Turin or Milan

welshbairn

Thinking of going to the Nation League finals in October, a semi each in Milan and Turin, and final in Milan. It's only 45 minutes by train between the two, so where I base myself doesn't matter too much. Anyone willing to sell either city to me? I'm veering towards Turin because it sounds a bit more compact in the centre so good for a wander. There's a fair choice of airports too, so any particularly shitty ones I'd like to know about. 

It's Italy so it will be great. Good train links between them and they are close enough together that it doesn't really matter, you will get to see enough of either regardless of where you base yourself. Could even do both as overnight to save travel back after an evening ko

On 05/12/2020 at 22:54, Mr X said:

If you want to go sight seeing then Milan, by far. 

Interested to know why you are so definite in your advice. 

I have visited both at least annually for the last 20 years. To be fair always en route to (primarily) Torino or another Northern destination such as Genoa, Reggio Emilia or further down to Parma.

I am wholly biased but Torino is a hugely underrated destination, its compact, and is rich in modernity and historical interest.

Having said that Milan is far easier and cheaper to reach even if you travel via Bergamo. For that reason I would say base yourself in Milan with some time and a stay in Torino. 

Interested to know why you are so definite in your advice. 
I have visited both at least annually for the last 20 years. To be fair always en route to (primarily) Torino or another Northern destination such as Genoa, Reggio Emilia or further down to Parma.
I am wholly biased but Torino is a hugely underrated destination, its compact, and is rich in modernity and historical interest.
Having said that Milan is far easier and cheaper to reach even if you travel via Bergamo. For that reason I would say base yourself in Milan with some time and a stay in Torino. 

Ive been to both, Turin seemed very industrial, Milan seemed very touristy. Not really anymore than that to be honest.

I'm sure there is a hige amount of Turin I didnt see, which is why I said if he wants sight seeing to go for Milan

• 2 weeks later...

Been to Milan a few times and it's a wonderful city with plenty to see and do.  

Only been to Turin once a few years ago in January to watch Torino V Internazionale on a day trip. I got an early train and the last one back to Milan. I wish I'd given myself longer because it seemed a superb city and quite big too. Though it was absolutely freezing all day. Even colder that Gayfield park and Pittodrie on a winter's day...