Chipped ps1

Stellaboz

I bought a CD writer that burnt compatible discs for this exact reason
Mine had the chip that didn't involve disc swaps. I remember getting gta, civ2, twisted metal, gpolice and a warhammer game for a fiver at a market and the guy trying to tell me I needed the spring etc for 20 quid.
Had a mate set it up similar with blutac and a pen.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, my son had one. When usenet was in its halcyon days you could download pretty much anything within a few days of its official release via winrar and clonedvd.
Oh wow, the pre-torrent and Napster days of Usenet. Downloading hundreds of connected rar files before they disappeared from your providers' servers, then praying none of them were corrupt and the whole download was ruined.

Back in the day, you had to WORK for your warez!

• 3 months later...
26 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Wasnt the gameshark a cheat device? 

An "unexpected" (honest, Yer Honour) side-effect of some of the cheat devices was that they opened up exploits to running pirated games. No idea about the GameShark in particular, but there are some interesting videos about these devices on YouTube for those of us who never owned the consoles at the time.

13 hours ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Aye I got mine chipped down the Barras. Plenty of stalls filled out with pirate games, I wandered about as if I was in dreamland until I got home and the game was in black and white. Puma Street Soccer and Anna Kurnikova’s Smash Court Tennis spring to mind. 

Probably because they were American NTSC versions of the games, rather than European PAL.

A lot of old PAL CRT televisions either couldn't cope with NTSC signals at all, or used some kind of hybrid system to display the picture, which involved dropping the colour. I forget the details. I remember getting a VHS that could play NTSC tapes, only to discover that my TV couldn't handle it, and everything was in monochrome  :rolleyes:

I had mines chipped but remember my mate the the device that clipped into the back and you had to spin a legit disc with the lid open first. 

I always remember playing Smackdown on his console and the Big Show coming out to Trish Stratus' entrance (music, theme, walk, the lot) and not knowing why the f**k it was happening 😂

I was a bit obsessed with TV quiz shows and so had who wants to be a millionaire, and the weakest link games among others. 🙈

I also modded my Wii U a few years back and can download any game for that. I originally done it for Breath of the Wild as I didn't want to buy a Switch at the time.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

I also had the spinny disc plug in trick for the chipped games.

What a time!

I mind back in the days of the console magazines being the go to for cheats etc, one magazine actually printed a way to disc swapping method that didn't require the device plugged into the back, 

Iirc you had to swap between any legit and your copied game about 3 or 4 times so the country code was recognised when it was required, but it worked, f**k knows how the mag got away with it lol

Wasnt the gameshark a cheat device? 
As the above guys said, it was sold as a cheat device but you plugged it in the back and put the spring it came with into the disk space, there was a button at the back to tell the ps1 when the lid was closed,

You then started the ps with a normal disk and it would stop, switch the disk with a copy and you were good to go,

I used to have a redicculos amount of games, down to blockbuster and copy it before returning,

Later versions of the ps1 didn't come with the slot at the back that the gameshark plugged into, and I'm not sure any of the cheat codes on the gameshark actually worked

As the above guys said, it was sold as a cheat device but you plugged it in the back and put the spring it came with into the disk space, there was a button at the back to tell the ps1 when the lid was closed,

You then started the ps with a normal disk and it would stop, switch the disk with a copy and you were good to go,

I used to have a redicculos amount of games, down to blockbuster and copy it before returning,

Later versions of the ps1 didn't come with the slot at the back that the gameshark plugged into, and I'm not sure any of the cheat codes on the gameshark actually worked
I used to do exactly the same - rent games from blockbuster, copy them and return.

In fact, pretty sure I had to buy a new CD writer for the PC that would burn compatible discs.

5 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

Aye the gameshark defo worked with cheats, it basically altered certain codes in the game, you could start games with endgame weapons etc lol

This thread bringing back a lot of happy memories of simpler times! Slightly off topic but I remember buying the PS magazines for the “demos disks” that allowed you to play their first couple of modes of new games that were about to be released, Abe’s Oddysee being my favourite.  

Edited by IainMorton