hub and seems to be playing more defensive midfield overall. Davo, a few years ago, would the natural fit...Spencer seems to be a bit off (as others have noted), but has had little playing time...Tait is much the attacking mid, but has the distribution skills...

...so here’s where this goes off the rails, fire away. Is it possible that Mendy’s a better fit in the future as a defensive mid? I’m not trying to convert him right now, as we need the CB cover and he needs to focus on that role, but if we retain him, going forward...huge physical presence...high motor...shows (increasingly) intelligent distribution...a nightmare for opponents in the box.

I'm pretty sure RaithTV said Mendy played center mid during a bounce game, maybe i picked it up wrong. Surly spencer would surly be better even if he is a bit off it just now

2 hours ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Our relegation year, a couple of years back, we won 2-0 down in Ayr first game of the season with Callachan and Matthews being the scorers that day. It could have been more convincing as well.

That game made it look like Gary Locke may actually have known what he was doing. Oh how we were wrong!

I remember this game well - our first back in the championship and you were miles in front of us. Remember going home thinking we were nowhere near championship sides in terms of tempo etc. 

We obviously weren’t but neither were you in the end!

On 06/12/2020 at 17:34, itzdrk said:

Smith is out but Tom Walsh is probably due to make his league debut for us replacing him. 

Do you think? I reckon it’s more likely that Dario starts here. I always feel like a player feels he has something to prove against his former club. 

Is TxRover related to Mendy? Anytime I've ever seen him post about Raith he somehow manages to bring up the suggestion that Mendy should be playing. 

To be fair to Tex, he spent all of last season telling us Tait should be playing.
Turns out he was right.....

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Looking forward to our first Friday game on BBC Scotland channel. It’ll make a nice change to be able to understand the commentary.

Ach Niall isn’t that bad.

16 hours ago, TxRover said:

If we need to rest Hendry, and we should now and then, a game against a top half of the table team isn’t the time.

Mendy for centre forward. He’ll be our version of Euan Murray.

Put him on as a replacement for Duku when he runs out of steam.

For Hendry, get Vaughan fit. Failing that, it’s Tait or Spencer. Both of whom could fill in.

This game is making me feel very misty eyed! Thinking back to the game when Jamie Adams scored and his passion afterwards was the same as every single Ayr fan there that day. Thinking we’d blown it by fcking up at Alloa. Going to the last game of the season through “loyalty” rather than with any expectation. Getting more and more anxious as time went on and Raith hadn’t scored. Thinking it would have been better had Raith won 5-0 rather than scoring a winner in the 89th minute. That anxious wait at the end. Running onto the pitch to celebrate what looked highly unlikely 6 days before. Seeing the helicopter arriving. Celebrating with my Dad. 

So much has changed since then. McCall is a divisive figure at Somerset, and my Dad left us in Feb. That day will live with me forever though ❤️

Ayr 1-1 Raith is my prediction