Livingston vs Dundee Utd

30 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

We have a very tough fixture list in December and this was one of the few games we could have got something.

I didn’t mind us starting five at the back, horrendous though it is in terms of football, but the the first (and only) substitution was a joke.  Appere or Robson on, Reynolds off would have been the right option.

Anyway, I’m away down the pub to drown my sorrows.

I can't be arsed doing any research but I'd be willing to bet no team in the league has made as few substitutions as us. Brechin apart, have we ever used all five in a game?

6 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I can't be arsed doing any research but I'd be willing to bet no team in the league has made as few substitutions as us. Brechin apart, have we ever used all five in a game?

Why change things when they’re shite? 

I think Mellon's a pragmatist. He changed the approach when we started shipping too many goals; we stopped shipping goals and started climbing the league and so he stuck with that approach. Performances were painful to watch but the results were decent. If the results drop off then there will be no reason to continue with this horrible anti-football.  He's never going to change it while the approach is "working". Unless I've misjudged him and this is how he thinks football should be played. Surely not though. Surely nobody thinks this is how football should be played.

In all my time watching United, going back to the early 80s, I've seen some good teams and plenty of mediocre or poor teams but I've never seen such a negative team. It's really awful. I can handle players being shite so long as they are doing their best and the team are trying to win but watching players (some pretty decent) doing this is absolutely soul destroying. We've got some decent players (and some notably less than decent players, granted); just let them play, ffs.

Only watched the highlights, but Poplatnik's layoff to Pittman for the goal was impressive. The Jet/Matej swap has been the most important change of the last 2 games and it's worked a treat.
Agreed. I've been very impressed with Matty in the last two games.

On 05/12/2020 at 17:00, Dundee Hibernian said:

Think you're overrating that achievement, given we rarely have a shot on target in any game.

Easily deserved win for Livingston though.

The thing that gets me though is both Shankland and McNulty could pretty much walk into most of the other premiership sides and there's a couple that would bite your hand off to get hold of them; so why were they so toothless.

With my Livi-tinted specs on I could say it was because our defence did such a good job in marshalling them, and in may ways I suppose they did although there were a couple of flutter moment. However, from the casual observer, it did seem their service was sporadic and, more often than not, the quality of the through ball ended up miles from the intended recipient.

Surely though this is simply a matter of training and tactics? Still I suppose every team has an off-day.

2 hours ago, Durnford said:

The thing that gets me though is both Shankland and McNulty could pretty much walk into most of the other premiership sides and there's a couple that would bite your hand off to get hold of them; so why were they so toothless.

With my Livi-tinted specs on I could say it was because our defence did such a good job in marshalling them, and in may ways I suppose they did although there were a couple of flutter moment. However, from the casual observer, it did seem their service was sporadic and, more often than not, the quality of the through ball ended up miles from the intended recipient.

Surely though this is simply a matter of training and tactics? Still I suppose every team has an off-day.

No, not at all. United have hardly registered a shot on target all season. Away back in August, 19  shots with only one on target was recorded by the BBC statistics in a 4-0 defeat to Kilmarnock. The previous week it was 1 shot on target against Celtic (7 shots). After Rugby Park we had 1 on Target at Ibrox (6 shots).

It's been the pattern to the season, apart from the freak 19 shots in the Kilmarnock loss.

After these three losses, Mellon seemed to decide we'd build on the defence by adding bodies in there. Saturday's two on target, both in the last few minutes, might indicate that we should attempt to go forward more.