Chipped ps1

Stellaboz

Anyone had one of those back in the day? My old man refused to do it as he wanted to keep the warranty fucking valid on the ps, despite the fact you could get games for fucking pennies over at Ingleston. And he only ever got me the platinum collection games, rarely ever a brand new title.

Any good chipped memories?

I had one, was my first ever console. My dad used to buy the games off a bloke in his work.

First game was TOCA Touring Car Championship 2, but the best game was definitely Driver. Spent absolutely ages trying to do a Reverse 180 in the car park.

1 hour ago, G51 said:

I had one, was my first ever console. My dad used to buy the games off a bloke in his work.

First game was TOCA Touring Car Championship 2, but the best game was definitely Driver. Spent absolutely ages trying to do a Reverse 180 in the car park.

Don't think I ever got past the first level in Driver. 

Can still remember the intro scene where the car is going down round the car park, followed by the police.

Would love to play it again

1 minute ago, UAE1929 said:

Can still remember the intro scene where the car is going down round the car park, followed by the police.

It was a great game.

The mission that used to always f**k me over was the one when you're chasing the monorail. Just an absolute b*****d of a thing to keep up with.

Wasn't lucky enough to have one as a kid, but recently I bought one of those PS Classic units for real cheap and they're rather easy to mod. With a 250gb flash drive you can have pretty much every PS1 game you want  (see the wheel below). Also with RetroArch installed you can easily emulate consoles older than the PS1 and with those ROM files being so small you can have the entire NES, SNES, Genesis, Atari, etc. libraries complete and they all run really well.

The child version of me dreamed of something like this.

5-D4-CEA97-E8-F5-493-C-9084-1-F9-C7-DECB193.jpg

Edited by kyle*
spelling

The training in the car park? Yeah, I remember spending hour's trying to get passed that.

Don't play it again, it hasn't aged well

I thought Driver was great at the time, probably aged horribly. The last mission with all the black cars was utterly insane though. 

I mind when Driver 2 was released and you could ACTUALLY GET OUT AND WALK! Absolute scenes. Still couldn't run people over though.

I didn't have mine chipped but had a wee gizmo that plugged into the back and a spring that held the case open. You then let an original disc boot up and then swapped it for a copied one.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

I didn't have mine chipped but had a wee gizmo that plugged into the back and a spring that held the case open. You then let an original disc boot up and then swapped it for a copied one.

I had the spring one!  Nice wee bit of engineering, looking back.  

I did. I also had a ps2 (I think) that died but I managed to get about 9 more months out of it by wrapping it in a towel and forcing it to overheat, at which point the connection was completed by the misshapen overheated bits (I think that's the technical explanation iirc) 

I think just about everyone had their PS1 chipped. I was 7 or 8 when I got mine chipped and, to this day, still have no idea how it was done. I got cheap games though and that's all that mattered.

Not sure if anyone ever encountered the same problem but for a while my PS1 was connected to an old school TV that didn't have a SCART socket. Some of my "chipped" games were the American versions and would be in black and white for some reason [emoji23]. I was amazed when I got a new TV and all my games were then in glorious colour.

I think just about everyone had their PS1 chipped. I was 7 or 8 when I got mine chipped and, to this day, still have no idea how it was done. I got cheap games though and that's all that mattered.

Not sure if anyone ever encountered the same problem but for a while my PS1 was connected to an old school TV that didn't have a SCART socket. Some of my "chipped" games were the American versions and would be in black and white for some reason [emoji23]. I was amazed when I got a new TV and all my games were then in glorious colour.
PAL v NTSC

The games would have been in NTSC and your old TV didn't support it. The new one did.

UK games are PAL

Mine is sat in n a drawer here, would need to dig it out and check it still works.
Nothing better than pc CD writer, blockbuster card and a chipped ps1

21 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I had a chipped ps1. I got a pirate copy of a game called Thrill Kill, that was never released as it was considered too violent.

It was pretty fucking tame tbh.

On that note, I realised I had Carmageddon on Steam, and I remember that being treated like it was a snuff film back in the day.  Young me thought it was the dogs bollocks with its swearing and violence, but f**k me is it tame now.