Crusader Kings 3

madwullie

Apologies if there's already a topic on this, had a scan through the first few pages and couldn't see one,

Just been reading a few reviews of this. In terms of Paradox games, the only one I've played is Europa Universalis. This looks a lot of fun - maybe a bit of a time sink, but in these coronavirus days that's more of a good than a bad thing I think. Found EU extremely difficult to get to grips with, but pretty rewarding when I did.

42 notes is a fair amount to shell out, especially considering I'll be getting Cyberpunk in the next couple of weeks. But, Fifa 21 looks gash, so I'll be swerving getting a PS5 for now, meaning I've a bit more disposable than I thought I'd have.

So yeah, tl:rd - anyone got this? Any good?

I've got it. Played a lot of CK2 and a fair bit of CK3.

I have no doubt that CK3 will become a good game, but it needs a fair bit of work from Paradox to get it there. CK2 really came into its element once the DLC's and the mods started to come out. CK3 has a greater potential than CK2 because there's so much more to it, but there are parts of the game that are way too OP and the starting challenges are too limited for me. If I was buying it again I'd hold off until more DLC's and mods are released for it.

I also found EU tough to get to grips with, I never really got into it. But Crusader Kings is much easier to get into (though still needs a bit of patience - I'd recommend watching a few Let's Play's on YouTube to learn the mechanics).

If I was you, I'd hold off on CK3 and spend my money on CK2 with some DLC. But that's just my opinion.

I found the UI in 2 much easier to figure out. These games are always going to be initially impenetrable and this game's tutorial is really good but it still hasn't clicked for me. Agree with G51 that once the DLCs come out it'll really kick into gear.

Man, I really wish I understood Hearts of Iron though. The mods for that game are really good.

47 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Ah f**k, I just bought it. 25 notes on CD keys so not as much of a stretch. Thanks for the reply though man 👍 

It's still a decent game mate, and you'll get 4/5 proper campaigns out of it and enjoy them. But with CK2 there were absolutely loads of different things you could do with it and CK3 just hasn't been around long enough to have that flexibility yet.

56 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I found the UI in 2 much easier to figure out. These games are always going to be initially impenetrable and this game's tutorial is really good but it still hasn't clicked for me. Agree with G51 that once the DLCs come out it'll really kick into gear.

Man, I really wish I understood Hearts of Iron though. The mods for that game are really good.

Those are the kinds of games (eu, HoI etc) I'd have poured hours upon hours into back in the responsibility free days had they been about. Sadly I just dong have the spare time anymore to have a proper go at them. Still, going to give it a fucking good shot with this ck3

16 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Those are the kinds of games (eu, HoI etc) I'd have poured hours upon hours into back in the responsibility free days had they been about. Sadly I just dong have the spare time anymore to have a proper go at them. Still, going to give it a fucking good shot with this ck3

I play it occasionally with a friend of mine in Inverness and it's fun to see the absolute nonsense you can end up doing. My mate got drunk and accidentally assented to being imprisoned by his liege twice in five years.

On 03/12/2020 at 13:54, madwullie said:

I've got the free time these days but I don't have the attention span any more.  I agree with previous posters that, at this stage, CK2 with some DLCs is a better bet.

Decided to continue the tutorial as Scottish starts had too much to micro manage for my feeble brain. 

Was going great guns. Had liberated most of the south of Ireland and was fabricating  claim on leinster. Just as I succeeded, leinster converted to some other Christian denomination. Took the causus belli of the claim to start a war and take the county. Put them down with ease, and captured their leader and his son

Because they were both heathens I decided to execute them both. Hadn't noticed that Dublin and Wales had converted too. No issue as I had a 1.5k string army. Marched up to Dublin ready to execute another heathen in the name of the pope, only for 1.2k soldiers to sally forth from there. Actual pyrrhic victory, my army reduced to 100 or so soldiers. Just ax the battle ended, 2k angry welshmen landed in leinster. Game over. Brilliant stuff 

I was two years off making it so my first son would inherit everything and died. 200gold from being king or Ireland too. Extremely brutal war of succession and now my new player (awful stats, constantly stressed out his nut) is finally king of Ireland. Just need to stay alive till I can hand it all off to my 3 year old grandson (and keep him alive to receive)... 

But oh dear cyberpunk is out today. 

Genuinely wasted 4 years of gaming life playing nothing but fifa 😫

Constantly amazed by this game. Its actually kept me off cyberpunk this past week

King wullie of navara. Kicked off turn one marrying off b*****d eldest to the Princess of France and my daughter  to the HRE dynasty scoring two v v tasty alliances. Also got a marriage to castile mensing I'm in a strong position for a weak Spanish c**t. First moves kicked f**k out of the Muslim nation  next to me taking zaragoza. Plan was to settle the f**k down and manage my kingdom with intrigue and diplomacy no wars for a while.

HRE next month asked me to come in and help them in a war where c***s were trying to get their independence. Needed them onside so had to go for it. Extremely long war where I wandered about Italy sacking and looting c***s who were against him. Took a f**k load of prisoners.

I had the intrigue life focus so a tasty bonus when torturing prisoners. 

War ended, finally got a chance to settle down with my kingdom and do some peacetime building. Only real issue was that I have the honest trait which means I get stressed when jailing etc. Not great for the intrigue lifestyle but f**k it.

Noticed I still had all the prisoners from the HRE war, so decided to torture them, for the bonus and to potentially get secrets I could use in the future. Turns out you can't go proper iron maiden with the honest trait. Got so stressed from torturing that I died at 35.

All alliances now gone, all young family married off apart form new king  who is 4 years old and on the throne. Bastaaaaaaard

Edited by madwullie

Constantly amazed by this game. Its actually kept me off cyberpunk this past week
King wullie of navara. Kicked off turn one marrying off b*****d eldest to the Princess of France and my daughter  to the HRE dynasty scoring two v v tasty alliances. Also got a marriage to castile mensing I'm in a strong position for a weak Spanish c**t. First moves kicked f**k out of the Muslim nation  next to me taking zaragoza. Plan was to settle the f**k down and manage my kingdom with intrigue and diplomacy no wars for a while.
HRE next month asked me to come in and help them in a war where c***s were trying to get their independence. Needed them onside so had to go for it. Extremely long war where I wandered about Italy sacking and looting c***s who were against him. Took a f**k load of prisoners.
I had the intrigue life focus so a tasty bonus when torturing prisoners. 
War ended, finally got a chance to settle down with my kingdom and do some peacetime building. Only real issue was that I have the honest trait which means I get stressed when jailing etc. Not great for the intrigue lifestyle but f**k it.
Noticed I still had all the prisoners from the HRE war, so decided to torture them, for the bonus and to potentially get secrets I could use in the future. Turns out you can't go proper iron maiden with the honest trait. Got so stressed from torturing that I died at 35.
All alliances now gone, all young family married off apart form new king  who is 4 years old and on the throne. Bastaaaaaaard

You’re always on to a winner when you ally with the HRE. Them or the Byzantines and you’re laughing.

Aye only slight issue is it takes them so long to get to me in Spain. 

I've taken to renaming close family mainly just to help keep track of the names and who is who etc. My eldest (8) was watching last night and I was trying to work out why he wasn't first in line, hovered over the trait b*****d. Ah. He was like Dad what's a b*****d? Does that mean I'm cheeky. Aye son. 

5 minutes later he's still watching (should have taken that as a warning) and an event pops up. Turns out hes shagging his own maw. Managed to get him out the room I think before he digested what it had said but it was a close one. 

Edited by madwullie

• 3 weeks later...

Started a game as Galician King. 8 months in and my brother in Castille had killed the Leonese King, 8 months later I'd killed him and owned the entire North and North West of iberia. 

I'd United Spain by 1068 - that was meant to be my long term goal 🤦‍♂️ 

Now I'm bawdeep in a holy war started by my bro just before I offed him. Never had as many armies as this. Next to no idea what I'm doing

Edited by madwullie