Local team / glory hunting, etc. and so on

8 hours ago, ZX1886 said:

Never really got my head around it. I look at all the work teams like Motherwell do in the local community and wonder why folk wouldn’t be proud of it and want to get behind the club. Instead when we play there are buses full of supporters leaving to watch the OF.

Not quite as bad as folk who despise the Scottish game and pretend to be passionate about some English mob...

Because Motherwell don't win every week. 

On 05/12/2020 at 06:16, IrishBhoy said:

At the end of the day anyone can support whatever team they choose, no matter how far away from the stadium they live. However, because the majority of Old Firm fans in this country are educated to a very low level, they don’t see the irony in lording it over fans who do support a team in their local area, or even a team they have some tangible connection to. It’s very evident that domestic success means little to them, a Scottish Cup win for Celtic is celebrated with a few pints in the pub after the game and up the road. The bragging rights over Rangers fans mean much more than the trophy. But compare that to something like Ross County’s Scottish Cup win, or St Mirrens league cup, these were celebrated in a way that OF fans could only achieve if they won a European trophy, which is very unlikely to happen. 

A lot of OF fans also have the delusion that they didn’t just choose to support one of them, but were somehow chosen, and subsequently believe that the success of their team reflects on them as a person. They don’t seem to understand that they just chose a team to support (a coincidence that it happens to be one of the 2 biggest teams in the country), in the same way that I could say tomorrow I support Real Madrid and lord it over OF fans, but I wouldn’t do that because I don’t need to use my teams success as some sort of personality trait. 

It’s sometimes said in jest but I personally know OF supporters who think of themselves as superior to fans of St. Mirren, Hamilton, etc (basically any other team in Scotland actually), and are unable to see the stupidity of relating the success of the team they support to their own life, especially when they have done literally nothing to aide that success, but still carry the arrogance of someone who has. 

Ive been going to St Mirren games for a good few years now and if I meet someone for the first time will say I support St Mirren. Had a Rangers fan (from Motherwell) a few months back who, after meeting for the first time, told me it must be shite to go watch a team that never wins, in a stadium with hardly any fans. I did tell him that St Mirren have won a national trophy more recently than his team, and that St Mirren would have substantially more fans if half of Paisley didn’t ignore their own towns team and choose to support the more successful clubs 20 minutes up the road. Explained that when I go to watch a game of football I don’t need to do it in a stadium with 40,000 others so I can give myself a pat on the back because I support a ‘big’ team. Infact I could think of nothing worse than sitting in Ibrox or Parkhead amongst some of the mutants that go to their home games. I’ve been in the home end and the away end at both stadiums, and you don’t need to look far to see what sort of people you are associating yourself with. 

good post, although i know of no OF fans who ''lord it'' over fans of smaller teams, in fact, the only lording i've ever been witness to, is this thread, where it surprised me to find that some people think they're superior to others because they don't travel more than 30 minutes to a Home match, i have no issue either with an OF fan having a pint with his mates then going home at 7pm after a Scottish Cup win, if anyone should be question about a Scottish Cup Final appearance, its the team with the 6,000 home gate, that magical turns into 20,000 for the Final, they are the Kings of Glory Hunting.

9 hours ago, ZX1886 said:

Never really got my head around it. I look at all the work teams like Motherwell do in the local community and wonder why folk wouldn’t be proud of it and want to get behind the club. Instead when we play there are buses full of supporters leaving to watch the OF.

Not quite as bad as folk who despise the Scottish game and pretend to be passionate about some English mob...

We do you think people pretend to be passionate about ''an english mob'' ?  Don't you think they love that club as much as you love yours ? 

On 05/12/2020 at 08:59, IrishBhoy said:

Apologies, Ross Countys league cup win. 

Think I was getting it confused with Caley Thistle winning the Scottish Cup. 

Easily done, they're both from "up there".

17 minutes ago, Gus Setsniffer said:

good post, although i know of no OF fans who ''lord it'' over fans of smaller teams, in fact, the only lording i've ever been witness to, is this thread, where it surprised me to find that some people think they're superior to others because they don't travel more than 30 minutes to a Home match, i have no issue either with an OF fan having a pint with his mates then going home at 7pm after a Scottish Cup win, if anyone should be question about a Scottish Cup Final appearance, its the team with the 6,000 home gate, that magical turns into 20,000 for the Final, they are the Kings of Glory Hunting.

We do you think people pretend to be passionate about ''an english mob'' ?  Don't you think they love that club as much as you love yours ? 

Used to take me 5 minutes to walk to the Coleraine Showgrounds. Any further away and my support might have become problematic, tbqhwy.

I don’t think a wee guy from dennistoun that talks about Liverpool whenever they win can be considered as much of a supporter as someone who goes to watch St Johnstone home and away.

Having said that, I know a boy that used to (pre-Covid) go down to watch Carlisle every week. It depends on the person but I’d say that the majority are not proper supporters.

1 minute ago, ZX1886 said:

I don’t think a wee guy from dennistoun that talks about Liverpool whenever they win can be considered as much of a supporter as someone who goes to watch St Johnstone home and away.

Having said that, I know a boy that used to (pre-Covid) go down to watch Carlisle every week. It depends on the person but I’d say that the majority are not proper supporters.

i would consider him a fan, not a supporter

For me, these guys give more fucks about their team of choice

60Tjvwf.jpg

Than at least 50% of this mob

WYhAzY7.png

WYhAzY7.png&key=f3255d0823246f25f73091a89ba2c8321dc69529c5e735e1541502fd85828ded

Well in 1952 over 130,000 people went to watch Motherwell vs Dundee, I doubt they were all season ticket holders...

A cup final is a one off where most folk in the town (including OF fans) get behind their local club for one day. Can’t be compared to a St Johnstone fan that goes every week.

Also with both the OF out, the casual fan is more likely to go along.

On 05/12/2020 at 06:16, IrishBhoy said:

St Mirren would have substantially more fans if half of Paisley didn’t ignore their own towns team and choose to support the more successful clubs 20 minutes up the road. Explained that when I go to watch a game of football I don’t need to do it in a stadium with 40,000 others so I can give myself a pat on the back because I support a ‘big’ team. Infact I could think of nothing worse than sitting in Ibrox or Parkhead amongst some of the mutants that go to their home games. I’ve been in the home end and the away end at both stadiums, and you don’t need to look far to see what sort of people you are associating yourself with. 

You raise a good point.

I've long said to OF supporters who trot out the old 'St. Mirren, whit d'ye support them fur? They're pish!' line that clubs like St. Mirren, Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Morton would be substantially less pish with the support of their local communities rather than ducking out to Ibrox and Parkhead.

More I think about it though, it's a double edged sword. I have a lot less issue with someone who is from Paisley and goes to games week-in week-out and actually participates in following their club. I actively get visibly annoyed by anyone from Paisley who chastises me though for St. Mirren's ability who stands in a pub every Saturday and shouts at Celtic or Rangers on the telly and couldn't fucking find Parkhead/Ibrox if you dropped them off at the Barras/Bellahouston Park and knows not the first thing about football.

The double edged sword though, is that unfortunately, just as you wouldn't want to sit next to them at Ibrox or Parkhead, most of us wouldn't want the majority of these numb-nuts anywhere near a St. Mirren game. 

1 hour ago, Gus Setsniffer said:

i would consider him a fan, not a supporter

For me, these guys give more fucks about their team of choice

60Tjvwf.jpg

WYhAzY7.png

Which is why, if I remember correctly, many Saints fans said they preferred the semi final to winning the final. It was the usual core of 3,000 or whatever who go all the time. I'm sure Caley Thistle fans said similar about their Scottish Cup win.

The same could also be applied to the Old Firm and their European finals when however many millions travelled to Seville and Manchester. Big games attract more fans, who knew.

On 06/12/2020 at 01:34, AJF said:

I think you raise a lot of good points. I think I’d also add a bit of balance in regards to the statement that a lot of OF fans think of themselves as superior fans, but the opposite can also be said.

This thread is a prime example and has multiple instances of some fans believing they are superior than OF fans.

It took a fucking disgraceful relegation by that c**t Butcher for the pitchforks to be properly engaged at Easter Road - I would suggest similar behaviour from most other non Celtic and Rangers fans would be the norm.

Celtic fans behaviour this week was instructive - 

They have won 9 titles in a row, have won every domestic trophy available in the last 4 years and they are getting themselves arrested and chasing the team bus down the motorway, why?

Because they wont win the league cup and look like gifting the title to Rangers. Bear in mind they are in the final of last seasons Scottish Cup and this seasons one is still up for grabs.

Hence, for the rest of us It doesnt take much belief to think we are "better" fans.

Edited by Green Day

3 minutes ago, Green Day said:

It took a fucking disgraceful relegation by that c**t Butcher for the pitchforks to be properly engaged at Easter Road - I would suggest similar behaviour from most other non Celtic and Rangers fans would be the norm.

Celtic fans behaviour this week was instructive - 

They have won 9 titles in a row, have won every domestic trophy available in the last 4 years and they are getting themselves arrested and chasing the team bus down the motorway, why?

Because they wont win the league cup and look like gifting the title to Rangers. Bear in mind they are in the final of last seasons Scottish Cup and this seasons one is still up for grabs.

Hence, for the rest of us It doesnt take much belief to think we are "better" fans.

Which was precisely my point. You can't criticise OF fans for believing they are superior when fans of other clubs believe the exact same.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

Which was precisely my point. You can't criticise OF fans for believing they are superior when fans of other clubs believe the exact same.

I dont, I just think most of them are wanks that lack imagination.

Guest TheJTS98
On 05/12/2020 at 14:16, IrishBhoy said:

It’s sometimes said in jest but I personally know OF supporters who think of themselves as superior to fans of St. Mirren, Hamilton, etc (basically any other team in Scotland actually),

Good post.

I remember being in The Horseshoe Bar years ago after Hearts had lost to Celtic and a Celtic fan we got talking to actually said when introducing his opinion on Hearts' performance:

"You know, when you watch football at the level that we (Celtic fans) do, you get to know what you're talking about".

😀

The boy got very angry that we all pished ourselves laughing at him.

On 06/12/2020 at 00:45, AJF said:

Personally, I fully expected us to get promoted each year at the first time of asking given the astronomical resources we had available to us compared to our rivals at the time. Credit to Hearts in their first championship season as they really highlighted how far off it we were.

The fact that we were a basket case while McCoist was at the helm (still a legend - not all his fault) had me thinking that when we did get promoted to the premier league we’d maybe have a few seasons around mid table.

Thankfully I think they got the appointment of Warburton correct in the sense that he had us playing good football while we won the championship comfortably and had some big premiership scalps in the cup run so it set us up better for our first season back in the premiership compared to if we had gone up under McCoist in my opinion (it was still a shambles but we were nearer the top of the table than I previously feared we might have been).

So, to answer your question in simple terms, no, I never once expected we’d spend a significant amount of time in the lower leagues, but the way the club was run had me concerned that we’d be mid table for a considerable period.

You've missed about 6 months there. When McCall was manager. How was that period and what where the expectations compared to the reality of losing to getting absolutely shagged by the worst Motherwell team in the last 15 years?

10 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

You've missed about 6 months there. When McCall was manager. How was that period and what where the expectations compared to the reality of losing to getting absolutely shagged by the worst Motherwell team in the last 15 years?

It was not enjoyable in the slightest. I was actually on a Stag Do when the second leg was played. It ruined my holiday.

Edited by AJF

Looking back it annoys me now. We only seem to beat you recently when it matters (play off/Semi final). 

I'd like the odd league win too.

But aye. The bog standard diddy fan is worth about 5 OF fans. Despite there beinf a few decent OF fans