Local team / glory hunting, etc. and so on

7 minutes ago, aaa said:

I've no idea where your getting this.United  were getting 8-9000 in the forties just the same as the sixties.If any thing United's support dropped during Dundee's decline.

Yes, but we're talking about the gates in relative terms between the sides.

Everyone's gates were historically big in the post war years, but the point is that United's were well under half the size of Dundee's in the period you identify.  That's the bit that changed sharply.

I'm "getting this" from 'The Roar of the Crowd' by David Ross.  I'd recommend it.

1 hour ago, EpicMike said:

Some of the old timers I speak to say a lot of fans used to go to both Dundee and United games, by the time the rivalry solidified and you were expected to choose one or the other both sides were fairly even. I doubt there were many defections (as in a fan completely switching allegiances), most likely it was just fans fully committing to one of the clubs.

I was told by a pal's dad that the same thing happened in Edinburgh. He was a Hibs fan but would go and watch Hearts when Hibs were away. This would have been in the 1950s and 60s so he saw two decent teams.

I doubt it happened in Glasgow with the big two ("Haw Brendan, I saw you at Ibrox last week!") but perhaps East End based Celts went to watch Clyde and Gers fans might have watched Thirds or Queens Park or even Benburb.

The P&B Diddies calling we Rangers fans, Glory Hunters and Bigots is a bit of a revelation for me.

January 2021 will be my 15th anniversary of posting on here and, in that decade and a half, it's the first time that the daft fuckers have got something right...

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I was told by a pal's dad that the same thing happened in Edinburgh. He was a Hibs fan but would go and watch Hearts when Hibs were away. This would have been in the 1950s and 60s so he saw two decent teams.

I doubt it happened in Glasgow with the big two ("Haw Brendan, I saw you at Ibrox last week!") but perhaps East End based Celts went to watch Clyde and Gers fans might have watched Thirds or Queens Park or even Benburb.

Heard similar about Airdrie and Rovers, although it couldn't have been that many as Rovers crowds never seemed that good. People would also go to their own team's reserve games. Because  I went to away games I'd  only get to midweek reserve games.  There is certainly far fewer people like that now.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

10 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

This

And this. I have known loads over the years who have this visceral hate for Falkirk. Massively overcompensating IMO. Pathetic

Same up here, not so much Celtic fans but a lot of Rangers fans up here have some weird hatred for The Caley. They try to make some kind of rivalry whenever we play. They're a strange bunch. 

13 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Same up here, not so much Celtic fans but a lot of Rangers fans up here have some weird hatred for The Caley. They try to make some kind of rivalry whenever we play. They're a strange bunch. 

Celtic fans before a game at Tannadice earlier this season:

EgCDV7NXkAEMyer.jpeg.462e6e127ca8ca5d7f0f9002c91bd151.jpeg

Glory hunting says something very fundamental about the person doing it.

It says they have a deep void and inadequacy within that can only temporarily disappear by associating with "success" (which they convince themselves applies to them). The behaviour of both sets of the old firm at times during a "tough run of results" tells you a lot.

These people who support one of the old firm because "my dad does" , when the dad unashamedly is a glory hunter too are some of the worst. I knew a guy born and bred in Edinburgh who supported Sevco because "my dad always has". His dad was from Perth , St Johnstone happened to be his dads "wee team". Pathetic behaviour.

6 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

It says they have a deep void and inadequacy within that can only temporarily disappear by associating with "success" (which they convince themselves applies to them). The behaviour of both sets of the old firm at times during a "tough run of results" tells you a lot.

These people who support one of the old firm because "my dad does" , when the dad unashamedly is a glory hunter too are some of the worst. I knew a guy born and bred in Edinburgh who supported Sevco because "my dad always has". His dad was from Perth , St Johnstone happened to be his dads "wee team". Pathetic behaviour.

Basically every Rangers and Celtic fan from Inverness.

11 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

4 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Basically every Rangers and Celtic fan from Inverness.

You're both just jealous of all their success.

40 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

There's a Celtic bus from Stonehaven that get very, very excitable about showing off their flag to the away end when we visit. Not weird behaviour at all.

That's just everyone from Stonehaven in general.

1 minute ago, Day of the Lords said:

Genuine LOLz at the boy with the flare there thinking he's a right wee ultra 😂

Could imagine him swaggering into Kelly's Bar in Lochee showing off his banner before cheering on a team based 80 miles away.

1 minute ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Could imagine him swaggering into Kelly's Bar in Lochee showing off his banner before cheering on a team based 80 miles away.

Aye 😂

There's loads of these wankers in Forfar as well. "Forfar's green and white!!!111" after winning a Europa league qualifier against some set of non-entities. No it's not you fucking fannies, most folk here couldn't give a shiny shite for your, or your wee "WATP" pals' shite. 

I know I slag off Highland OF fans, but the central belt/Aberdeen-shire ones are far worse IMO, they've always had Scottish League teams on their doorstep who they choose to ignore to support a winning team 50-100 miles away.  The lads my ages up here, guys in their 30's and older, didn't have a The Caley or County to go to, not in the SFL anyway.  Guys in their 30's and older down there did.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

I know I slag off Highland OF fans, but the central belt/Aberdeen-shire ones are far worse IMO, they've always had Scottish League teams on their doorstep who they choose to ignore to support a winning team 50-100 miles away.  The lads my ages up here, guys in their 30's and older, didn't have a The Caley or County to go to, not in the SFL anyway.  Guys in their 30's and older down there did.

They did have a Caley to go to. It’s the modern day fans who don’t have a Caley to go to....

Just now, G51 said:

They did have a Caley to go to. It’s the modern day fans who don’t have a Caley to go to....

They do, they merged with another club to create a superclub who wins national trophies.