Strange/Funny Fitba Team names.

Their was a junior team from Johnshaven in Kincardinshire with the wonderful name of Johnshaven Dauntless active between 1909 & 1958. Sounds like something out of one of those old radio detective plays from the 40's or 50's.

In the world of the living my favourite Scottish club name is Gala Fairydean Rovers. The names comes from the fabled fairy dean in Elwyn Glen on the road out from Galashiels to neighbouring Melrose. West Of Scotland League club Craigmark Burtonians from Dalmellington in Ayrshire is probably second.

Galafairydeanroversfc.png
craigmark-burtonians.jpg

Edited by GNU_Linux

Bolivian top flight team Club Always Ready:

Club_Always_Ready_Escudo.png

Continuing in Bolivia I'm rather fond of clubs named after people. Here's C.D. Jorge Wilstermann named after Bolivia's first commercial pilot:

1280px-Club_Jorge_Wilstermann.svg.png

Chilean 3rd tier C.D. Arturo Fernández Vial named after an admiral of the name:

Club_Deportivo_Ferroviario_Almirante_Art

Of the same division there's General Velásquez named after José Velásquez Bórquez a general who fought in the war of the pacific:

Escudo_Club_Deportivo_General_Vel%C3%A1s

Closer to home West Of Scotland Premier Auchinleck Talbot are named after the 2nd Baron Talbot De Malahide, Richard Wogan Tablot who donated the land where the clubs Beechwood Park stands today:

Auchinlecktalbot.png

3 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Continuing in Bolivia I'm rather fond of clubs named after people.

In Portugal, you have Gil Vicente FC, named after a portuguese playwright.

Badge has a bit of a French look to it.

270px-Gil_Vicente_FC_logo.svg.png

I remember being fascinated for a wee bit that one of the biggest teams in Zimbabwe was called Chicken Inn FC. Club is named after a Zimbabwean fast food joint, like Gustavo Fring made a team that would play in the Champions League.

Chickeninnfclogo.png

Triangle United was another one in that country that also particularly struck me as odd.

On 09/12/2020 at 04:02, Sergeant Wilson said:

The Strathclyde Saturday morning league (previously this civil service league) has AC Milanda and used to have a team called LP20, after their work department. That lead to confusion quite often when the results got updated.

Was that the same league that Henhousemanure and Hamilton Lackadaisicals played in?

Not particularly strange or funny but I like how almost all Japanese clubs were run by corporations and bore their name pre professionalism. From the hight of the boom years, Yamaha winning the league with Mazda and Toyota being relegated. Yomiuri, today’s Tokyo Verdy, the only club side in there, they were a division of one of the big baseball teams. Steve Patterson, of Inverness and Aberdeen, played for them around about this time, the first European player in Japanese football.

1192EE7F-E450-4995-BA3D-C4D75E53D617.thumb.jpeg.9986120293b055e4294ae9819eebfb0c.jpeg

Pakistan currently have some pretty weirdly named clubs in their league, government agencies, sections of the armed forces and a whole religion are represented:

128ED3B8-FB27-452D-98BB-6A8E0BD8114C.thumb.jpeg.1a07d3af0ec9e2e559db17b196a05620.jpeg

On 08/12/2020 at 18:02, Sergeant Wilson said:

The Strathclyde Saturday morning league (previously this civil service league) has AC Milanda and used to have a team called LP20, after their work department. That lead to confusion quite often when the results got updated.

There's an AC Mill Inn playing in the Aberdeenshire Amateurs

1 hour ago, dysartrovers said:

I love it football manager when young boys are interested in your player and you get a caption saying that said player likes young boys. Always keen to sell after that

I think there’s a Swiss team called Old Boys. I believe the played Young Boys in the cup a couple of seasons ago.

• 4 weeks later...

Flat Earth FC formerly known as UD Móstoles Balompié & CDC Comercial. Club's president Javi Poves is a flat earther & opted to change the name in 2019 which also saw the club move from Móstoles the second largest settlement in the Madrid Autonomous community to the city of Madrid. Currently playing in the Tercera División Grupo 7 the 4th tier of Spanish football.

javi.png

Ceres-Negro FC of the Philippines Football League were owned by Vallacar Transit but COVID related issues forced the owners to sell the club to Emirati-Filipino sports marketing firm MMC Sportz Asia. This resulted in a name change to what must be the most generic, bland & sterile club name in history.

united-city-fc.png