Local team / glory hunting, etc. and so on

7 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

One thing I will say that I absolutely hate is when Celtic or Rangers fans say to me "I support Celtic/Rangers, but I do look out for Motherwell as they're the local team". Either support us, or f**k off mate.

I fucking hate that too.  Why 'look out for the results' of a team you don't support?  A few the folk I know give it the 'aww I like to see Caley do well'.  Well why don't you support them then, you fat gimp.

7 hours ago, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

Growing up in Hamilton and seeing the packed trains/buses leaving for The Old Firm is enough to make one weep as our club would kill to have these people support us.

I went to one of the biggest schools in Scotland-Holy Cross and got in a few arguments with Teachers(this was 1979-83)about why I supported the Accies and not *the cause".There is a helluva lot of peer pressure on West of Scotland Catholics to support Celtic and those who don't have to have a thick skin to stand up to the abuse and ridicule.

Peer pressure and glory hunting added to "90 minute bigotry" for me are the main reasons why The Old Firm capture most of the football support up here.Your Dad being a Rangers man/a Celtic man less so but nonetheless a factor.

However,there are a helluva  lot of people who local clubs could attract-namely the folk who like football, but don't want to support The Old Firm and all our clubs have an untapped market here.

That European run by the wonderful Accies youth team of a few years ago witnessed twice the home support at these than SPL games and my club did nothing ...nada to encourage these people back.

Sadly it will never change and if anything,the more exposure these days for The Old Firm across all media will hoover up plenty who are ditherers.Easier to go with the  crowd   for guaranteed success than taking the hard option, which is why I have a lot of admiration for those fans-particularly in the poisonous West of Scotland- who go against the herd instinct.

Finally,G51 Red on here lives a Peter McCloy kick out from Ibrox Park and has brought his boys up to be great Accies men.I doff  my cap at him for his stubbornness lol.

Cheers , m74 ....

I’m Hamilton born and bred ..but have stayed in the G51 area for 30+ years..

Only ever one team for me ( although my Papa was a big Rangers man and because if this my Da followed Rangers when he was younger , but took me and my young brother to Douglas Park ) so , I took my kids ,  ( two boys and my oldest daughter are Accies through and through  , my younger daughter isn’t really into football ( yet !! ) , to see Accies . 

Don’t support our local team , but nobody could ever describe us as glory hunters ...

I used to go past Hamilton on the train on the way to games when I was young, so I am a total Glory Hunter and can't be sanctimonious on this thread unfortunately :)

For all that we all moan about buses leaving Motherwell/Paisley/Kilmarnock, etc every weekend to go to Rangers and Celtic games, I wonder how good a marketing tool the OF has been for West of Scotland diddy clubs. The whole horrible circus that surrounds the OF and the negative perceptions that a lot of people have as a result has allowed clubs like Motherwell to define themselves as the alternative/community club/family club etc. 

I'm not for a minute saying that it's a net positive because the fact that a large proportion of die hard football fans in your area f**k off somewhere else every week obviously has a negative effect but I think it can be helpful in some ways too (especially if you are targeting families/kids). A lot of diddy club supporters, especially in the West would probably admit that being "not an OF supporter" is an important part of their identity (and probably something they are proud of).

14 minutes ago, AJF said:

I never said it was a topic that doesn't interest me, I've not said I'm not bothered about it - you've just assumed that I require some sort of approval from a group of strangers about the team I follow. 

Good man. It's just the vibe you're giving off then.

2 hours ago, The Other Foot said:

Nope, 5 pages of back-and-forth drivel. The correct answer is that OF fans are glory hunters, and shouldn't be allowed outside of Glasgow.

Supporting the team your dad supports? Do you shag the same woman too?! 

Does this apply equally to the plethora of Hibs and Hearts fans you find outside of Edinburgh? Or is it just an issue with OF Fans because they've been more successful?

I grew up in Inverness. My genuinely beloved uncle is a massive Rangers man and as a 7 year old, I sort of kinda made the first tentative footsteps along his path.

Then Rangers and Celtic humiliated themselves again in the 1980 cup final and, (I remember this as clear as day), my Penilee born and bred Dad, who cordially disliked football his entire life, sat me down and said "I don't mind if you follow a football team, but you must not support either of those particular two tribes, because..." and went on to explain a lot to me.

So I shrugged and went "Ok, I was born in Falkirk so I'll support them then!" Then I looked at the league table! 😄 Part time and in the third tier (although admittedly we had just won it although I didn't know that at the time).

As I grew up I started watching Inverness Thistle until we moved further south and I could sensibly get the train to Falkirk on my own (i.e. about 16.)

So fathers' influences are indeed important - just mine was a "negative" one from the usual, but a very positive one from my point of view.

I have often wondered what I would have done if we'd have stayed in Inverness post merger - would I have gone along to watch The Thistle? Probably, aye. But I would never have "supported" them. It would have been very much a leisure activity. I would have been happy for my son and daughter to support them though. As it is my lass is very much a Bairn despite growing up in #Perthshire, and my son went through a DUFC phase but is now exhibiting more Bairn-like tendencies, which is both pleasing, and more evidence that a dad's i.e. mine, influence is important even though I have always been happy to let them choose (barring 2 exceptions).

1 minute ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I grew up in Inverness. My genuinely beloved uncle is a massive Rangers man and as a 7 year old, I sort of kinda made the first tentative footsteps along his path.

Then Rangers and Celtic humiliated themselves again in the 1980 cup final and, (I remember this as clear as day), my Penilee born and bred Dad, who cordially disliked football his entire life, sat me down and said "I don't mind if you follow a football team, but you must not support either of those particular two tribes, because..." and went on to explain a lot to me.

So I shrugged and went "Ok, I was born in Falkirk so I'll support them then!" Then I looked at the league table! 😄 Part time and in the third tier (although admittedly we had just won it although I didn't know that at the time).

As I grew up I started watching Inverness Thistle until we moved further south and I could sensibly get the train to Falkirk on my own (i.e. about 16.)

So fathers' influences are indeed important - just mine was a "negative" one from the usual, but a very positive one from my point of view.

I have often wondered what I would have done if we'd have stayed in Inverness post merger - would I have gone along to watch The Thistle? Probably, aye. But I would never have "supported" them. It would have been very much a leisure activity. I would have been happy for my son and daughter to support them though. As it is my lass is very much a Bairn despite growing up in #Perthshire, and my son went through a DUFC phase but is now exhibiting more Bairn-like tendencies, which is both pleasing, and more evidence that a dad's i.e. mine, influence is important even though I have always been happy to let them choose (barring 2 exceptions).

Sounds like you're from the good side of the river.

27 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Hate to destroy your illusions, although I've not got a Wolfetones CD collection, I am probably just what you describe. A catholic from Wishaw, who has had a season ticket at Motherwell since I was seven.

Both my grandfathers were big Celtic men, but fortunately with my Dad being one of seven growing up in the 50s/60s, my Granda would hardly have been able to afford to take all of his kids to Celtic Park on a Saturday, so my dad, his brother and sister used their pocket money to go to Fir Park. My Dad and my Aunt now have their concession season tickets together still after all these years.

I knew from an early age that I was a Motherwell fan and despite going to both a primary and high school that was 99% supported by Celtic, I never even came close to bowing to peer pressure. I think the thing that was different from me and the rest of the people at school was that I actually went to the football with my Dad, whereas all the Celtic fans knew football only as a TV show. The first season I had a season ticket was 1997/98, so whilst most of my classmates were celebrating "stopping the ten" from their armchairs, I still got a bit of one-upmanship by the fact that I actually attended our games in the flesh.

Even at high school, Motherwell fans were rare exceptions. I think I can only count myself and two others from my year at school off the top of my head and there was only a scattering across the school as a whole. I was mascot for Motherwell when I was 8 with a guy a couple of years above me, who now claims to have always been a big Celtic man. I do take great joy in forwarding the photos to his mates when the periodic request comes in.

From those I know who went to school in Motherwell itself, rather than Wishaw, there appears to be more 'Well fans than in Wishaw, but still there's an overwhelming majority to the Old Firm. I think there are quite a few teams like Motherwell, Kilmarnock and St. Mirren who do really suffer from being a commutable distance from Celtic Park and Ibrox.

One thing I will say that I absolutely hate is when Celtic or Rangers fans say to me "I support Celtic/Rangers, but I do look out for Motherwell as they're the local team". Either support us, or f**k off mate.

Your bottom line is getting rarer as time goes on

I'm finding they hate the local team more than their rival

To them only 2 teams exist you're one or the other

Never the fitba other issues determine your team especially since 2014

Just now, TheScarf said:

I'm a Drakies man myself.

Remember playing Drakies in school football matches. I actually got a trial for The Caley but got nowhere. The best player in our U16 league by miles, I mean MILES, was called Karl MacKay, and he got signed by them but never made it past "promising youngster/occasional sub" status. Was a lesson to me that even the Highland League of all places is a pretty decent standard.

5 minutes ago, Uncle Scan said:

Your bottom line is getting rarer as time goes on

I'm finding they hate the local team more than their rival

To them only 2 teams exist you're one or the other

Never the fitba other issues determine your team especially since 2014

Tbf, I'm absolutely fine with that. It makes the rare result you get against them even sweeter when the local glory hunters froth at the mouth about how much they hate you.

1 minute ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Remember playing Drakies in school football matches. I actually got a trial for The Caley but got nowhere. The best player in our U16 league by miles, I mean MILES, was called Karl MacKay, and he got signed by them but never made it past "promising youngster/occasional sub" status. Was a lesson to me that even the Highland League of all places is a pretty decent standard.

Oh aye, there's boys who played in the HL who are my age and they stood out like a sore thumb at school/youth league.   They never made it past HL level and I thought they were unplayable when I played against them. 😂

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

For my tuppenceworth, being brought up on the fringes of Paisley to Edinburgh born parents who didn’t follow football I suppose my choice was St Mirren or Rangers. Can’t remember exactly why - but given this was late 70s it certainly wasn’t for glory hunting - my team was Rangers.

Rangers won the league 3 times in the late 70's including two trebles. From 1975 to 1985 they won over a dozen trophies.

You're a glory hunter, just admit it and be at peace with it, you won't feel the need to get so defensive on the internet after that.

The team your Dad supported is an interesting one for me.

My late Dad grew up in Glasgow, was ex Royal Navy and very much a GSTQ Rangers man. As soon as I was old enough, he took me to Tannadice, as in his opinion, I should support my local team. He switched his allegiance to United as that was "my" team. That seems more logical to me, than supporting a far away team that I have absolutely no allegiance to.

14 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Tbf, I'm absolutely fine with that. It makes the rare result you get against them even sweeter when the local glory hunters froth at the mouth about how much they hate you.

It's great when it happens

They think you're only beating them to help the other side

45 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Hate to destroy your illusions, although I've not got a Wolfetones CD collection, I am probably just what you describe. A catholic from Wishaw, who has had a season ticket at Motherwell since I was seven.

Both my grandfathers were big Celtic men, but fortunately with my Dad being one of seven growing up in the 50s/60s, my Granda would hardly have been able to afford to take all of his kids to Celtic Park on a Saturday, so my dad, his brother and sister used their pocket money to go to Fir Park. My Dad and my Aunt now have their concession season tickets together still after all these years.

I knew from an early age that I was a Motherwell fan and despite going to both a primary and high school that was 99% supported by Celtic, I never even came close to bowing to peer pressure. I think the thing that was different from me and the rest of the people at school was that I actually went to the football with my Dad, whereas all the Celtic fans knew football only as a TV show. The first season I had a season ticket was 1997/98, so whilst most of my classmates were celebrating "stopping the ten" from their armchairs, I still got a bit of one-upmanship by the fact that I actually attended our games in the flesh.

Even at high school, Motherwell fans were rare exceptions. I think I can only count myself and two others from my year at school off the top of my head and there was only a scattering across the school as a whole. I was mascot for Motherwell when I was 8 with a guy a couple of years above me, who now claims to have always been a big Celtic man. I do take great joy in forwarding the photos to his mates when the periodic request comes in.

From those I know who went to school in Motherwell itself, rather than Wishaw, there appears to be more 'Well fans than in Wishaw, but still there's an overwhelming majority to the Old Firm. I think there are quite a few teams like Motherwell, Kilmarnock and St. Mirren who do really suffer from being a commutable distance from Celtic Park and Ibrox.

good for you, but even you yourself know its rare, and i'm 99% sure you've heard the ''H*ns wae nae bus fare'' line more than once, i really don't care how anyone came to support their team, i know a few Well fans  who live in a town with OF support buses, and more power to them, but its just a nonsense how it would seem fans of Falkirk or Morton or Caley to name just 3, think they're somehow better than someone they see as a ''glory hunter'' 

and i'll see your ''i look out for their score because they're my local team'' and i'll raise you with a ''aye but who do you really support'' .........''naw but c'mon when ''they'' play each other, you must want one to win'' i've had that millions of times.