Local team / glory hunting, etc. and so on

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I'll bet you the vast majority are Aberdonians that no longer live in Aberdeen.

i'd say maybe as high 80 or 90%, but that other 10 or 20 percent arent and started supporting the dons when Sir Alex was the manager and stuck with them, and good for them, but they'd get hammered on here for their reasons for being a dons fan,   i really don't care how anyone started supporting the team they do, but the high horse some are sitting on in this thread is laughable.

3 minutes ago, Gus Setsniffer said:

i'd say maybe as high 80 or 90%, but that other 10 or 20 percent arent and started supporting the dons when Sir Alex was the manager and stuck with them, and good for them, but they'd get hammered on here for their reasons for being a dons fan,   i really don't care how anyone started supporting the team they do, but the high horse some are sitting on in this thread is laughable.

I don't know who you support Gus but whoever it is, just know I forgive you.

On 02/12/2020 at 20:42, oneteaminglasgow said:

I think supporting the same team as your dad is fair enough. I’m probably strange in that my dad, a Celtic fan, went out of his way to ensure that I didn’t support the same team as him. Both Celtic Park and Ibrox are closer to where I grew up, as is Hampden actually, but he took me to Firhill, so that’s who I support.

It’s undoubtable that there is a section of the OF support who support them entirely because they win everything, and then boast about them winning everything. And it’s undoubtable that all of that section are complete dicks.

I've been going along to watch Queens Park  5 or 6 times a season for a good few years now. They're my local team and i'd like to see them do well, the move to Lesser Hampden and going pro makes watching all the more interesting now, to see the progression they make. I wouldn't take my daughter to watch Celtic, she's been to a couple of Queens Park games (as an oblivious to her surroundings and asleep baby), if she has any interest in going to football as she gets older i'd strongly encourage her coming along to watch her local team over Celtic. Or Rangers for that matter. 

1 hour ago, G51 said:

Caley were known as the Rangers of the North by their own fans. When Caley died a big chunk of them followed Rangers full-time. Almost no one followed the MK Dons of the North...

I'm gonna call "citation required" on that. In my experience it was fans of the other clubs that gave us that nickname, based on the usual stuff: play in blue, win a lot, nobody likes us. Just my tuppence worth. Anyway all this Caley stuff is off-topic.

1 hour ago, Northsea80 said:

I've been going along to watch Queens Park  5 or 6 times a season for a good few years now. They're my local team and i'd like to see them do well, the move to Lesser Hampden and going pro makes watching all the more interesting now, to see the progression they make. I wouldn't take my daughter to watch Celtic, she's been to a couple of Queens Park games (as an oblivious to her surroundings and asleep baby), if she has any interest in going to football as she gets older i'd strongly encourage her coming along to watch her local team over Celtic. Or Rangers for that matter. 

Be interested to know if that is based on the ‘local’ aspects of Queens or is it more to do with the baggage carried by the other two.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Yep, and you can pretty much guarantee they all just support Rangers now.  

People often talk about Inverness-based OF fans, refusniks and non-ICT supporting Invernesians and I've come to the conclusion that while their cash would be nice, if all these groups all changed in a one-er and started supporting ICT, within a few weeks we'd wish they'd hadn't.

My dad was a Rangers man from Glasgow but moved to Fife for work reasons. Instead of travelling back and forth to Glasgow every week he decided to go down to what at the time was Old Bayview and watch East Fife when i was old enough he just started taking me along with him until he stopped going due to health reasons I eventually just kept going myself until i moved to Sunderland in the mid 2000's for work. 

East Fife will always be my first love when it comes to football but when i moved to Sunderland i would get invited by colleagues and people i met in pubs to go along to the Stadium of Light seeing i had nothing else to do on a Saturday afternoon i tagged along until i grew an affection for them. Hardly a glory hunter seeing we we're bottom of the first division at the time. 

I've since moved back up to Scotland and go to most East Fife games i can get along to but have kept my season ticket for Sunderland as my affection grew more for Sunderland... though at times i wish it really hadn't. 

Edited by Rbon

People always cite it but I cannot think watching both Hibs + Hearts or both Dundee + Dundee Utd was ever commonplace, even in the old days. Certainly not outwith a single town or city.

Talk of Inverness Caledonian Thistle - deliberately formed to try and build a bigger and more successful club for the town - also causes me to think of conscious cases where clubs formed or rebranded - in an effort to pitch themself to wider areas... East Fife, East Stirlingshire (formerly Bainsford Britannia), Ross County, Nairn County. That is a conscious shot at glory hunters.

We also find 'unusual' cases... East Stirlingshire being bodysnatched to become Clydebank (temporarily), Meadowbank Thistle being bodysnatched to become Livingston, and Clydebank being bodysnatched to become Airdrie Utd. Most fans gave-up on football or followed a new/phoenix club in non-league. However in Thistle's case I've heard that some moved with them.

57 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

People often talk about Inverness-based OF fans, refusniks and non-ICT supporting Invernesians and I've come to the conclusion that while their cash would be nice, if all these groups all changed in a one-er and started supporting ICT, within a few weeks we'd wish they'd hadn't.

Yep, there's enough arseholes in our support already.

37 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

People always cite it but I cannot think watching both Hibs + Hearts or both Dundee + Dundee Utd was ever commonplace, 

It most certainly was! In the days when tickets to the football were a fraction of the price they are now, and the weekly trip to Easter Rd/Tynecastle was just part and parcel of the working man's Saturday (followed, of course, by the boozer). It wasn't as if you supported the other team - you still had a love for your own team, you just also had a love for the footballing experience in general. And there were, of course, skirmishes, but none of the "I hate them so much I'd prefer to sprinkle Jim Traynor's bunion shavings on my pasta than shake their hand" thing. Or at the very least, it wasn't as brash as it has been latterly. 

Edited by The Other Foot

31 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

People always cite it but I cannot think watching both Hibs + Hearts or both Dundee + Dundee Utd was ever commonplace, even in the old days. Certainly not outwith a single town or city

A very small sample size of me and my mates, but I used to go to Dens with my mates when I was younger if United weren't playing or I couldn't get to an away game, just for the sake of watching a game of fitba. They also came to Tannadice with me sometimes if the situation was reversed.

That was late 80's/early 90's. 

I'm in the support the team my dad and uncles support. He's from Glasgow (my mother is Irish and I was born there) and they all support Celtic. But as I grew up an 'Army Brat' yes Celtic fans do join the army...! I have never lived in the West of Scotland. My uncles all moved away as well (one to England the other to Germany) 

When I first started going to football I lived in England and started following and supporting my local team where I lived at the time which was Aldershot. I support both teams equally. I have been living back in Scotland since the mid 90s But never in the West.  When we moved back my parents made the decision not to move to the west of Scotland or to Northern Ireland but settle in the East of Scotland all because of the bigotry and make sure I wasn't involved in that.

The "My father supported them" argument only works if yer da took ye to the fitba. Not is he was sitting in the house on a saturday with his tap aff drinky bucky shoutin' "Up the 'RA/No surrender" at the radio.

I went to a "catholic school" and not once did I feel any expectation or pressure to support Celtic. Was full of Celtic fans though. Daft religious morons 

Imagine choosing the football club you follow based on your interpretation on an old book...

The hatred of the local club by OF fans seems to happen in West Fife too, the Chris Sutton incident didn't help with this, the night after the Pars played Celtic for the first time in 03-04 season when there was some minor trouble, the bouncer at Johnsons was asking people who they supported and turning away Celtic fans, fantastic pettiness. There also seems to be some Hearts fans born and raised in the area with a hatred for Dunfermline, some sado is always commenting on Pars stories in the Dunfermline Press, though not so much at the moment! 

2 hours ago, Rbon said:

My dad was a Rangers man from Glasgow but moved to Fife for work reasons. Instead of travelling back and forth to Glasgow every week he decided to go down to what at the time was Old Bayview and watch East Fife when i was old enough he just started taking me along with him until he stopped going due to health reasons I eventually just kept going myself until i moved to Sunderland in the mid 2000's for work. 

East Fife will always be my first love when it comes to football but when i moved to Sunderland i would get invited by colleagues and people i met in pubs to go along to the Stadium of Light seeing i had nothing else to do on a Saturday afternoon i tagged along until i grew an affection for them. Hardly a glory hunter seeing we we're bottom of the first division at the time. 

I've since moved back up to Scotland and go to most East Fife games i can get along to but have kept my season ticket for Sunderland as my affection grew more for Sunderland... though at times i wish it really hadn't. 

nice story, wait till bin bin salah bin buys the mackems in a few years, this thread with get bumped and you'll be a glory hunting b*****d.....😁