Falkirk v Peterhead - 05/12/20

I was worried we might lose confidence after the Rangers game but I think we've came through that well enough.

We're likely to be without Mutch, Gary Miller & Aiden Keena through injury/covid so assuming the rest are fit I'd go for

Morrison

Mercer Hall Dixon Kelly

Morrison Alston Gomis Connolly

Dowds Sammon

having Telfer & Leitch as good options from the bench. Still think neither striker is a finisher so I'm fairly desperate for Keena to return.

What about Peterhead? How have you looked so far? What's the expectation/hope for this season?

Edited by ilostmyself

We seem to be struggling to get players fit enough to get some sort of continuity.

As I said pre season, staying up is the prime consideration.

If we can get any points at all from the full time teams that will be a bonus, but losing ...as we did on Saturday.....to teams around us may see us back in L2.

Falkirk with a comfortable win on Saturday for me. Hope I'm wrong though.

10 hours ago, ilostmyself said:

I was worried we might lose confidence after the Rangers game but I think we've came through that well enough.

We're likely to be without Mutch, Gary Miller & Aiden Keena through injury/covid so assuming the rest are fit I'd go for

Morrison

Mercer Hall Dixon Kelly

Morrison Alston Gomis Connolly

Dowds Sammon

having Telfer & Leitch as good options from the bench. Still think neither striker is a finisher so I'm fairly desperate for Keena to return.

What about Peterhead? How have you looked so far? What's the expectation/hope for this season?

I wouldn’t be adverse to the idea of playing the same formation as against Rangers. With Alston, Connolly and Morrison all supporting the striker it’ll still be attacking minded with Gomis and Telfer/Todd in the middle. I don’t think a middle two of Alston and Gomis has been particularly working. 

Edited by wee_bairn

22 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

In the last few games, Telfer has come in for Leitch and Connolly has been coming on for Morrison.  I think we're more likely to see Telfer play from the start with Connolly on the bench.  Not sure M&M see Morrison and Connolly playing right/left wing.  

I think it's more they don't want to rush Connolly in considering he's coming back from a hamstring injury. He's been coming on for Morrison purely to give Morrison a rest when the games finished. I'd like to see Morrison Telfer and Connolly play as a three in behind the striker. Sammon's workrates looked a lot better and he's actually been winning some headers but he doesn't look like scoring so I'd rather see Dowds or Francis up top.

Morrison

Mercer Hall Dixon Kelly

Alston Gomis

Morrison Telfer Connolly

Dowds/Francis

Surprised at the few suggestions going one up top, considering I don’t think we have a striker who’s capable of playing up front on their own, and the abuse the likes of Pressley and Houston got for it (and rightly so).

Probably due to the umpteen midfielders we have and with Keena injured, the lack of an effective striker, but think it’s better with 2 out of Dowds, Francis and Sammon up there, rather than any of them on their own.

4 hours ago, Trump said:

Surprised at the few suggestions going one up top, considering I don’t think we have a striker who’s capable of playing up front on their own, and the abuse the likes of Pressley and Houston got for it (and rightly so).

Probably due to the umpteen midfielders we have and with Keena injured, the lack of an effective striker, but think it’s better with 2 out of Dowds, Francis and Sammon up there, rather than any of them on their own.

I don' think we ever control a game with the 2 in the middle. Alston goes missing and Gomis is left all over the shop. On Sunday I actually thought we coped in the middle very well against a good Rangers side. If we used this formation against League 1 sides I think we would dominate games more thus create more chances. I mean 4-4-2 against Forfar at home never exactly brought goals galore.

None of our strikers are on fire at the moment either and playing Francis is an absolute waste of a jersey. I know what you mean that we lack someone able to play up top on his own which may be a problem: although, I'd be confident with Morrison and Connelly either side of the striker with Alston supporting that we would do the damage against most sides in this league. These are probably our three best players outside Keena and feel we need to play them in their most effective position.

Edited by wee_bairn

When we're at home, we should never, ever play only one striker up front. Its a fecking nonsense. Don't care if we're playing the Bigots, Jambos, or Fifers, and certainly not anyone in League One.  FFS, its no more than a lily-livered admission of passive, unadventurous, square-ball football.   Discuss.  

4 minutes ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

When we're at home, we should never, ever play only one striker up front. Its a fecking nonsense. Don't care if we're playing the Bigots, Jambos, or Fifers, and certainly not anyone in League One.  FFS, its no more than a lily-livered admission of passive, unadventurous, square-ball football.   Discuss.  

Ah yes, Liverpool and *checks notes* literally countless other top European clubs who use 1 up front and their notoriously passive, unadventurous square-ball football.

Not saying one up top is the answer. But if we did play it I really hope it’s not Sammon. He just looks so far away from ever scoring again tbh 

12 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Ah yes, Liverpool and *checks notes* literally countless other top European clubs who use 1 up front and their notoriously passive, unadventurous square-ball football.

Not saying one up top is the answer. But if we did play it I really hope it’s not Sammon. He just looks so far away from ever scoring again tbh 

Yeah, but God knows we're not 'Liverpool or literally countless other top European clubs'. We're not very good, remember?  We can't play like them.  And several shitty managers in recent seasons have subjected us to passive, unadventurous, square-ball football.  Its at the root of our current abysmally poor status in the game, no?  (We should be far more assertive at TFS, was my actual point).