Thistle vs Dumbarton - December 5th

22 shots with only 5 on target (one being a penalty) is really poor. Williamson’s crossing was dreadful.  We miss Spittal. Thought Docherty and Sena/Brownlie were good. Lyons was poor when he came on.

We were unbelievably wasteful today. A Thistle penalty (which was never a penalty in the first place) was once again saved, no surprises there and the rebound was which a total sitter, was blasted over the bar.

We missed countless other chances, Dumbarton offered very little all game so it is a good point for them. Cove Rangers and Airdrie both lost today, even though we have went above Airdrie we could have drawn level with Cove. Thankfully the January window is only just over three weeks away, some signings certainly needed.

Two points dropped, no two ways about it.

Edited by R&Y99

4 minutes ago, R&Y99 said:

We were unbelievably wasteful today. A Thistle penalty (which was never a penalty in the first place) was once again saved, no surprises there and the rebound was which a total sitter, was blasted over the bar.

We missed countless other chances, Dumbarton offered very little all game so it is a good point for them. Cove Rangers and Airdrie both lost today, even though we have went above Airdrie we could have drawn level with Cove. Thankfully the January window is only just over three weeks away, some signings certainly needed.

Two points dropped, no two ways about it.

I wouldn’t trust McCall and his trusty assistants to sign anyone decent - they’ve built a complete dud of a squad.

I don’t disagree on either point, but the result is the ultimate yardstick managers are judged on.
That's correct but the results have also not been good enough either. One fluke draw doesn't change that.

If you are playing terrible footbal and winning games then fair enough but that's just not the case.

2 hours ago, squeezeboxson said:

Correct. But he very nearly cost us earlier in the game. He needs to learn to catch the ball more often and when palming it away, not to push it straight into the danger area. He is a decent showstopper and is young so plenty of improving to do and I am sure he will develop into a good 'keeper.

Showstopper? Is he on the bake-off?

(I did know what you meant but it was an open goal.)

Edited by rockson
addition

I'm not sure we've got a lot of capacity in January, regardless of what you think of McCall. 

Spittal won't be fit by the time his loan is up and presume SKA (what actually is up with him, can't just be a broken nose for 6 weeks) and Breen will have break clauses but cant see any of the permanent signings moving on and we can't have much left budget wise* especially with no fans likely in Glasgow for a while yet if at all this season. 

Some effort with loan players this season, we've killed Glass, and crippled 3 others. 

*Unless of course the Airdrie stream figures were true. 

1 hour ago, super-son said:

That's correct but the results have also not been good enough either. One fluke draw doesn't change that.

If you are playing terrible footbal and winning games then fair enough but that's just not the case.

Results haven’t been great but not a total disaster either. I thought we were very unlucky against East Fife and Peterhead to take nothing.

Let’s see where we are at the end of January after the big run of home games coming up.

I wasn't there today obviously, but can only comment based on what I've seen from the GoalCam and what I've heard from Chris and Jan Jr.

Firstly we must be due a few dodgy penalty decisions to go our way. That looked a scandalous call today, and can join Dunfermline's and Clyde's in that category already so far this season. To be fair ref's might as well award us a few dodgy penalties because, the way things are in front of goal, we'll miss them anyway.

Secondly, thank God for Kevin Dabrowski. His save right at the end was genuinely Peter Schmeichel-esque. Absolutely outstanding stuff. Take him out our side and we'd have lost to Forfar on the opening day and Thistle today, as well as taking some serious pumpings from a few other sides. He's only 22 too. Yes he can be a bit unorthodox, but that's just his style. He's quite unique, but I think he's got a lot of potential to have a smashing career. Unlike Alan Martin he seems to have the ideal attitude too.

Lastly I can only echo a few other comments concerned about the setup. Normally a 0-0 at Firhill would be a really good result (and it is today, especially given how under the cosh we were) but this isn't like playing Rangers, Hearts or Hibs a few years ago. Heck it's not even like playing Thistle the season they won the Championship. The stats for us attacking are terrifyingly poor this season and, unless we start scoring goals at a semi-regular rate, our really solid defensive record will count for nothing. One shot all game is really poor and at the moment it doesn't feel like we're ever going to score again - let alone win a game.

Agree on Dabrowski. He has some heart-in-mouth moments, but that’s mainly due to his decision to always parry rather than catch.

There won’t be any comparison between the career he goes on to have with Alan Martin’s.

Edited by FifeSons

Agree on Dabrowski. He has some heart-in-mouth moments, but that’s mainly due to his decision to always parry rather than catch.
There won’t be any comparison between the career he goes on to have with Alan Martin’s.

Agreed, he’s definitely a better keeper than Martin! Probably the best I’ve seen at Dumbarton based on what I’ve seen so far.

30 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Agreed, he’s definitely a better keeper than Martin! Probably the best I’ve seen at Dumbarton based on what I’ve seen so far.

That just goes to show how opinions can vary so much. He's decent but still very raw with lots of learning to do (imo).

Duffy was an utter dinosaur in our games against Rangers when they were in league 2 with us. Think we were the only side that never took any points off them that season because of his very very cautious approach in all the games. 

Surprising to see him play that cautious yesterday though. Treating full time sides in the same division with too much respect like he did with a garbage Rangers team.

7 hours ago, squeezeboxson said:

That just goes to show how opinions can vary so much. He's decent but still very raw with lots of learning to do (imo).

I think Danny Rogers would be a more fair comparison given he was at the same stage of his career as Kev is now. And I'd struggle to split them at this stage.

I remember Rogers being criticised a lot during his first six months too with people questioning if he was any better than Shay and Jamie. 

Aldo is the most complete keeper I've seen play for us. He had absolutely everything and his technique was absolutely first class. But he was also in his prime with us and pretty experienced by the time he joined. There's absolutely no question that Kevin is the best keeper we've had since him - but that isn't saying a great deal.