Local team / glory hunting, etc. and so on

1 minute ago, Gus Setsniffer said:

i know of bigots from down south who travel up to Ibrox, past teams much bigger than either the old firm, they could glory hunt Champions League wins but instead, with heart in hand, they  would rather watch tin pot shite in scotland.

I'm not saying bigotry+glory-hunting isn't a thing, just that they wouldn't bother if, instead of two historically successful teams, it was Brechin and Forfar, for example, who were the two 'bigot' clubs.

It’s up to people who they choose to support but OF fans generally fall into 5 categories.

1 From Glasgow - local team
2 Glory hunter - wants to see a team that wins, even if you started supporting Celtic in the 90s or Rangers during the current period you always knew they’d be back wining things soon enough as they always have, a few barren years is hardly following the Shire.
3 Bigot - there’s no denying that the OF attract most of the bigots in Scotland as they’ve promoted themselves as Catholic and Protestant for longer than anyone can remember.
4 Parent or Grandparent was from Glasgow and brought their children up to support Celtic / Rangers. Generally happens if they themselves were big fans especially if they start taking you with them to the ground.
5. From an area with no local SPFL team so had to pick one. Most of these also fall into 2, 3 and 4 as let’s be honest 90% chose these teams due to one of these reasons.

It’s your choice alone who you support and some will pick their local club and some don’t want to watch a team they see as poor there will always be banter about supporting your local team vs picking the Ugly sisters by diddy fans and as a collective we’ll celebrate any team doing one of the two over as the OF stranglehold has destroyed competition in our country.

56 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I'm not saying bigotry+glory-hunting isn't a thing, just that they wouldn't bother if, instead of two historically successful teams, it was Brechin and Forfar, for example, who were the two 'bigot' clubs.

i explained a good few pages back, the only glory hunters i knew as a kid were Alex Ferguson's Aberdeen and i don't even think we called those ex  Celtic or Rangers fans, Glory Hunters back then, being an OF fan just seemed to be all about religion, regardless how shite that team was, i seem to recall a Glory Hunter back in the 80's was being nowhere to be seen when Ibrox had a gate of around 5000 under Jock Wallace, to strutting about in your new rangers gear after being at Ibrox watching half the England team

Edited by Gus Setsniffer

Copied and pasted from a posting I made on a similar thread a year or so back on the locus of Aberdeen's fanbase and competing with/ or attracting glory hunters over the years....

Aberdeen City is mainly red, but there is a large incoming worker (and student) population - and if anything competing with English clubs for attention is a bigger problem these days than the (former) old firm. There are plenty in my work with north-east accents who will irritate me by going on about Spurs, Chelsea etc - but being little more than patronising or indifferent to their local club.

We still have a fair amount of Celtic sympathisers, because they went to St Josephs don't you know, or folk now in their 20s/early 30s who supported rangers because their halcyon EBT-assisted days coincided with the start of AFC's demise and they needed to seek what they felt was some kind of identity to make up for their genitalia not developing properly or whatever the reason.

Aberdeenshire contains as many, if not more, good dandies than the city with commuter towns like Ellon, Newmachar, Inverurie and Westhill being generally red, but the more southern facing places like Portlethen, Newtonhill and Stonehaven often being as much the settlement of choice for incoming ugly sister sympathisers, who need to get south faster.

The rural or traditional fishing parts of the mid to northern shire, such as Banff & Buchan stray more into traditional values where aligning with the church, and therefore following a Glasgow team becomes more common.

Central Belt  as mentioned earlier, a mixture of north-east diaspora (over a few generations) and some who saw us as a winning alternative to the sectarian uglies and kind of stuck with us.

Further afield  plenty of expat supporters, as you will find 'oilfield trash' in the usual clusters globally - namely the Middle East, Caspian, Houston, Calgary, Perth etc.......and a good squad, like most, in London.

Other places where we have strong representation are Inverness and Orkney as mentioned - met a coachload of very drunken Orcadians at the LC final a couple of years back.

Edited by tarapoa

14 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Copied and pasted from a posting I made on a similar thread a year or so back on the locus of Aberdeen's fanbase and competing with/ or attracting glory hunters over the years....

Aberdeen City is mainly red, but there is a large incoming worker (and student) population - and if anything competing with English clubs for attention is a bigger problem these days than the (former) old firm. There are plenty in my work with north-east accents who will irritate me by going on about Spurs, Chelsea etc - but being little more than patronising or indifferent to their local club.

We still have a fair amount of Celtic sympathisers, because they went to St Josephs don't you know, or folk now in their 20s/early 30s who supported rangers because their halcyon EBT-assisted days coincided with the start of AFC's demise and they needed to seek what they felt was some kind of identity to make up for their genitalia not developing properly or whatever the reason.

Aberdeenshire contains as many, if not more, good dandies than the city with commuter towns like Ellon, Newmachar, Inverurie and Westhill being generally red, but the more southern facing places like Portlethen, Newtonhill and Stonehaven often being as much the settlement of choice for incoming ugly sister sympathisers, who need to get south faster.

The rural or traditional fishing parts of the mid to northern shire, such as Banff & Buchan stray more into traditional values where aligning with the church, and therefore following a Glasgow team becomes more common.

Central Belt  as mentioned earlier, a mixture of north-east diaspora (over a few generations) and some who saw us as a winning alternative to the sectarian uglies and kind of stuck with us.

Further afield  plenty of expat supporters, as you will find 'oilfield trash' in the usual clusters globally - namely the Middle East, Caspian, Houston, Calgary, Perth etc.......and a good squad, like most, in London.

Other places where we have strong representation are Inverness and Orkney as mentioned - met a coachload of very drunken Orcadians at the LC final a couple of years back.

Greenied for the genitalia line.