Local team / glory hunting, etc. and so on

Somebody suggested this needs its own thread, and given how much attention the topic has been taking away from the joy of purely and simply laughing at Celtic, I feel they are probably correct.

For what my own thoughts on it are worth: There’s always been a big part of me that has cringed at folks up here in the Highlands who support either of the Old Firm, but I also recognise everyone has a different story of how they end up behind one team or another. I still remember at primary school I really wasn’t interested in football, but almost all my mates used to ask “Who do you support, Celtic or Rangers?” (Rarely were other options presented). I usually responded with “Which one do you support? ...Yeah, me too.”

Only when I went to secondary school, and a mate said “You should come along to the (County) game this weekend.”, did I do just that - and I’ve passionately followed them ever since.

I took a year out between school and Aberdeen uni, working down near Stirling and ended up alongside 3 Aberdeen fans - 2 from Tillicoultry, the third I don’t recall where from, but also not Aberdeen! I don’t know the full story of how they ended up supporting Aberdeen, but part of it I believe was in protest at all things Old Firm (but possibly still with the hope of at least a little bit of glory...?) ANYWAY, influenced by those guys’ passion and knowing I was going to spend a few years in Aberdeen, plus with County still playing in the lower leagues, I adopted Aberdeen as “my premier league team” around then. That was fun, but it wasn’t forever and I couldn’t care less these days (other than that I would welcome anyone but the Old Firm winning the league some time).

My mum being from Leicester and my cousins living there, I’ve always had a soft spot for them and loved them winning the league, but again it doesn’t bother me too much either way how they do. Finally I studied near Bournemouth for a while, and kind of adopted them while I was in the area as well. (Oh, the shock of seeing DEREK HOLMES again! 😱 )

Anyway that’s a bit of my story. And we all have one. Some (quite possibly most) of the “Not from Glasgow but support *OF*” are without doubt glory hunters, but probably not all.

Finally I believe the “Who my dad supports” factor can be huge, and whilst there’s likely at least one glory hunter somewhere in the family tree, can a 5-year old from Tain who “picks” Celtic because his dad is mad for them and he’s never been presented with any other options really be accused of being a glory hunter?

Discuss / be disgusted.

Well in life you shouldn't jump to conclusions too quickly, but it's fair to assume that the majority of fans outside Glasgow who support the old firm are glory hunters. Sevco and Celtic are just two sides of the same shitey coin. The majority of their fans would jump ship and support another team tomorrow if the bigot brothers stop winning. Celtic Park was empty in the 90s. 

4 minutes ago, MS RR said:

Well in life you shouldn't jump to conclusions too quickly, but it's fair to assume that the majority of fans outside Glasgow who support the old firm are glory hunters. Sevco and Celtic are just two sides of the same shitey coin. The majority of their fans would jump ship and support another team tomorrow if the bigot brothers stop winning. Celtic Park was empty in the 90s. 

You do realise that we've went years without anything, yet the fanbase hasn't shrunk like you suggested.

Edited by bennett
Forum jump

support whoever the f**k you want, didnt glory hunting used to be, you were already a rangers man, but they were shite, with gates of 10 or 12 thousand then Souness came on the scene and it was full houses every week. Now we've got this ''local shite'' , what if you're a tim from Lanarkshire ? Motherwell has always been seen as ''**** wae nae bus fare'', so that rules that local pish out for the young man fae Wishaw with a Wolftones CD collection.

5 minutes ago, MS RR said:

your whole post is horseshit

Just now, Gus Setsniffer said:

your whole post is horseshit

No it isn't. However, I literally can't understand your first message on the page, you're so uneducated you've managed to write loads of words without anyone understanding what you're going on about. 

Just now, MS RR said:

No it isn't. However, I literally can't understand your first message on the page, you're so uneducated you've managed to write loads of words without anyone understanding what you're going on about. 

Jesus. This is a look and a half.

Oh, dearly me. What have I done 😳 I suspect it’s not possible to ‘unstart’ a new topic, but I believe there’s an “ignore” function out there. Can somebody please tell me how to set it up. Help me, please!

ETA Found it. Useful!

Edited by The Great Stagsby

6 minutes ago, Perkin Flump said:

Seem a bit grumpy there old bean.

me grumpy ? not in the slightest, nevertheless, the nonsense posted and chip on the shoulders of diddy team supporters is quiet astounding, some posters need to blame their da, he made them support a shite wee team that wins f**k all.

Edited by Gus Setsniffer

Anyway, I started out watching Kilwinning Rangers as they were playing literally next door to me. When I got a bit older my brother took me to Parkhead every other week plus non OF West Coast away games. As soon as I was old enough to make my own choice I went to Rugby Park, first solo game was a 2-2 replay draw in the cup which was mayhem & never looked back.

7 minutes ago, The Great Stagsby said:

Oh, dearly me. What have I done 😳 I suspect it’s not possible to ‘unstart’ a new topic, but I believe there’s an “ignore” function out there. Can somebody please tell me how to set it up. Help me, please!

you've not done anything, its a good thread topic

3 minutes ago, Perkin Flump said:

Anyway, I started out watching Kilwinning Rangers as they were playing literally next door to me. When I got a bit older my brother took me to Parkhead every other week plus non OF West Coast away games. As soon as I was old enough to make my own choice I went to Rugby Park, first solo game was a 2-2 replay draw in the cup which was mayhem & never looked back.

fair play to you Sir, i too made my own choice who to follow and they were proper shite at the time.

Edited by Gus Setsniffer