033 Kennie Young: explanations, answering accusations & why some clubs could soon be using changing rooms

1731997510_Kenniead.thumb.jpeg.66810f5028a7aa8ed40d3b47d08e5a70.jpeg

Hi everyone,

We just wanted to alert you to our podcast and the fact we have the West of Scotland League’s interim secretary Kennie Young on our show, which is out now. The episode's synopsis is below.

We're on all podcast players including Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podbean, Acast, Google Podcasts and Pocket Casts.

Thanks for all your support. 

033 WOSFL IMG secretary Kennie Young: explanations, answering accusations & why some clubs could soon be using changing rooms again

THERE can’t have been many busier football administrators this summer than Kennie Young.

The West of Scotland League’s fixture secretary hasn’t just had a new setup to schedule.

He’s had to deal with a global pandemic, ever-changing conditions and teams pulling out.

That’s seen conferences ripped up and redrawn and matches altered and called off at the last minute.

But in between it all he’s made time to listen to Down The Divisions – and he’s ready for some straight talking about what’s been said on the show.

Kennie joins us on the show this week.

We’ll hear just how chaotic the last few months have been and exactly what’s gone on.

We’ll take a look to what the future holds for the new structure - and why some clubs could be back in changing rooms soon.

Plus we’ll reflect on Kennie’s long and distinguished career helping to make the juniors game work as we go Down The Divisions.

If you have any comments we'd love to hear from you. Likewise if you're at a club who would like your post-match audio featured on the show then do get in touch. You can email downthedivisions@gmail.com or contact us through Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.

Down The Divisions logo design Adam Aitken

Intro and outro music Bensound

2 hours ago, Down The Divisions Podcast said:

1731997510_Kenniead.thumb.jpeg.66810f5028a7aa8ed40d3b47d08e5a70.jpeg

Hi everyone,

We just wanted to alert you to our podcast and the fact we have the West of Scotland League’s interim secretary Kennie Young on our show, which is out now. The episode's synopsis is below.

We're on all podcast players including Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podbean, Acast, Google Podcasts and Pocket Casts.

Thanks for all your support. 

033 WOSFL IMG secretary Kennie Young: explanations, answering accusations & why some clubs could soon be using changing rooms again

THERE can’t have been many busier football administrators this summer than Kennie Young.

The West of Scotland League’s fixture secretary hasn’t just had a new setup to schedule.

He’s had to deal with a global pandemic, ever-changing conditions and teams pulling out.

That’s seen conferences ripped up and redrawn and matches altered and called off at the last minute.

But in between it all he’s made time to listen to Down The Divisions – and he’s ready for some straight talking about what’s been said on the show.

Kennie joins us on the show this week.

We’ll hear just how chaotic the last few months have been and exactly what’s gone on.

We’ll take a look to what the future holds for the new structure - and why some clubs could be back in changing rooms soon.

Plus we’ll reflect on Kennie’s long and distinguished career helping to make the juniors game work as we go Down The Divisions.

If you have any comments we'd love to hear from you. Likewise if you're at a club who would like your post-match audio featured on the show then do get in touch. You can email downthedivisions@gmail.com or contact us through Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.

Down The Divisions logo design Adam Aitken

Intro and outro music Bensound

I suppose you think it's funny to draw those specs and beard on him?

Can't say I agree with his saying that we let the clubs decide. Seems like a bit of a cop out of responsibility.The decision to play should have been made by IMG whether to play and not by some wet behind the ears football players and temporary committee men.Personally speaking I believe this season should have been declared null and void and we start with fans fully vaccinated as normal in August

Very informative appearance 

10 minutes ago, allyg1977 said:
1 hour ago, glensmad said:
The deadline was a couple of weeks ago.

Yeah but has we get into the winter months don't u think a few more will go due to the weather etc

The clubs all had plenty of time to think about that ahead of the deadline.

They have all chosen to play on, knowing the possible points deduction which would come their way if they were to withdraw from now on.

27 minutes ago, allyg1977 said:
1 hour ago, glensmad said:
The deadline was a couple of weeks ago.

Yeah but has we get into the winter months don't u think a few more will go due to the weather etc

The deadline was the 14th November(?) They already knew the weather in Scotland is only going to get worse. Also pretty sure the Levels were up and running in Scotland and the West of Scotland more likely to spend the winter in Level 4 meaning no chance of fans until the New Year.

They all knew what they were signing up for.

If clubs who had the option not to play need support why are they playing?  I suspect some of the clubs who are playing are quite healthy financially and must have taken that into consideration when they made their choice,  would it be right that they receive tax payers money when they can survive financially.   It was their choice and they were probably aware of the consequences.  You could argue that clubs who choose not to play because of the Financial consequences are equally entitled to any monies from the public purse that are available due to loss of earnings, that's probably why anything given must be a loan to be paid back to the public purse.

There may also be clubs who are OK financially but took the decision not to play for other reasons but are still missing out as all clubs are with the income streams that are not available due to the restrictions.  I would feel really strongly if money from the public purse were paid out to assist Football clubs who had a relatively healthy bank balance,  if assistance is needed then it should only be the needful and not as a means of profiteering from a dreadful health pandemic.

On 03/12/2020 at 11:26, ernest said:

Can't say I agree with his saying that we let the clubs decide. Seems like a bit of a cop out of responsibility.The decision to play should have been made by IMG whether to play and not by some wet behind the ears football players and temporary committee men.Personally speaking I believe this season should have been declared null and void and we start with fans fully vaccinated as normal in August

Not wanting it to be taken personally but do you know something more than most of us and do you know more than some of those who are in direct conversations with people involved.

I can say, 100%, from the people I've had conversations with that the choice was up to the clubs. They were given guidelines, the ones who withdrew were told how it would work when they came back the following season and the ones who stay and play were told of the advantages and penalties if withdrawing after the deadlines this season and that they will remain in the same divisions the following season.

Lets make it clear, its been a big deal all ex junior teams leaving the junior ranks to join the senior ranks, (some forced because the West Junior association said they wont be running in season 20/21) and with the the Lowland league and the West of Scotland wanting all the clubs to survive and want them all to participate next year and not fold. So they gave them the choice to withdraw of not

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

What I am saying is the decision shouldn't have been up to the clubs.The decision should have been made by the governing body as an unilateral decision. In my eyes it was a body swerve by the governing body to shoulder the blame on to the clubs when things don't work out. And to put people in to a dangerous situation of close contact without adequate protection and testing not only goes against the national rules of the Scottish government but is downright irresponsible. Then to hide under the auspices of its a professional sport.Its not any different than the ammies or 2 pub teams meeting up in a Sunday morning. The higher leagues and the English Premier league has testing in place, we do not,and those players are in a bubble ours are not.And now there has been a directive put out by the IMG warning clubs about fans gathering outside grounds to watch games. Now you are telling me that clubs existence is more important than human life. I don't think so.We are only months away from vaccine protection for all then we can get back to some sort of normality

Not wanting it to be taken personally but do you know something more than most of us and do you know more than some of those who are in direct conversations with people involved. I can say, 100%, from the people I've had conversations with that the choice was up to the clubs. They were given guidelines, the ones who withdrew were told how it would work when they came back and the ones who stay and play were told of the advantages and penalties if withdrawing after the deadlines.

Lets make it clear, its been a big deal all ex junior teams leaving the junior ranks to join the senior ranks, (some forced because the West Junior association said they wont be running in season 20/21) and with the the Lowland league and the West of Scotland wanting all the clubs to survive and want them all to participate next year and not fold. So they gave them the choice to withdraw of not

1 hour ago, ernest said:

The decision should have been made by the governing body as an unilateral decision. In my eyes it was a body swerve by the governing body to shoulder the blame on to the clubs when things don't work out.

The governing body is the SFA. They and the SG worked out guidance and protocols that would allow for a return of football. At that point it's entirely down to the clubs whether they wanted to play.

Every league at that point consulted their members as they had to figure out what the feelings were in order to organise from that point on.

3 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

On the basis that the majority of the clubs apparently wanted to play on.

Correct. A majority of clubs voted to start the league on 24th October and, after that, 70% of the clubs decided to carry on further after the secondary deadline for withdrawals.

On that basis, the IMG had no mandate to just say "cancel the season".

I will leave it there then. Obviously people are misguided on their decisions,on that basis playing football for the sake of it seems to be more important than spreading a potentially fatal virus

On the basis that the majority of the clubs apparently wanted to play on.

45 minutes ago, ernest said:

A backlash on what basis

October 10th was the proposed start date. When it became obvious the restrictions in place for friendlies weren't going to open up as much as people hoped, the IMG delayed that start date.

What followed and what we've ended up with is the result of the backlash to that decision.

12 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

So if 100% of the clubs wanted to play, the IMG - elected by the clubs - should have done what exactly?

They should have taken complete responsibility and made the decision for the good of the game at this level. You can't form a leadership committee and then work via concensus. Leaders were voted in, not facilitators. Every piece of correspondence which has emerged has felt like this.  If it's not "let the clubs decide" it's "that decision was down to the SFA".

The way this year has gone it should have been a no-brainer to wait until fans were allowed to watch. To have 40 odd people travelling across the west of scotland (or beyond in the case of the SSC) is a folly. No matter how many clubs wanted to play.

There was a part of me that felt clubs should have been allowed to play if they wanted but the fact that the Glasgow region went into Level 4 restrictions and the committee still used the "professional" angle was an utter disgrace. Those in favour of playing can kid themselves on that the games being played have not contributed to any spread if they want but it's bound to have done.

"The clubs wanted it" is a cop out.

Well said sir,at least someone on here who has grasped the seriousness of the national situation

They should have taken complete responsibility and made the decision for the good of the game at this level. You can't form a leadership committee and then work via concensus. Leaders were voted in, not facilitators. Every piece of correspondence which has emerged has felt like this.  If it's not "let the clubs decide" it's "that decision was down to the SFA".
The way this year has gone it should have been a no-brainer to wait until fans were allowed to watch. To have 40 odd people travelling across the west of scotland (or beyond in the case of the SSC) is a folly. No matter how many clubs wanted to play.
There was a part of me that felt clubs should have been allowed to play if they wanted but the fact that the Glasgow region went into Level 4 restrictions and the committee still used the "professional" angle was an utter disgrace. Those in favour of playing can kid themselves on that the games being played have not contributed to any spread if they want but it's bound to have done.
"The clubs wanted it" is a cop out.