Games That Never Were

HibeeJibee

9 minutes ago, sfha said:

Two press reports  I've  seen actually make no mention of the tie being abandoned. The SFHA page I made on the competition was taken from an old SFH issue which had listed the results and I'm sure an old AFS Report also previously gave all the results as well so I'll take a look. 

FCHD + RSSSF also say abandoned.

It also fits because away goals weren't used in Texaco/Anglo-Scottish Cup e.g.

1978-79 QF ... Partick 1-0 Mansfield, Mansfield 3-2 Partick ... went to extra-time and penalties
1978-79 SF ... Mansfield 1-2 Burnley, Burnley 0-1 Mansfield ... went to extra-time and penalties

1979-80 QF ... St Mirren 4-2 Bolton, Bolton 2-0 St Mirren ... went to extra-time (St Mirren scored and won 5-4)

As I thought, the SFH article only gave results. I don't have an index for the AFS Reports so this is a no goer at the moment! 

Does anyone have a copy of the Kilmarnock history to hand?

Edited by sfha

50 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

FCHD + RSSSF also say abandoned.

The RSSSF page was created in 2007 and according to my notes that is where I sourced the match dates and also the note about the tie being abandoned. But where did THEY get that info from?

Edited by sfha

Just in from Gordon

From Killie ken fanzine number 13 from October 1989 . There is a match report printed that mentions "the referee Tom Kellock wanted extra time to be played but Dundee boss Tommy Gemmell waved his men off the field as victors by virtue of away goals rule. He was dead right. " 

From that it appears no extra time was played

Few more randoms:

Rangers v Hamilton Academical (1941-42 Summer Cup R1 2nd leg)... not played as Hamilton lost 1st leg 7-1 at home and tie was beyond all hope

Rangers B v Aberdeen B (1952-53 C Division Cup Final 1st leg)... not played on May 14th and 2nd leg finished 1-1, trophy shared

Rangers B v Partick Thistle B (1953-54 C Division Cup Final)... not played as Rangers left to tour Canada, held-over and competition later abandoned

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/12/2020 at 16:19, HibeeJibee said:

Well something doesn't add-up: as noted there were other ties that season and previous season when someone had more away goals but it still went to extra-time (and indeed penalties).

I looked into this a wee while ago, and came to the conclusion that perhaps there were different rules for the 1st Round where Scottish and English clubs played separately, and the subsequent rounds. This made sense because all the other instances of games going to extra time when it was level on aggregate were from the quarter-final stage onwards. It also wouldn't be suprising to have different rules given that England used a group stage while we had two-legged ties, implying that each country perhaps had some autonomy over that part of the competition.

The St. Mirren v Bolton tie would have seen Bolton through on away goals had Jimmy Bone not scored as away goals counted only after ET had been played. 

In the 87-88 season Cup holders St. Mirren and Coventry arranged to play an Anglo-Scottish Challenge over 2 legs. There was a 1-1 at Highfield Rd but the return leg was never played.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1987&GameID=198712220

The previous occasion Saints took part in a "British Cup Winners Challenge" was 59-60 when we beat English Cup holders Nottingham Forest 5-4 on agg.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1959&GameID=195909230

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1959&GameID=195909300

On 04/12/2020 at 23:22, tamthebam said:

When RAF Kinloss and RAF Lossiemouth played in the North Juniors I think one or both scratched from the Junior Cup on a couple of occasions- something to do with the availability of Air Force personnel.

On 05/12/2020 at 13:06, HibeeJibee said:

Not first class games but you're correct. Infact my recollection includes an occasion when an oft-postponed tie ran into Christmas holidays, couldn't raise a team, but was refused a delay.

On 05/12/2020 at 22:32, WilliamBragg said:

Correct it was against Kilbirnie and was to be played on Christmas Eve.

RAF boys understandably couldn't get down and were thrown out cup.

To be fair to Kilbirnie from what I remember they were willing to delay the tie to the New Year.

I'm sure there was a bit of a scandal in about 2007 or 2008 as the SJFA kicked then out of the Junior Cup and banned them for the next season as they asked for a fixture delay since most of their squad had been deployed to Afghanistan.

• 1 year later...

Some other offerings and comments:

Re: 1894-95 (SL2) Renton v Dundee Wanderers. This match was down for September 29th. Renton had already arranged a lucrative match with Queen's Park earlier in the season for this date and had wanted the Wanderers' game rearranged, which didn't happen. The Wanderers were thus awarded the two points for Renton not fulfilling the league fixture.

1895-96 (SL2) Nov 16th - Motherwell v Kilmarnock - abandoned after 75mins due to bad light.
2-4 result allowed to stand. Note it was was played on the same day as the abandoned-result-allowed-to-stand Partick match.

Re: 1919-20 (SL) Celtic v Dundee - 1-1 result probably allowed to stand as no replay outcome could have affected either team's final league position.

1900-01 (SL2) Hamilton Acad. and Leith Athletic  - were fixed for a re-election play-off match to decide the bottom three league places, but the SFA declined to extend the season to allow it to be played. Both clubs therefore had to apply for re-election along with Motherwell.

1902-03 (SL2) Apr 11th - Hamilton Acad. v Arthurlie - was a void match due to the non-appearance of the referee, yet the result was included in many newspaper league standings. The game proper was played on May 15th.

1906-07 (SL2) Feb 16th - Abercorn v Ayr - abandoned after 78 mins due to bad weather. 1-1 result allowed to stand.

1910-11 (SL2) Nov 12th - Port Glasgow Athletic v Abercorn - abandoned after 80 mins due to fog. 2-3 result allowed to stand.

1914-15 (SL2) Jan 16th - St Johnstone v Cowdenbeath - switched to Cowdenbeath as the Perth ground was unplayable. The League didn't recognise this as an official match so it was ordered to be played again.

1914-15 (SL2) Feb 27th - Lochgelly Utd v East Stirlingshire - abandoned after 77 mins due to snow. 6-1 result allowed to stand.

1934-35 (SL1) Mar 9th - Ayr United v Falkirk - Ayr's Russell refused to play in the match which was won by Falkirk 3-2. It was subsequently found that he had been bribed by Falkirk not to take part, so the match was ordered to be replayed - Ayr winning 3-1.

1996-97 (SL1) Nov 23rd - Falkirk v St Mirren - ordered to be replayed due to playing of ineligible player John Clark

The best, IMHO, is in the 1893-94 Scottish Cup. Our Boys and East End had amalgamated in June 1893 to form Dundee, yet the First Round draw produced:
  Dundee v East End
  Our Boys bye

The Second Round was no better:
  Our Boys v Arbroath
  Strathmore v Dundee

Arbroath of course got a walkover, whilst a Dundee 'A' side lost to Strathmore (Dundee) the same day their first team
was playing a League match at St Mirren.

I guess this kind of fits... What happens to the games in the Premier Sports Cup that have since been awarded as 3-0 wins.

If you take Stranraer v Forfar, it would seem to make sense that all goalscorers/appearances/bookings/sendings off are just cancelled/deleted but is it as straight forward as this?

7 hours ago, TAFKAC said:

I guess this kind of fits... What happens to the games in the Premier Sports Cup that have since been awarded as 3-0 wins.

If you take Stranraer v Forfar, it would seem to make sense that all goalscorers/appearances/bookings/sendings off are just cancelled/deleted but is it as straight forward as this?

I wonder what happens to players goal bonuses in this scenario. Seems unfair to dock the Forfar scorers, for example. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 03/12/2020 at 21:03, HibeeJibee said:

Morton v Hearts (SFL 1915-16)... postponed by snowstorm on March 27th, but not rescheduled due to the war emergency. Apparently the only Scottish League game neither to be played or awarded.

The date I have for this game is 25th March - the 27th was a Monday.