Local team / glory hunting, etc. and so on

Some genuinely insightful and intelligent posts on this thread that I'm afraid i'm going to have to ignore on a purely ad huninem basis because they don't confirm my biases and are clearly excuses for glory hunting.  

My Grandad was a Rangers man from Fife, in a family of Rangers men in a community of Rangers men with the lodge playing a big part in their lives. 

He "had enough of all that nonsense" and pretty much recanted. He always told me he was an East Fife fan. My Dad never really had a team. I think he prefers rugby. 

But he took me to Pittodrie when we moved to a commuter dormitory town on the A90 in the early 80s and kept taking me. 

But Aberdeen weren't my local team. We had to drive past cove and banks o dee to get there. It seems a bit arbitrary to say that it's only senior/pro/ full time clubs that you can ignore.  So i guess i'm a glory hunter. Or at least was, unless you count 3rd and the league cup. 

50 minutes ago, AJF said:

The resident P&B Celtic fans can’t believe their luck. They’re getting off very lightly here! 

They won't get let off lightly next season when everyone in Scotland mocks them for blowing 10 in a row. I wonder if you can buy a season ticket in the away end. I'd like to go to Celtic park every game and mimic that pathetic 10 sign their fans have been doing to everyone for years. That'll be enough to set them off.  

Edited by MS RR

1 hour ago, Green Day said:

It was more than glib. 

Edinburgh City who were lowland league until about 2016 or something - until their recent renaissance the "City Club" as it was known was basically a drinking club on Elm Row............until someone paid the club a shitload of cash for the building iirc?

Back on topic, as @Monkey Tenniscorrectly notes above - this is a hell of a lot simpler than many would (prefer to) think.

I used to work alongside a lot of Celtic and Rangers "supporters" most of whom couldnt find their way to the grounds with a sat nav.

I have respect for anyone supporting a wee club from a small town with very fucking long !! odds on winning anything.

The club was sold because the boilers were fucked, there wasn't any disabled access and the Council fitted a noise limiter because (ironically) the student flat upstairs complained about the noise- even the pensioners' bingo was too loud apparently.

The Loch Inn at the back of Easter Road was purchased as a new club premises, done up, and Hibees (or anyone) are welcome to spend their cash in there before matches. Please..

Because the football section was defunct between 1955 and 1986 the members were a mixture of Hibees and Jambos and this remains the case on the whole. We City fans were seen as eccentric loonies by the club members 😂

For once I share the consensus view. I have no time for glory hunters.  @MS RR  made a great point earlier - if someone's dad came from Peterhead, but they were raised in Glasgow, does anyone really believe they'd adopt Peterhead as their club? 

I know at least two Partick Thistle supporters who grew up supporting one of the Old Firm, but later adopted Thistle - one was ashamed of what they perceived as rank bigotry, and the other of the ridiculous gulf in resources between the Old Firm and the rest. Aye, loyalty to one's team is honourable, but there's a certain honour in admitting that you've made a mistake and that you no longer want to fund the Cheeks and will instead back Thistle or Queens Park. Certainly you can raise your kids to follow one of them. :)

Edited by Ralstonite

My Grandad came from Aberdeenshire but he must have been a Jambo having moved to Edinburgh because my Granny once mentioned he thought Willie Bauld was a great player. Anyway he died before I was born and my dad wasn't into football (his local team would have been East Fife)

I wasn't really into football as a boy either but as I had lived in the town I used to follow Arbroath's results in the paper. They were mostly shite in the 1980s so it was the opposite of glory hunting 

My peers at school were mostly Jambos but the first game I went to was with a Hibee mate. Perverse curiousity made me go to Meadowbank one day and I followed them because they seemed a friendly bunch and the admission was cheaper than Hibs (tight b*****d me). After, to my mind, Meadowbank's demise a pal from Thistle days got involved with Edinburgh City so that's the team I've watched for the longest time.

The OF fans I've known in Edinburgh had some connection with Glasgow e.g. their Dad supported Rangers and he came from Govan rather than being glory hunters. The only one I ever met that was based on religion was a Celtic fan from NI.

Btw should I ever live there what's the NI equivalent of Partick Thistle?

Growing up in Hamilton and seeing the packed trains/buses leaving for The Old Firm is enough to make one weep as our club would kill to have these people support us.

I went to one of the biggest schools in Scotland-Holy Cross and got in a few arguments with Teachers(this was 1979-83)about why I supported the Accies and not *the cause".There is a helluva lot of peer pressure on West of Scotland Catholics to support Celtic and those who don't have to have a thick skin to stand up to the abuse and ridicule.

Peer pressure and glory hunting added to "90 minute bigotry" for me are the main reasons why The Old Firm capture most of the football support up here.Your Dad being a Rangers man/a Celtic man less so but nonetheless a factor.

However,there are a helluva  lot of people who local clubs could attract-namely the folk who like football, but don't want to support The Old Firm and all our clubs have an untapped market here.

That European run by the wonderful Accies youth team of a few years ago witnessed twice the home support at these than SPL games and my club did nothing ...nada to encourage these people back.

Sadly it will never change and if anything,the more exposure these days for The Old Firm across all media will hoover up plenty who are ditherers.Easier to go with the  crowd   for guaranteed success than taking the hard option, which is why I have a lot of admiration for those fans-particularly in the poisonous West of Scotland- who go against the herd instinct.

Finally,G51 Red on here lives a Peter McCloy kick out from Ibrox Park and has brought his boys up to be great Accies men.I doff  my cap at him for his stubbornness lol.

Edited by Ye Olde Hamiltonian

I'm from East Kilbride and growing up could have got to EK Thistle, EKFC, Hamilton or Celtic far easier and quicker than Fir Park. My dad's a Rangers fan and I have no connection to Motherwell as a town.

I don't really give a f**k tbh, I felt pretty strongly and from a young age that Motherwell were intrinsically "my club" and nothing was going to change that. If some boy in Avoch or Irvine feels that sort of connection with Rangers or Celtic then fair fucks to them and I hope they enjoy their football rather than whipping out an Ordinance Survey Map to find out who their local team is to the nearest meter then spending the next 40 years arguing about it on the internet.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

If I should support my local club, which one should I support?  Livingston, Livingston United or Pumpherston Juniors? 

Alot of people by pass a lot of clubs to support their "local club".   Those from Edinburgh who support Hibs or Hearts are nit supporting local if they lived closer to Meadowbank, or wherever any of the EOS Edinburgh side's play.  

Edited by Antiochas III

6 hours ago, tamthebam said:

The OF fans I've known in Edinburgh had some connection with Glasgow e.g. their Dad supported Rangers and he came from Govan rather than being glory hunters. 

I'd see that as their excuse, rather than their reason.

As we know, people who support, say St Johnstone, on a similar basis are far far fewer, even proportionately.

The pursuit of that 'glory' remains key.

8 hours ago, coprolite said:

My Grandad was a Rangers man from Fife, in a family of Rangers men in a community of Rangers men with the lodge playing a big part in their lives. 

He "had enough of all that nonsense" and pretty much recanted. 

You see, they probably thought they had to be Rangers men as they were in the lodge and had leanings towards a certain religion, a band of brothers :lol:

it's the same with catholic schools,  not a great variety of teams supported by the brainwashed pupils in them.

"it's because my family are Irish ". Pish, your great great grandad was a c**t too then?

"I support them because my dad did" but you never go to the games pal?

it's like the "I vote labour because my dad and grandad did", they worked in a now defunct shipyard you stupid c**t, think for yourself you moron.

at least when the football is on we know where these morons congregate and we can avoid them like the plague. 

8 hours ago, AJF said:

That’s your view and I’ll respect it, but I don’t wholly agree with it.

As has already been pointed out, taking your kids to the football is quite an important thing in people’s lives and it sounds like it is to you too. But generally that’s easiest when both the parent and child support the same team. I don’t think my parent or anyone else’s parent should be judged for wanting to take their child to watch the same team they support.

This is a good point to raise to be fair. While I’ve always been a Rangers fan, my dad actually bought us a couple of season books for Livingston when I was younger. It lasted for a season but we would generally watch Rangers and buy tickets individually but then use our Livingston season books on days Rangers weren’t playing.

I’ve since been to a handful of Livingston games since but not very many since getting my own season book at Rangers when I was 16.

This post needs more "sinces" imho.

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

My Grandad came from Aberdeenshire but he must have been a Jambo having moved to Edinburgh because my Granny once mentioned he thought Willie Bauld was a great player. Anyway he died before I was born and my dad wasn't into football (his local team would have been East Fife)

I wasn't really into football as a boy either but as I had lived in the town I used to follow Arbroath's results in the paper. They were mostly shite in the 1980s so it was the opposite of glory hunting 

My peers at school were mostly Jambos but the first game I went to was with a Hibee mate. Perverse curiousity made me go to Meadowbank one day and I followed them because they seemed a friendly bunch and the admission was cheaper than Hibs (tight b*****d me). After, to my mind, Meadowbank's demise a pal from Thistle days got involved with Edinburgh City so that's the team I've watched for the longest time.

The OF fans I've known in Edinburgh had some connection with Glasgow e.g. their Dad supported Rangers and he came from Govan rather than being glory hunters. The only one I ever met that was based on religion was a Celtic fan from NI.

Btw should I ever live there what's the NI equivalent of Partick Thistle?

Probably Crusaders, but they've been quite successful, so maybe Distillery (who no longer play in Belfast, so they're maybe the equivalent of Clyde).

I’m not sure there are really any great reasons to decide to follow a team. I don’t think that supporting Hearts because my friends did, is better or worse than doing so because I lived in Edinburgh. Supporting the team your dad does is equally as valid as supporting a team because the ground is along the road from your house.

There are bad reasons to support a team though. Supporting teams because they win things is one of the worst, and anyone who claims some kind of superiority because their team is more successful than yours, tends to be lacking in their own lives and as they cannot feel any superiority there, they live it via their team.

I also think that becoming a fan because of a clubs or fan groups “identity” is a pretty bad reason. As well as Celtic & Rangers you can see it in clubs like Liverpool, Man U, Spurs a bit. Supporting a club ought to just be about supporting the team, buying into a team because of religion or politics and allowing that to continue to shape your views is pathetic. It often helps to continue to perpetuate hatred and bigotry and just ends up that those fans are there for almost any reason other than supporting the team itself.

Edited by Jambomo

3 hours ago, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

Growing up in Hamilton and seeing the packed trains/buses leaving for The Old Firm is enough to make one weep as our club would kill to have these people support us.

I went to one of the biggest schools in Scotland-Holy Cross and got in a few arguments with Teachers(this was 1979-83)about why I supported the Accies and not *the cause".There is a helluva lot of peer pressure on West of Scotland Catholics to support Celtic and those who don't have to have a thick skin to stand up to the abuse and ridicule.

Peer pressure and glory hunting added to "90 minute bigotry" for me are the main reasons why The Old Firm capture most of the football support up here.Your Dad being a Rangers man/a Celtic man less so but nonetheless a factor.

However,there are a helluva  lot of people who local clubs could attract-namely the folk who like football, but don't want to support The Old Firm and all our clubs have an untapped market here.

That European run by the wonderful Accies youth team of a few years ago witnessed twice the home support at these than SPL games and my club did nothing ...nada to encourage these people back.

Sadly it will never change and if anything,the more exposure these days for The Old Firm across all media will hoover up plenty who are ditherers.Easier to go with the  crowd   for guaranteed success than taking the hard option, which is why I have a lot of admiration for those fans-particularly in the poisonous West of Scotland- who go against the herd instinct.

Finally,G51 Red on here lives a Peter McCloy kick out from Ibrox Park and has brought his boys up to be great Accies men.I doff  my cap at him for his stubbornness lol.

I was brought up and educated in Aberdeen, and in our fifth year, I think, we had a temporary teacher from the west of Scotland, a Celtic supporter, who couldn't understand why the very few Roman Catholics in the school were Dons supporters.

I was taken to Glebe Park in the late 50s (we lived in Brechin at the time), but my father had to bring me home early. The first match I remember was Aberdeen v Falkirk in November 1963, we won 3-0, the following home match was a 6-2 win over Motherwell, and I was hooked. (Still have a soft spot for City out of all the Angus clubs, in descending order Brechin City (lived there 8 years), Forfar Athletic (born in Forfar), Montrose (lived there for a year) and Arbroath).

1964/65 I was a regular, went to reserve games, graduated to away games when I was old enough.

My folks moved to Elgin in 1968/69 I remained in Aberdeen to finish my education, whenever I went home I would have gone to Borough Briggs, Elgin became my Highland League side, still look out for their results. Also fetched up at Mosset Park, Grant Park and Station Park (Nairn) on occasion.

When I moved here I went to the Coleraine Showgrounds and became a regular home and away and even joined the supporters club, I was treasurer for a while.

I had a pen pal from Liverpool who was an Everton fan we used to swap programmes, always looked out for their results since 1966. I spent holidays in the Lake District so keep an eye out for the Cumbrian teams results particularly Carlisle.

The Dons are my priority of course, but with all those results to look out for it's little wonder my weekends are often ruined...