Stenhousemuir vs Brechin City

A token three points against a pub team. Nothing to write home about really but got the job done.

We were below par, you will get away with it against thurds and Albion Rovers but against proper sides that wouldn't ge good enough.

Stranraer will be a real test next week for sure.

A concerning performance from Stenhousemuir who really made hard work of putting away a limited side in Brechin City. Nothing stuck up front for Brechin, they lacked the qualities to battle in the middle of the park and their backline was often ramshackle but they certainly gave us a run for our money in the second half and will probably be disappointed not to take away a point - I was very relieved to see Scott Reekie's shot going over the bar at the death.

We were fine in the first half, with Andy Munro and Creag Little doing well to repel City's mediocre raids forward, and largely kept the play in their half. The opening goal, Munro heading in Callum Tapping's cross after six minutes, was the easiest we'll score all year, and Mark McGuigan's strike was well taken after good work down the left from Botti Biabi. But we stopped working as hard after the restart and allowed Brechin to win the second balls and push us back. I don't think it's unreasonable for us to expect a better display against a team who have shipped more than three goals a game this season.

I'm not quite sure what to make of this Stenny side. On paper, our starting XI is arguably the best in the division outside of Queen's Park but I've not been convinced in recent weeks. We need to see more from the likes of Biabi and Ryan Blair - these guys will be commanding a good wage and it's not right they're being shown up by the likes of Jack Hodge and Josh Grigor. I thought both youngsters did well, Grigor especially, operating in the quasi-centre-back-cum-sitting-midfielder role.

We're also not creating enough. I think we had one decent effort in the second half, a Mark McGuigan shot that forced Paddy O'Neill into a good save. We don't have anyone in the middle of the park that will unlock a defence (although I liked what I saw from Thomas Halleran when he came on, and I'd like to think he might start next week). I'm also not sure about this formation - a 2-1-4-1-2, I think, that was probably designed so Ryan Watters wasn't exposed on the left flank. God love him but he is not a wing-back and he was badly out of position for the visitors' consolation goal. Callum Yeats won't be back till the new year, apparently, so it looks like we'll just have to get on with it till then.

We'll need to see an improvement against an impressive Stranraer side (who cruised past Brechin last week, as it happens). Lose and I foresee another season of inconsequentially skirting around in the middle of the table.

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

It was a typical Stenhousemuir performance. Going 2 up but never quite believing that it will be enough against the worst team in the league. We were in a similar position against them last season when 2-1 up they got a late equaliser. History almost repeated.

Over the 90 minutes we were the better team, and in that first half I found myself contemplating whether Brechin were actually worse than Albion Rovers. Based on the first half they were. We should have been further ahead. Second half was a more even affair and certainly after the first goal went in it was quite uncomfortable especially the last 5 minutes. The space on our left was quite alarming. Presumably someone who knows more about how to set up a professional football team will have taken note.

Still finding myself seriously ambivalent about this season and I am ashamed to say, my own team. Would be stretching it to say I don’t care, but it just doesn’t feel real, peering at a computer screen, “supporting” players who I don’t even know or recognise. Just want to survive this season in more ways than one and hopefully return with the same passion next season.

I feel the same way. Sure we ain’t the only ones. Seeing my season ticket money as a gift to the club since I have given up on the camera system entirely. Who knows maybe we will see the team live at the end of the season. Anything is possible from season abandoned to supporters in the ground in April or so. Fingers crossed

20 hours ago, Neilly said:

A token three points against a pub team. Nothing to write home about really but got the job done.

We were below par, you will get away with it against thurds and Albion Rovers but against proper sides that wouldn't ge good enough.

Stranraer will be a real test next week for sure.

Tediously predictable. 

I have respect for you still happy clapping at this stage. Four years of absolute brutality on the pitch and now have a side that is on par with the old Shire sides in the tenner a week days.

It takes a strong farmer to keep on cultivating at this stage. I doth my cap to you sir.

9 hours ago, Neilly said:

I have respect for you still happy clapping at this stage. Four years of absolute brutality on the pitch and now have a side that is on par with the old Shire sides in the tenner a week days.

It takes a strong farmer to keep on cultivating at this stage. I doth my cap to you sir.

Is that not what supporting your club is all about ? 

I have witnessed the fortunes of Brechin going virtually full circle. As a boy I watched us struggle with Farfar each season to avoid bottom spot in the bottom league. I watched us then improve gradually to a stage where we expected to maintain League one status at the very minimum.  Possibly complacency has led us to our current position , but with the work currently going on behind the scenes , I am confident we will not let the club wander into the abyss .

Success comes in many forms . Maintaining league status  this season will feel like a league win such is our current predicament. Who knows what will transpire from there . It has been done before , we all live in hope.